Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it's of any interest I took my Captiva in for the above recall today. I only had to have a nut replaced and the cable was fine apparently. The job only took 20min from start to finish.

Captiva ltz
2013 on a 62 plate auto 4wd.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Mat5150 said:
If it's of any interest I took my Captiva in for the above recall today. I only had to have a nut replaced and the cable was fine apparently. The job only took 20min from start to finish.

Captiva ltz
2013 on a 62 plate auto 4wd.
You've been robbed lad. Just had my 20k service in Edinburgh, which included the cable replacement and fittings amongst other recalls and upgrades.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Incorrect Scouse-Mafia. The cable only has to be changed if the insulation has not been correctly heat shrunk,however mine has been done correctly at the manufacturing stage,tho a majority haven't.the nut is also part of the recall that has to be replaced due to them being the wrong heat grade,as was done to mine.not all Captivas and Antaras have to have the cable changed....Antara has the same recall.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Mat5150 said:
Incorrect Scouse-Mafia. The cable only has to be changed if the insulation has not been correctly heat shrunk,however mine has been done correctly at the manufacturing stage,tho a majority haven't.the nut is also part of the recall that has to be replaced due to them being the wrong heat grade,as was done to mine.not all Captivas and Antaras have to have the cable changed....Antara has the same recall.
Obviously you were the lucky one who it alright in the first place in the factory. Mine is the latter and all was replaced, even though was in good condition according to the mechanic. Prudence I suspect, better to have done than wait till it fails.

Reactions: Nanone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chevrolet change the design of main positive battery cables, but they only sell positive and negative together. I only found information from russian forum with an official GM Korea Service Order. In Europe I didn't find nothing. I printed the russian service order and I went to the local dealer to order the cable. They didn't know the problem and didn't have information about. They try to sell one more cable, but after it arrived we checked we didn't need the extra cable. The price here in portugal is ridiculous, about 285 pounds. If you sum to that a new starter, labour and some other things, you spend a lot in one time...

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Merlim, There was/is an official recall for certain Vin numbers. You can check yours by registering onwww.mychevrolet.eu

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys . Just been reading through this post as my wife's car has been into garage twice in a fortnight with starter motor problems. Its the same as others have experienced car wont turn over and appears to just click and battery is in good health . Having checked with , mychevrolet.eu , it tells me the car doesn't have any recall issues on it. Garage have had it now for 4 days and are stumped as to what it is. Does anyone have any ideas for a solution or should we ask garage if they have checked cables?Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
I would suggest that they check the cables. There may be problems with vehicles other than those listed on the recall sheets known about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks Aussie Ed. update on problem - Wife phoned garage about starter motor wiring and was told they would check it out they phoned back to say that the new 2 week old starter motor was brunt out along with wiring and car is being transfered from Parks Motor Group garage to Arnold Clark Chevrolet as Parks motor group now admit they don't have the knowledge to work on the car. Starter motor wiring was done under recall in 2015(according to them) and if this turns out to be the problem then we may get stuck with the bill as they say warranty company wont pay it. So will have to wait and see the outcome.

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated. Very often posts go 'dead' and we never hear the outcome or solution which would help other members.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi all. more updates from our ongoing saga. Garage called today to say that the wiring from battery to starter and alternator is what has caused the problem with burning starter out. Warranty company wont pay and chevrolet have said its not their problem either and are wanting to charge £891 to fit new cables and then charge warranty company for another new starter motor. How can it possibly cost that much for 1 Cable harness?
Edited by: bikerbob1563

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
bikerbob1563 said:
hi all. more updates from our ongoing saga. Garage called today to say that the wiring from battery to starter and alternator is what has caused the problem with burning starter out. Warranty company wont pay and chevrolet have said its not there [their] (there is a place) problem either and are wanting to charge £891 to fit new cables and then charge warranty company for another new starter motor. How can it possibly cost that much for 1 Cable harness?

Unless I'm interpreting this incorrectly, you had the cable / starter motor originally replaced under warranty - this in turn failed (due to ?? what incorrect cable or what?). You would surely expect the work carried out by 'professionals' should meet required standards. To fail again would imply something wrong with the products used and or the mechanic. Even though you have extended warranty they are refusing to meet current replacement.
Request a full written explanation from the warranty company for their reason(s). Obtain from the dealer a full written report as to reason for failure. You need to gather together all details and then consult the CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) for advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry no both were not changed . we have only had the car 10 month and 3 weeks ago only starter motor was replaced then failed 2 weeks later. On checking with garage and asking them to check cables they said they were done in 2015 under recall. Yes I agree with you if the replacement parts were changed then any issues with failure should be covered by chevrolet as there is obviously still issues with wiring. will have to wait and see the what the garage can do for us as we have told them it is outrageous the price of some wiring so they are putting it to there investigation team who will contact chevrolet head office to see if there is a compromise they can come to. I will certainly take your advice and get everything in writing and see where we go from there.
another annoyance is car in garage and we have snow forecast and I wont get out to play.

Edited by: bikerbob1563

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Guys, i am currently in a dispute with Chevrolet UK. July 2017 my started burnt out, had it replaced and 4 months later, burnt out again. So i investigated this issue and found this thread. I queried this recall with Chevrolet uk and was told that the nut and cable had been changed BUT the garage had only changed the nut. And that's where the problems begin.

I've been contacting Chevrolet but i'm not getting anything satisfactory out of them, in fact I think they're wishing I leave them alone, BUT I WONT. One of the problems I got is I cannot find official documentation on this starter cable issue, only what I've read on here and although I know its the problem, I need something official to fight my cause.

Chevrolet will not answer any of my questions. They will not tell me anything apart from my car was recalled due to the positioning of the cable lug on the starter. WRONG. That is a totally different recall.

They wont even tell me why they were changing the cables and the nut even though i have been told by a Chevrolet dealer that "YES there were problems and we were changing them".

Has anyone got any official documentation on this problem that they could post here for me. I've looked on the DVSA site and there's nothing there but apparently it was a service update.

Can someone help me please

Cheers Paul

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Paul, I'll have a look through my records for a possible recall document number. I have a feeling that member S-M mafia originally highlighted this info.

In respect of your vehicle details here's a tip. Put your model/year/variant etc in your 'footer' (signature box on data set up) and the info will automatically appear under your posts to help readers identify.

Edit: found previous data (search tab is a useful tool)
Recall was ref :
Battery /StarterMotorCableinternal Chevrolet recall code is : OSB14-08-029B

Addition to edit(2). This link might be useful too although it doesnt specifically mention the recall number above.
https://gm.oemdtc.com/4280/starter-motor-b-cable-attachment-2011-2013-chevrolet-captiva

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you Aussie Ed.

I am also in a discussion with the service manager at Lookers Liverpool who carried out the recall work.

I am hoping that they can answer the questions that Chevrolet UK won't answer. I've just emailed him the recall code although I have asked Chevrolet to give me details of

Cooling Fan Module internal Chevrolet recall code is : OSB13-08-050

Battery / Starter Motor Cable internal Chevrolet recall code is : OSB14-08-029e

which I found on an earlier post and I got no answer. All I've been told is "here at Chevrolet Customer Care we are not technically trained". WELL PUT ME THROUGH TO SOMEONE WHO IS.

It is extremely frustrating. I'll hopefully get a reply tomorrow

Thanks again and I will update when I have a reply

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Customer Service with no one technically competent !!There is/was a chap called Charlie who was 'the boffin'. I dont know if he lost his job with the Chevrolet pullout of UK.
The fact remains that with the GM Vauxhall Antara being the same mechanically (different body shape) there must still be technically knowledgeable people still there.

Edited by: Aussie Ed

1 - 20 of 73 Posts