Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just booked my 2009 Captiva in for it's second service at the local Chevrolet dealer and they are quoting £250 inc vat, oil, filter e.t.c. for a 'major' service.
This is the first time I have had it serviced as I bought it second hand and it's first service had already been carried out.

Wondered what prices the rest of you have been charged from other dealers.

Also for info, the tailgate has stopped opening fully which has caused me to whack my head on it quite a few times now. It seems to be a problem with the struts which I should hopefully get replaced under warranty. I had read on another post that someone else has had the same problem. May be something to keep an eye on.

Ambits

·
Registered
652 Posts
Have the same problem with the tailgate struts. They only dont open fully by very little (bad english... but think you'll know what I mean), but I have clouted my head several times.

Was told that this isnt a warranty thing as they are in tolerance and new ones could be exactly the same. Not sure I agree, but as it was so little, let this one go.

Let me know how you get on, as I will push harder if you succeed. Trouble is my warranty runs out next month (Feb 2011).

·
Registered
997 Posts
The second service is a major with air and fuel filters and 6.5 litres of very expensive oil (about £9-£10 a litre retail) as well as the oil filter and other sundries, it's probably in the ball park.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Service cost sounds about right they do a fair bit to it and about the struts now you mention it my one is the same i will have to check them

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took Captiva in for service today and had a call from dealer within about an hour...not good.

Apparently they are having problems removing the oil filter and say it is cross threaded and must have been fitted incorrectly at it's first service by a different Chevrolet dealer (before I owned the car).

As it's not covered by warranty they say I need to pay for a new Oil Filter housing...plus labour.They have yet to confirm the price!!

They say they won't get involved with the other dealer who did the first service. All I can see me doing is footing the bill so I can get my car back (need it at the weekend for a trip to family wedding!), getting the faulty parts from them as proof and having a fight with the first dealer about covering the costs of faulty workmanship.

I'm alsonow driving around in a Chevrolet Spark courtesy car.......interesting.....compact.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Speak to Chevrolet UK customer service- all of the dealers are part of the same network so they should be dealing with any shoddy workmanship issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer has ordered the parts in for tomorrow so if all goes to plan I'll be back inmy car with some decent headroom..and a boot.
They arecharging me £150 for parts / labour but did speak to the service manager at theother dealership and explained the problem. Apparently the other dealership will talk to me onceI have the faulty parts.....will wait and see.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the car back today with a new Oil filter housing cap. The main housing is metal but the cap is plastic and that is what was cross threaded. Still cost me £140 which I will now chase up with the previous dealer.
Service went O.K but they said there was nothing wrong with the Tailgate struts and have just lubricated them. Will see how many times I keep banging my head on it and go from there.

Still very happy with the Captiva and glad to get it back, no more Chevrolet Spark courtesy car...hurray

·
Registered
14 Posts
captivamondo said:
Service cost sounds about right they do a fair bit to it and about the struts now you mention it my one is the same i will have to check them
is it ok if i would replaced mine with a gabriel strut ? im planning for it to buy..some other says that it wear out quickly..can you recommend mates some other type of struts?
Edited by: PhilipCruz

·
Registered
476 Posts
If the struts are gas filled low ambient temperatures sometimes effect there performance, when the weather warms up they may start to preform better. If they do at least you will only bang your head in winter!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Service costs sound about right. I did oil and filter change myself on my 2008 LT diesel and two 5 litre packs (cos you need 6.25 litres!) of oil cost £46 each; filter was about a tenner. Add air filter, labour and VAT and you are probably looking at £200+ at a garage. Can anyone tell me whether it is absolutely necesary to change the big oil seal on the filter unit (i.e. the one that requires removal of the oil filter housingwith draining of coolant) when you change the oil filter? I didn't last time cos it looks a pig to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh and yes - I've clouted my head several times on the tailgate expecting it to be higher than it is. Seems to be mainly a winter problem tho - the struts do function better in the summer!!Can't offer a solution exceptemigrate to Spain!

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Mark, picking up rather belatedly on your strutt problem; try a little 3in1 oil on the strutt, open and close a few times and then wipe away any excess oil off the body housing. I do this a couple of times a year. Makes operation much smoother.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts