Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my epica diesel in for warranty work, replace split oil cooler pipe and deal with aircon recall, but Evans Halshaw "service Advisor" (as the mechanic is now called)found another minor oil leak around the cam cover, should mean another trip but will not return to Evans Halshaw in St Albans. I asked for a supplementary oil change at my expense so that I would know it had been done, having bought the car just 2 months ago as a Pentagon Chevrolet used car. I checked the oil level immediately afterto ensure not overfilled, but when I got home had a nasty shock,as the "Service Advisor" filled up the engine with the wrong grade of oil, which could have been fatal for the engine long term. Oil has now been replaced with Castrol Edge fully synthetic. Have told Chevrolet of my concerns and Evans Halshaw have refunded the cost of the oil change.

Not the fault of the receptionists, but poor reflection on dealer servicing in the uk.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Actually scrub that, I will need to get 0W-40 I think, lol too many oil grades, so confusing, lol

Anyway, reading through the manual, it says service intervals should be 1 year or 30,000km, which makes it 20,000 mile intervals?

Thought I read somewhere that it was every 10,000 miles?

·
Registered
56 Posts
you will find a bit about oil changes at 10,000 ignore at your peril! In the end mine had an oil change at an average 3000 miles over the life of the vehicle before i got fed up and got shot of it! that was 8 oil changes in 34000 miles

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
Interesting comment. Which grade did you end up using 5-30 or 0-40? Just asking because if you used the 40 that may have had effect of quietening the engine. Might try it next time myself. I've been a long term user of Magnatec 5-30 for several years as my vehicle has sporadic use with 'standing time' between use and the Magnatec is reported to leave a 'film' to protect on startup.Remember to use C3 if diesel engine.
Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The Castrol website advises Edge as 1st choice or magnatec as alternative

NTS once changed my Mondeo oil and used edge, when i said it should have had Magnatec they drained it and refilled, it had only don 20 miles....lol

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
should my Epica have an engine underpan to remove to get to the sump plug/filter and is there a special socket like the Ford?

whats the cambelt interval?

I couldnt find a Haynes book

Parts seem more expensive and factors dont hold much

·
Registered
164 Posts
Aye, a lot of stuff is dealer only, but there isn't a cover for the sump, and no special tool either needed for the sump. Cambelt I believe is every 60K

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts