Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys i was looking for a skid plate set for my new 2011 Captiva LS and had a stroke of luck after finding a link to a chevrolet price list and part numbers.-(D93744199 Skid plate set front and rear)

I have been and ordered them this morning for a bargain price direct from my chevy dealer of £98.53 inc vat,and not the inflated price of from £130 upwards,Should be here mid week so thats my job for the easter weekend.

Spider41

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Spider
I have just bought a new LT and wanted to fit skid plates. Was they easy to fit and whats involved? do you need to drill into the skirt of the car?

AJ

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Aj yes they are ok to fit,but id check the price as it said on the price i seen includes fitting,if this is the case get them fitted.

If not it's only five 12mm bolts and a few small phillips screws. The worst part is removing the old one as it's also held in place with some crocodile type clips,(i could not get to these) so gave a brisk pull and they came off.

They are screwed from the inside bumper at four points, but same again I could not get to these from under the car so snipped them and removed screws when the old one was off and relocated the new one in the old holes the rest just snaps into place but line up under the car first then snap into location or you wont get the screws to line up when redoing everything back underneath.

Be Gentle with the rear one as this is not as solid and moves about more. My plastic one started to tear at the corner when removing so i did the same as the front and snipped the clip then cleaned before putting the new one on. Same again line up underneath snap into place and redo the plastic screws(do not over tighten as these are fragile)

Hope this helps maybe a bit too detailed any questions message me.

P.S I'm not the most tech minded or patient of people must be a scottish thing.

Spider

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Spider

I will phone and ask for a fitted price and if not I will have a go myself.

The Tech minded must be a scottish thing cause I am scottish also.

Thanks for all the detail its much appreciated

AJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
By 'Skid Plate' do you just mean the grey/silver plastic bumper insert as seen on 2010/11 LTX models? If so, do you realise that this is only cosmetic and offers no extra protection?

I recently enquired with my main dealer as I quite like the grey/silver insert (I have an LT model which has black plastic inserts). I have pricing for the parts.. which come un-painted. I am in the process of getting a price for painting (from a 3rd party body shop). If anyone is interested in the 'finished' price, reply OR PM me for details.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Gal as i said in my previous thread they come painted silver as seen on the LTZ and im sure there is a price list that says fitted,this would be the way to go as it is a bit nippy.

I am aware they do not give extra protection but hey they look much better than the standard plastic grayish ones.

Spider41

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spider

I managed to get the skid plates for the same price as you. The price fitted that I was quoted was £400 so I opted to fit myself. I did that today and all went well. Thanks very much for your help.

regards

AJ

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you got them on okay,Im sure you had the same problems I did,Hey never mind as long as they are on and looking the part,I bet they look even better knowing you just saved £400 hard earned big ones
And the peace of mind that they are fitted right,with nothing missing.

The front was the biggest nightmare I bet. Were yours already painted as another thread said his were not??????.

Glad to have been some help.

Spider

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spider

Yes the front one was the worst and yes they did come painted.

Worth it though as they look good.

Thanks Again

AJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts