Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I'm having trouble with my Orlando 2.0 automatic diesel. Sometimes I have trouble starting it and other times no problem. I have had the battery checked and alternator which are fine. New starter motor fitted, it's been in 3 garages who cannot find a problem, anyone with any ideas I'd be really grateful Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
hi all, I'm having trouble with my Orlando 2.0 automatic diesel. Sometimes I have trouble starting it and other times no problem. I have had the battery checked and alternator which are fine. New starter motor fitted, it's been in 3 garages who cannot find a problem, anyone with any ideas I'd be really grateful Thanks

Hi Andrea, You've got the correct Forum now but I would urge you to complete your Sign-Up giving your World location (this is a World Wide forum with sometimes different 'builds') and additionally a lot more detail on your Vehicle such as year (often crucial), mileage, how long you have owned the vehicle, service history etc. This is like the doctor who needs to know how old etc his patient is and background history. You'll find guidance link on completing these in my previous email.

Firstly, having been to three garages I have to ask were any of them GM Chevrolet Service Agents - you didnt say! Did any of them obtain or provide you with any Diagnostic Trouble Codes? If so what are they?
I will have to accept for now that the battery & alternator are okay but it wouldnt be the first time it comes back to one of these later such as a battery with a failing cell !

That said other thoughts are
(i) is the key fob working correctly with new battery in it. A reliable signal from key is vital for the engine to receive the necessary signal so as to commence start up recognition sequence.
(ii) Have any of these garages checked for corroded earth connection to chassis? This is where knowing the year of the vehicle helps (you havent told us) because if you have an older model earth to chassis corrosion is more common than realised.
(iii) Did your garages check all fuses / relays. Sometimes these can form some contact film corrosion which needs cleaning. Sometimes just removing and reinserting will scrape clean a contact face.
(iv) Does shifting the automatic stick re-awaken the start up. There may be a contact problem with the stick position being incorrectly recognised thus not permitting the start up crank.

There are no end of maybes. I would suggest you take the vehicle to your designated GM Chevrolet Service Agent.
I would advise you where that is but I'm sorry to make the point again that not having completed your details I havent a clue where you are!

Other members may have other suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Further thoughts. When you say "I have trouble starting it" are you actually meaning there is no cranking taking place at all?
I've rather assumed this by your mention of battery and starter references.

However you might actually mean that it is cranking over but simply will not start even though it is cranking.
If it is the latter then there could be a completely different set of answers.

Please clarify.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Andrea,

Did you resolve the problem if so what was the cause / solution.
The success of Forums like this one depends upon members providing the solution not just asking questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a female just joining no wonder Andrea didn’t respond to you...please be kinder to us women we come to learn at a slower pace to men...Thank you

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Hello Dawn,

You are making it sound as if the response to Andrea was because she was a 'female'.
I can assure you this was not the case and indeed if you read the very detailed response which was provided to Andrea you will see several 'possibilities' were suggested based upon the very scant information provided.

Andrea provided just three & half lines of 'information' for Forum Members to remotely offer a solution which three garages eyes, ears and hands on couldnt do.
This is not a Female 'thing' , we get men as well (often) who dont tell us even the basic information on the year, variant etc of vehicle under discussion. Forum Members will do their very best to help but please remember we are not mind readers.

So to help you 'Learn at your own pace' I have attached a link for you to assist in your understanding of the Forum. So firstly completing your location helps (this is a worldwide forum), and placing your vehicle details in the Signature / Footer assists every forum reader know which vehicle you own.

Have a read through the following and it will assist you on using the forum correctly.

Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts