Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Spark 60 reg 1.2 LT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Had a Spark 60 plate in for MOT and the put rear brake pipes corroded and moist on as an advisory. They quoted me £10 for each pipe and £200 labour. I am confident enough to replace and bleed the brakes myself but need to know what the part number and where best to get the brake pipes from, they said it was the metal ones but refused to give me any part numbers.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Thanks in Advance.

ED

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ed,
welcome, please fill in your footer (signature), so that us, and future users can see exactly which car we are dealing with, like mine:
Click your Avatar
Click account setting
On the left, click "signature"
Enter details in the box that appears
Click save.
All Done

£10 is fair enough for the supply of the pipes, £200 is a bit ambitious especially if you are confident to bleed them yourself and have a reasonable set of tools. The best way is not to buy the pipes, but to buy a roll of copper pipe, some end fittings, and a pipe flaring tool. I've had mine for 30 years and it has paid for itself many times over.
Post again if you feel up to doing it yourself, I can talk you through it, I recently did a rear on my Aveo. Not difficult at all.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I will get underneath and have a look. If it is the pipes I think then I think what you have suggested should be quite manageable. I have replaced all the brakes on my own car and upgraded them. But the pipes and hoses were admittedly off the shelf. But I am sure I can achieve what you have advised.

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ed, It will most likely use 10mm fittings and need 3/16" tube, flaring tools are about £8 on eBay, they are basically copies of my genuine SP one and work the same. Soft copper pipe is around £8 for a 25' (7m) roll. You need to find out if it needs male or female fittings, and make sure you get a min pipe cutter too, no hacksaws to be used!

Also register at Zimpel & Franke (German site, English available),

and do a VIN lookup of the online parts catalogue, worth it just for the exploded parts views. Choose the look at pictures option-far easier.

Keep us posted.
Well done on the signature, it seems to baffle some people who come on here.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations, I think that has been one of the most informative replies I have ever had on a forum. The VIN lookup is a great shout. I will be looking at the pipes at some point so I know what I need, then order up. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts