Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Victor , My first car was also a Ford Popular 103E Regn SKR 68 in beige colour. (Photos long since misplaced).
I also had an Austin Ruby under restoration at the time..

As you've provided the 'then' picture, I'll provide the 'now'.!

Attachments

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm not quite as old as the other posters, but here are my "first cars"

1982 Austin Metro City, purchased new by my father in 1982, sold to me in 1985, pictured here in 1988 along with my first company "car"

First car I built from scratch, pictured here on out-shopping day in early 1997, before the suspension was levelled and trim completion.

The later pictures were taken this morning in my storage garage. Both are run and drive but the metro has brake master cylinder problems from long storage, so is unlikely to be back on the road until I get a replacement, pretty much unobtainable in that type now. The Midas needs cosmetic work.
Progress was good on both of them and they were in and out under their own power most days until last year, when an infectious disease caused a bit of a slowdown.

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

·
Registered
820 Posts
re your Metro having a master cylinder problem, we used to run up against British Leyland stuff fitting different braking systems, sometimes Girling and sometimes Lockheed. I think from memory they were supposed to be Girling but they had wildcat strikes so they had to dual source for a while. Absolute nightmare, the only way you could be sure was to go to the parts counter with the actual bits off the car.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not quite as old as the other posters, but here are my "first cars"

1982 Austin Metro City, purchased new by my father in 1982, sold to me in 1985, pictured here in 1988 along with my first company "car"

First car I built from scratch, pictured here on out-shopping day in early 1997, before the suspension was levelled and trim completion.

The later pictures were taken this morning in my storage garage. Both are run and drive but the metro has brake master cylinder problems from long storage, so is unlikely to be back on the road until I get a replacement, pretty much unobtainable in that type now. The Midas needs cosmetic work.
Progress was good on both of them and they were in and out under their own power most days until last year, when an infectious disease caused a bit of a slowdown.

View attachment 1905 View attachment 1906 View attachment 1907 View attachment 1908
I might have been able to help with wheel cylinders, unfortunately not master cylinders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first car was a Triumph 2000 Mk 2. I bought it about fifteen years ago. She didn't look to pretty because some of the paint was faded, and a front end ding had been repaired by the previous owner, but she didn't half go!(y)

TD:cool:

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first car was a Triumph 2000 Mk 2. I bought it about fifteen years ago. She didn't look to pretty because some of the paint was faded, and a front end ding had been repaired by the previous owner, but she didn't half go!(y)

TD:cool:
It's not always about the looks ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts