Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have ordered my new Orlando and expect to take delivery Jan/Feb. Looking forward to that!
Could anyone give me a review on the SatNav system please? Is it good? Easy/hard to use? Good coverage? Accurate? Easy to upgrade?
Looking forward to your responses.
Regards,
Robert.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an Orlando, I had the sat nav as part of the package.

I was disappointed to find that the sat nav only covers England and does not do post codes. As I live in Spain it was useless, I enquired about the discs for europe and found that each country or part country a disc was going to cost 105 pounds each, to get full europe would cost in excess of a thousand pounds.

I am definitely not impressed with the cost, as for how good it works I would only give 7 out of ten because it has to be programmed exact and it is complicated to get it right and i have used mine extensively across europe. Now I just use it as a guide and ignore its directions most of the time.

The reviews on the net say do not bother with the built in sat nav it is cheaper to buy one that stick on the screen.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Sat nav is made by Nav tech, it does say with the discs that it covers main roads of europe, but only certain main roads and you could not get anywhere with the info supplied. When I programme it to go anywhere, at the bottom of my road it always says turn left, I have no idea why as it leads nowhere.

When I programme it for towing a heavy load ( My caravan ) it will take me down lanes, once in rural spain it wanted me to go through a town, the police stopped me and said I would not even be able to drive through let alone with a caravan I had to try in a tiny town centre to turn round.

The problem is in the programming fastest, shortest. and economical get that wrong and you will go down every side street imaginable.

Sorry to put a dampener on it, but tomorrow I am going to a camp site near Barcelona, no way in the world will I trust the sat nav to get me there, my wife will sit with a map. I am also going for a long weekend in Portugal no way am I going to buy at 105 pounds a disc for portugal for a weekend I could go on for hours with this, but you did ask.

If you are never going to leave the UK fine, but no post codes only longitude and latitude.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you bopeep for your valuable input... much appreciated.
@ Medic111 - I ordered my Orlando on the 3rd of July and I am told it should arrive late January or early February.
Regards,
Robert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Robert,

Just bought a 2011 ex-demo Orlando LTZ with Sat Nav and am very impressed with the display, accuracy and information. I have had a few older Tom Toms and also drive a 2006 Audi A4 with the factory sat nav and it's way better than that! It loads the DVD into on-board memory, so that must be good for starters, as my Audi is constantly having trouble reading the disc. The display res is quite high, so nice graphics. Its a full 7-charactor post code database and also has all of the standard POIs in the database.

I drove back from Derby to Reading this week and the traffic system re-routed me 3 times on the journey because of delays on the M1 and then M40, so that was also impressive.

I don't think supports 3D view, unless i haven't found that setting yet, but all-in-all, its a nice unit and well worth the money, especially with the extra features you get out of the larger screen for radio, cd and ipod etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi nnind 33Am I hearing you right about the sat nav in the orlando that you get post codes. I have tried but my models just does not seem to have them. Unless I am doing something wrong

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all,

I finally took delivery of my new Orlando on the 1st of March and I am thoroughly enjoying it!!!
My SatNav doesn't seem to have Postcode facility though??? And it is loaded off an SD card not a CD disc. Works excellently though. Is there a way to put in Post Codes?

Regards,
Robert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, go to destination - city, put first 2 letters of postcode in & numbers will appear to complete, postcode, hope this helps,

·
Registered
82 Posts
My orlando is a Feb 2011 and the sat nav is built in, it runs off of a CD disc, I have also bought another 4 discs for different countries, you must have either a later one or a different one.Not able to try the post codes because I am not in the UK. GPS will have to do

·
Registered
69 Posts
So far used Google Earth and put in Deg, Mins & Secs for position eek! puts you within 10ft is this sat nav Miltitary. But thanks forthe idea putting the first part of post code, the problem with post codes is in some places its a whole village and area. What I do like about itis not the voice saying recalculating which is so irrating on other sat navs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There appears to be several models of Sat Nav on the orlando, mine was ordered in July 2011 but arrived in January 2012 and info for Sat Nav loaded from a SD card. Many of the problems many of us are experiencing I think is due to being a highly sophiscated vehicle and us being thick especially with a very large instruction book these things in the drawing off where call destruction manuals and with good reason. Everythng should be made idiot proof, but still think for a large vehicle it is great to drive with a few niggles main one being lack of light when opening drivers door, the other is that unusual rather accurate sat nav. Don't think you could call it a niggle when parked and alsowith neighbours wanting to know about it and wanting a conducted tour and the oh's& ah's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Found out how to use the post code system which is so different to the other systems I have used, managed after a few goes from the info kindly provided here. Wish now I can turn radio off at the same time as sat nav on other than putting it on mute. Have used the sat nav to find away round a traffic hold up by watching my red arrow on the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the postcode info.

I have the cd based satnav and entering the full 6/7 character postcode in the city box works perfectly, I don't understand why the do not mention this in the manual!

·
Registered
69 Posts
By changing the deffinition of the map shown you can pick up tiny roads which enables you dodge road works. Until I had the built in Sat Nav on my Orlando LTZ Auto with the info on a SD card I was using a Garmin portable Sat Nav so going to the Orlando's Sat Nav was a very steep learning curve. The Lat & Longtitude feature is very useful for me as County Access and Bridleways Officer for the British Horse Society for giving the position of Bridleways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts