Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, purchased a 2011 chevvy Captiva 2.2 diesel automatic. No major concerns until 3 weeks ago, pulled over at shop and when I came out, went to start car and there was not even a note from the engine, it's was not ticking over at all. Seen similar posts around this being a starter motor however needed to check something - I got my car to a garage who had stated the starter motor had come away from the solenoid (however it's spelt) but claimed also multiple fuse boxes had gone but couldn't determine which ones and that the ignition barrel may need replacing. Tried to quote me £2000 and this could possibly rise depending what further issues were found. Claimed he had to remove the differential to get to the starter motor. Sounded suspicious, as all lights/radio/sat nav etc comes on and told me plainly it's a pig of a job and didn't want to entertain it. Could it just be the starter motor? Any ideas/similar encounters?

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Is this the same garage that sold you the vehicle?
Strange descriptions. I fail to see how the vehicle has even been operating with 'parts missing' .
I smell more fish here than at a fishmongers!

I did provide you with a link two months ago on how to use the Forum and complete your Sign Up (location) and vehicle info into the designated sections.
You've overlooked completing these so I've attached the link again for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I've update my location I'm from England. To clarify, the multiple fuse boxes have 'gone' is actually reference to it being broken/blown. This car was not from this garage in question, but agree it sounds fishy as I stated he really didn't seem to want to entertain the job. I've got the car back outside my house, wanting a second look at it and opinion but wondered if anyone may know from what's being described i.e is it actually just the starter motor (battery was tested, seemed low but recovery could not start with jump leads and suggested it was probably the starter motor)

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
There was an official Chevrolet recall - not actually on the starter motor - but on the cable loom to/from the battery. I think the earth was of particular concern.
Do you have any records with your purchase that verifies this recall was undertaken (or indeed any of the other recalls applicable to the Captiva).
Depending upon who the second opinion garage is they may or may not know what they are looking at. Because Chevrolet parts are so so difficult to get many mechanics simply dont want the hassle
Your best 'honest opinion' might be from a supportive Vauxhall dealer (not all of them are unfortunately). The Captiva is mechanically a twin of the Vauxhall Antara so they (Vauxhall) are the most likely source of technical knowledge.

I see you have completed your World location but not the vehicle data section. This is very important because accurate replies to any of your posts will be dependant upon the FULL vehicle data specification. Data placed into your Signature footer is automatically shown under every post you make. See mine as an example below this post.
Vehicle information within the body of a discussion does not get carried over and many readers will not waste time looking back to establish which vehicle is under discussion, whereas under your posts it is simply just a quick glance for any forum reader.
You appear to have difficulty in understanding the Guidelines which I've provided twice now. Read the section under the heading 'Vehicle Model' as to how to add this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i also had issues with mine a few years ago and went through 3 starter motors in 6 months, turns out there was a short on my wiring loom, £800 later for a new loom and not had a issue since

1 - 5 of 5 Posts