Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my sat nav and info screen seems to have gone blank as is the reversing camera if i hold down 2 buttons underneath it reboots and screen comes on but no touch screen is working,has anyone else suffered this and can it be repaired or re programmed.cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Bertie, there is a lot of previous discussion on this subject (the search tab is your friend).This is a known product failure which Chevrolet will not openly acknowledge.
The sat nav will probably work first thing of a morning when it is cool/cold. As soon as the vehicle warms up the functions progressively 'die'. The cause is the CPU has no heat sink and explained very simply the processor progressively closes down to self protect from overheating.

Other than the fact you have posted under Captiva forum you dont give the year, series, variant (please will all posters give their vehicle details in the footer) neither have you completed your location (which helps repliers direct you to a local solution).

On the assumption your vehicle is out of original warranty then you can try a self repair if you are technically minded by purchasing heat sink fins from computer parts supplier and applying them to the cpu. Removing the existing unit can be difficult without trim removal tools (on eBay). Also some access via the upper dash centre tray.

If you have had the foresight to take out Extended Warranty then lodge a claim asap within terms of your cover.

A replacement unit supplied & fitted will cost about £1200+.
Or a new Tom Tom £150

For previous discussion, type in 'Multimedia screen dead' in search tab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
I reply to Aussie Ed and others I had this problem last year, it was repaired by the dealer, and withing 11 months all has gone dead again. Dealer and Chevrolet have washed their hands of me and say I will have to pay £1350 for new Sat Nav etc.
Reversing camera and heating controls and ancillary equipment lost, so cannot part exchange.
Vehicle otherwise perfect.
I would have thought under my consumer rights I should have a claim as the repaired sat nav should have lasted more than 11 months before failing again.
Any thoughts ?

John
Chevrolet Captiva 2.2 LTD Auto

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Go seek advice from Citizen Advice Bureau and/or your local trading standards officer.Take copies of your receipts etc showing the previous work (read first if there were any restrictive clauses limiting the 'repair' warranty). Question could be was it a 'repair' of the original with repair limitations or was it in fact replaced as a new unit. If the latter then 12 months warranty should apply.
I would think that it was probably a new unit because the time spent 'fiddling about' with any failed cpu (there are several on this unit) and the cost of man hours makes the repair unviable especially when they dont know if it is going to work until it is all connected up again.
Other approach is to issue a small claim (on line - £70 I think) and they will probably capitulate by reply as the cost of defending a known and repetitive failure item is not in their interests to defend. You can claim your costs too. Make sure if a repaired unit or a brand new unit before taking this action or you might be on thin ice if the former.
As I've indicated previously see if it is totally 'cooked' first. Check if it works in the cold of night; if so then it is the cpu overheating and you could do a DIY attempt at removing the unit and applying good heat sinks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I have a reply from Honest John, it would seem I shall have to buy a new unit. I will try the Wolverhampton company first, recommended by a contributor here on the forum
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Newbie

Surely you are not having the same problem!!!
Chevrolet although quite positive to me at the beginning have now washed their hands of me. I wonder whether Anne Robinson's could help, her programme was very helpful when I had collapsed suspension on my Citroen. Citroen did agree to refund all those owners immediately. I wonder whether Chevy would do so for the many of us who have a failed Sat Nav system.
Perhaps I will contact the BBC programme.

I have posted the reply from Black Ice below. They have not been in contract with me yet.

Dear John Morris-Roberts

Thank you for contacting Black ICE. We will reply to you personally as soon as we can.

Instead either telephone on 07811 000 491 or alternatively visit our website and use the contact details displayed there
www.<wbr>blackiceaudio.<wbr>co.<wbr>uk/contact.<wbr>php<wbr>

If you have experienced our service and would like to share a review with others, you can do this on our website here
www.<wbr>blackiceaudio.<wbr>co.<wbr>uk/add_a_review.<wbr>php<wbr>

Below is a copy of the message you submitted:
------------------------------<div =" plain-text noI18n"><wbr>--------------------
Name : John
Comments:
You have been recommended on the Chevrolet Forum website. I have a Chevy Captiva, and the Sat Nav and ancillary workings have stopped working. It did so last May 2015, was repaired, but in April this year on returning from Spain stopped altogether.
I live in Telford, do you think you, as the experts in the field can help. Kr John

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
JMR said:
Thanks for all the replies. I have a reply from Honest John, it would seem I shall have to buy a new unit. I will try the Wolverhampton company first, recommended by a contributor here on the forum
John

John, I'm disappointed to hear that. It would seem therefore that your earlier 'repair' was a repair and not a new unit and therefore came with limited warranty which you must have somewhere in the terms & conditions. If it was indeed a 'new' unit I would still be inclined to pursue a more robust approach.
Honest John by the way doesnt always get things right!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thanks for that,sounds like a good idea to contact watchdog but i tried with the oil leak issue and got no joy.lets go for it if you need any back up to contact them as well let me know as maybe the more the merrier.good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
old post but i found it when looking so hope it helps someone.. i so i fixed this by replacing the 2 electrolitic capacitors on the psu board in the lcd display this is a easy and cheep (for parts anyway) fix, look up on youtube how to remove the lcd once you have that out of car you can opn it up a desolder the caps and replace, or ask you local mobile phone repaire shop todo this its very easy an worth a try as a first fix

1 - 10 of 10 Posts