Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Matiz, 2006,4 door, 1.0litre
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replaced complete Matiz sills/rockers.
I've purchased complete new items but looks like doors, wings need to be removed to fit. Any hints, tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
528 Posts
Not specifically on the Matiz, but other vehicles I have done. Looking at the sill section of the Matiz in the workshop manual, it has a fairly simply 3 section sill, with a "non structural" outer skin, and two structural inner skins, this is part way between the older two section sills, and the complex and much safer modern designs, the Aveo having further stiffening members.
My fairly limited experience of this type of design is that what at first looks like a perforated outer skin, is actually concealing considerable corrosion that has crept up the other two layers, and it is these that require a huge amount of patching work before you ever get round to clapping on the skin sill!

This Russian fellow, "Garage33" does a lot of these sort of repairs, I recommend looking through his back catalogue for some inspiration, and some idea of what you might find when you go digging.

Most of Matizes I see out in the wild, that have have had sill repairs in the places that you would expect, behind the front wheel arch, and immediately in front of the rear wheel arch (like the Skoda in the video). If I were dealing with your situation, I would be looking to only cut out the affected parts first, to access how bad things are underneath. Chevrolet did us no favours by not using galvanised steel, and not using cavity wax.

Why not post some detailed pictures of your situation, so we can better advise?

Since you are planning to do this, I assume you have a fair bit of welding experience. The workshop manual shows the cut lines, and also points out that is very easy to damage the structural "B" post by careless cutting of the outer skin.

Head Arm Eye Leg Human body

1 - 2 of 2 Posts