Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
First time poster so take it easy.

Looking at a 09 Aveo 1.2L and I have a few questions on it. A lot of car for the money.

1. The car is immaculate with 40K on it. My concern is that is last service was April 11 at 25K. Is this something that I should worry about?
2. How good are these cars? Will be used mainly on motorway runs between SWMBO and her mothers about 60 miles return.
3. Is the car chain and belt driven?
4. Are they reliable cars as I have never bought a Chevrolet before
5. Is there anything I should watch out for.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Registered
446 Posts
Brian,Service should be a concern. These Aveo's need a gearbox oil change at 10k, and then every 20k. If serviced at 25k and 40k then clearly someone has not been paying attention and things may not have been done. I would be very careful if a proper dealer service record is not available, as there are more items to be done than on most "modern" cars.

Mine is used on daily commutes of between 30 and 180 miles. At it's best at 60-70 rather than round town. Comfortable and pleasant. 45-55 mpg unless you are in a rush

Chain cams

Zero faults in the 20k I've done. Not counting a wiper blade and headlamp bulb!

Watch out for ex-hire cars with non Chevy history. But if the price is right, get it serviced properly ASAP.

No regrets buying mine, came from something much "better" but love it to bits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Metro. I have decided not to bother only 2 dealer stamps in the book (last being April 11 at 25K ) with no other paperwork. Not worth the risk plenty more cars to look at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
considering buying the car, donot forget the GPS with it!

http://www.deepsen.com/chevrolet-aveo-auto-dvd-player-gps-navigation

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys!

Newbie here
- I am conscious of re-posting when there is already a thread with a related question on.

Thanks for the info on the Chain driven - that makes it all the more desirable for me I did find this on Wikipedia: "1.2L (1206cc)S-TEC IIengine was updated with features such as dual overhead camshaft (DOHC) and timing chain (older version has timing belt) system."

So, On the newbie buying advice:

The gearbox oil - is the 10k change a 'user' recommendation or a manufacturer? - any particular reason? - Ie poor quality from manufacturer? common fault? weak gearboxes?

How many miles (ball park figure) can be expected of the chain driven '1.2 S-TEC II' engine?

What is the servicing schedule like - when does the chain need changing?
- I assume the recommended is having the chain 'inspected' at a quoted number of miles.
- I also assume the chain should outlive/should not need changing for the life of the car?

Thanks for any help, very muchappreciated!
Scott

·
Registered
446 Posts
Gearbox Oil- Manufacturer requirement. Mine went quieter after the change.Chains 10 years or 150k miles
How long will the engine last? who knows, look after it and it could be a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts