Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I couldnt find an existing post on this so; where should i look for the best deal on a space saver wheel for my Aveo? Ive currently got 15 inch alloys fitted so do i need to look for a 15 inch space saver wheel? I assume a space saver is lighter than a spare alloy (and cheaper).

Thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
Space savers tend to be different sized to the rest of the wheels, so because you have 15" alloys does not necessarily mean you need the same diameter of space-saver. What you need to do is compare rolling radii of the space saver and the alloy and get them to be as close as possible. There are a number on line that allow you to calculate for different wheel sizes, as if you are doing an alloy upgrade. For example, a 155/80/12 has the same rolling radius, near as **** it, to a 185/60/13. Match your rolling radii and you'll be fine. I'm sure the standard space-saver, if it has one, will be fine for short periods. Most manufacturers stick to the same radii with different wheel and tyre combinations as it saves altering the speedo gearing etc.
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
380 Posts
for the epica, i bought a single alloy wheel (team dynamics) and put a budget tyre as that is a lot safer, as you should only do 30miles at 30mph (recommended) on a spacesaver. for the 1.4 aveo (2009) I got one with a tyre drom a scrappie, £60 in good nick, just a different style, but if i have to drive 200 miles on a wet sunday then i know i'm safe. Is yours a new aveo? 5 bolts? maybe you can get a steel wheel from a dealer, or try team dynamics aftermarket they will sell you a single one despite what the retailers say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, ill phone around the dealers. My Aveo has 4 bolts on the wheels. Should the same size wheels for the older aveos or other chevrolets be OK? Only reason i ask is some of the wheel websites i found earlier varied prices based on what seemed to be the age of the car eg old aveo wheels were cheaper than ones for newer (2011+) aveos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've noticed that the tyres on my 1.4LT automatic are 185/65 but 165 on the older Aveo. So I suspect you'll need a new tyre if you want to drive it any distance as the big number indicates the weight bearing capacity - presumably the new Aveo is heavier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For anyone else thinking of a spare wheel i found this site which is quite helpful regarding wheel sizes:
http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

Also has anyone had any success ordering wheels from JCwhitney? Its a US based site but has some good looknig deals on alloys. Not entirely sure what all the number mean yet (still figuring them out) and im waiting for them to confirm whether or not they deliver to the UK but if anyone has already used them and has advice id appreciate it:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/verse-wheel/p2024158.jcwx?skuId=885914&filterid=c51751u0j1

·
Registered
82 Posts
The New Aveo appears to have a deep well meant for a full size spare but is only supplied with the stupid gunge useless if a side wall splits as happened to me recently. If the well will accept a full size spare wheel best to buy one rather than a space saver. I drove the New Aveo and did not like it at all, the rear drum brakes are poor after being used to discs on my Cruze and I find the dash totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
997 Posts
100mpg, remember if importing they may look cheap, but you'l be hit for UK vat at 20% plus import duty at when they arrive- with the cost of shipping it's usually much cheaper to buy in the UK or at a stretch, EU.

For example, from the US;
<h4 style="padding-top: 17px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 1px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; line-height: 14px; color: rgb22, 21, 23; font-family: Arial, sans-serif, Helvetica; : rgb234, 244, 208; ">Import duty & tax rates</h4>Calculation exampleThe actual import duty & taxes due are determined by the value of the product and the cost of importing. Here is an example calculation for import duty & taxes for importing<strong style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Alloy wheelsinto<strong style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">United Kingdomfrom<strong style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">United States:[/B][/B][/B]<t style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "></t><t></t><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" ="tbl-cmn"="" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 4px; margin-left: 0px; color: rgb22, 21, 23; font-family: Arial, sans-serif, Helvetica; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; : rgb234, 244, 208; "><t><tr style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">Product value:</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">£1131.80</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "></td></tr><tr style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">Shipping costs:</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">£194.21</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "></td></tr><tr style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">Insurance costs:</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">£52.91</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "></td></tr><tr style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">Total import value:</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">£1378.92</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "></td></tr><tr style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">Import duty @3%:</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">£41.37</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "></td></tr><tr style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">Import VAT @20%:</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; ">£284.06</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "></td></tr><tr style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Total import duty & VAT:[/B]</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">£325.43[/B]</td><td style="font-size: 12px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 11px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 0px; "></td></tr></t></table>Obviously, cheaper wheels will cast less in duty, but they're never going to be exempt, so unless they're really cheap and you can't get them in Europe, it doesn't make any sense to import them.

Just saying....

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whaaaat? they charge duty and tax on shipping AND insurance???!!! what is that all about?Thanks for the info anyway Bigian ill factor that in when get the info from the supplier but by my *** pack math and the other post saying a uk dealer is charging 225 for ONE wheel think its still going to be cheaper from abroad. if you or anyone else knows of any european suppliers I'd appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you go to wheelbase alloys online and select new aveo it will show you a 15" wheel, (msw 19)which is the same that fits the corsa 05 onwards if you input the information for both cars you get the same result, taking note of 4 or 5 stud differences, so therefore you can find a siutable alloy in a scra[yard, ok the design will be different, but it will get you home, otherwise go to a vauxhall dealer and get a steel wheel. For my epica 1 got a single alloy wheel from team dynamics, ok it's a different style, but does the job for me. If you have an aftermarket alloy wheel supplier near you, go and see them as most are very helpful, otherwise try calling barry at cresser redditch to see if he can cut you a deal, but £225 is over the top, i only paid£150 for the epica wheel and a brand new 17" tyre.happy motoring

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It turns out that JCWhitney can ship to the UK but its via some other company. The wheel i linked to in an earlier post came to £99 inclduing tax and transport (but they didnt mention anythnig about insurance). HOWEVER i cannot confirm it wil fit my Aveo as i dont knwo enough about the numbers so.....

Can anyone help with the specs that the alloy wheels, as supplied with the new Aveo (LT), meet? I cant find any useful information in the owners manual.The ones i have on mine are R15 wolfrace como (most importantly 5 split spoke 4 stud type) with 195/65 tyres. The odd thing is i cant find ANYWHERE online that sells this specific alloy wheel as you only appear to be able to get either the 5 split spoke 5 nut/lug type wolfrace or the 4 split spoke 4 nut/lug type wolfrace but not 5 split spoke 4 lug/nut type. Its driving me a little potty!
If anyone can help with the specs i would appreciate it as i can then look at other allowys meeting the spec.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you are buying aftermarket as a full size spare, What counts is having a wheel that fits! Ignore the specs you have! If you input YOUR vehicle type and/or regspecify 4 or 5 wheel nuts/bolts you WILL find the equivalent. IF IN DOUBT CALL THEM for heavens sake. Also GO TO YOUR DEALER! They are not all monsters and will want to help you. TRY asking your dealer, then an accessory supplier. A bit of time spent looking at your requirements objectively will sort it out. IF not ask barry at cresser chevrolet and please order from him and he will help you> as per my previous post i got a 17" wheel alloy and tyre for about £150 for the epica.
But If you want exactly the same wheel talk to your parts dept, If I were in a position to help you i would, but go and say you are a forum member, and some dealers give a discount, will yours, if not join the vauxhall tradeclub>happy motoring!
Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
82 Posts
If I decide to buy another Cruze I shall keep my present full size spare supplied with the car(although tyre is not same size) and give back the Gunge supplied with the new car This gunge rubbish should be made illegal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like a good find puggy. I ended up buying a different alloy but same size, then i took it to keikfit to get a tyre fitted and now it lives in the boot. Next thing im looking for is a decent roof box.....Edited by: 100mpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts