Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm Karen and I am currently waiting to take delivery of my first Chevrolet vehicle. Quite excited but will probably havea bit of a wait still to go.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Welcome! Please take the time to read about all the little things that are so important nowadays to protect your investment. Please read your handbook about usage, warning lights and of course servicing. 99'9% of dealers selling you a new car will want to help you. Always ask your dealer first, it is in their interest to have a satisfied customer. I'm on my third korean chevrolet, and if i can find something to match the epica it will be number 4 soon.. bring on the malibu....

Don't forget the oil changes................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys thanks for the welcome. I was considering taking out the 3 year chevrolet servicing deal at £450 when i take delivery of my new car, but don't know if this is a good price or not. can anyone advise what costs are these days for a first second and third service. Also I work for a lubricant distribution company and have only ever put Mobil engine oil in my cars, hence at servicing I always supply my own oil, but i can't find anywhere what grade is required for the new vauxhall 2.2 ltr diesel engines that are used in the new Captiv, can anyone help with this.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Each service on a Captiva is about £240, so if you're getting 3 services, then it's a good deal. The oil grade is likely to be 5w40 with C3, which makes it expensive (the C3 bit is for the DPF), but I'm not 100% sure.. BTW, it's not a Vauxhall engine, it's based on an Italian VM unit and used in the hyundai santa fe and others. It's a GM group engine which is used in Vauxhalls, not the other way around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for putting me straight on that, either way im hoping that it is a tried and tested unit with proven reliability. I have read about all sorts of problems software and otherwise and am hoping that they have worked out a lot of the bugs on the new captiva. I've always stuck with vauxhalls and never had a single issue with any of them and they have been ultra reliable. I hope i haven't made a mistake in changing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My last car was a Vauxhall Zafira, had it from new for four and a half years, never had a single thing go wrong with it. I've had the new Captiva for just under six months and its already been back for two warranty repairs!
I still prefer the Captiva, its got something about it, and I like the fact you don't see many of them around. In fact I reckon all the owners in the UK are on this forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're the repairs major problems? I'm beginning to wish I'd gone for a different manufacturer now. I liked the vw tiguan and the qashqai +2 but the captiva ltz came fully loaded as standard and the new model looks very substantial and really caught my eye. This is my first 4wd or awd and certainly the biggest vehicle I will ever own. I'm getting quite anxious about all the problems people are having with them though.

Apparently my new car is due to arrive into the UK towards the end of June with an expected turnaround time for delivery to me early July. (I ordered the car on 31st March) I have chosen black color and added the chevy mats and the load liner in with my order. I'm not overly fussed about the leadtime as I think I got a good price at £23500 for a brand new factory order ltz.

·
Registered
119 Posts
One was a medium problem, replacement of cooling fan. Other was minor, replacement of throttle sensor. Each time the car was only in for a couple of hours, and on each occasion the car was still perfectly driveable prior to going in.

At the end of the day the five year warranty should hopefully cover most eventualities and although its a pain having to take the car in, you have to accept there might be one or two issues as the car beds in. I was probably lucky with the Zafira because I've heard of plenty of people having problems with it. Besides the Captiva comes with a lot more kit, hence raising the chances of there being a problem.

Once you get over the mpg being nowhere near the brochure figures, I'm sure you'll start to love it.Edited by: jonnybgood

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reassurance. As you say hopefully the 5 year warranty should cover most issues.
On the aspect of fuel consumption,I know it may sound crazy but to be honest I am not expecting super duper mpg, so I shouldnt feel too let down on that side of things.
My current car a vauxhall Corsa Design 1.2 only gets mid to low 30's MPG, I dont know if this had anything to do with the uprated sports suspension and larger wheel option from new but I never seem to have had a good return. (Mind you my Corsawas factory order and the suspension and bigger wheels were an option that I took, so you would have thought that the car would have been optimised on performance with that in mind). Anyway can't wait for my new Captiva.

Got a call from the Dealer yesterday saying that they were expecting it to land in UK at the end of June with a turnaround for collection by me early July. Will probably be a little over 3 months from order to supply. I ordered my Corsa above in July 2007 in ready for the new Sept plate coming out that year and didnt actually get the car until 10th Dec 2007, so I am used to waiting a longtime for cars.

·
Registered
180 Posts
jonnybgood said:
At the end of the day the five year warranty should hopefully cover most eventualities

Captiva Kaz said:
As you say hopefully the 5 year warranty should cover most issues.

5 years ?? I thought it was 3 years ??

It says 3 years in my "Warranty and Service Guide" (Service Book).

Although just read on the Chevrolet website it is 5 years. Has it recently changed ??

Only bought my Captiva last week, so now totally confused

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think the new Captiva brochure says 3 year warranty at the back as well.
However, the current warranty on all Chevrolet models except the Volt is 5 years or 100,000 miles. I double checked it with the salesman when I bought my Captiva 6 months ago.

I believe it was upgraded from a 3 year warranty around a year or so ago. It might even have been around the time the new Captiva came out, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I ordered my car at the end of March, I was told that it now comes with a five year warranty, but still waiting for delivery so will let you know if the warranty book has been amended to reflect that. Dealer rung me yesterday to advise that hopefully I should be taking delivery by the end of this month. Fingers crossed, the wait is excruciating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts