Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
How do I tell between 2wd and 4wd captivas? Would a 2007 2.0 5 seater "LT VCDI" be a 2wd or a 4wd and how do I tell by looking at the vehicle (or the paperwork)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Anything that has 5 seats is 2wd, all 7 seaters have 4wd.
Unless it's an import, in which case the games a bogey...

Iain

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Iain,

Thanks for your reply, which is a little concerning! I have been sold a 5 seat 2007 Captiva by an authorised Chevrolet dealership who told me beforeI bought it that it was a four wheel drive. So, are you 101% sure that all 5 seaters are not four wheel drive. Was four wheel drive an option on 5 seaters? Chrevrolet confirmed it was not an import. My hubby has looked underneath the vehicle and says there is a propshaft. Any ideas?!

·
Registered
116 Posts
As Iain said, when introduced the captiva came as an LS (petrol 2wd 5 seats) an lt (diesel 4wd 7 seats) and an ltx (diesel 4wd 7seats bells and whistles). Assuming yours is diesel maybe someone has just had the rear seats removed and fitted the storage boxes?? (Ok read it again, you said it was the diesel..)Edited by: daveG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply, I am so confused! I have never had a car where the model history is so ambiguous. It is definately a diesel and it definately has 5 seats!

I don't have the v5 as it is currently with the DVLA for a cherished transfer. On my 'vehicle order form' from the delaership it states "captiva 5dr estate 5st 2.0 Vcdi LT. Are you saying that the'LT' only comes in 7 seats? I can see no evidence of removal of rear seats and would that not be unlikely?

I have emailed chevrolet to see if they can provide a definitive answer...but any other ideas appreciated!

·
Registered
652 Posts
The LT was available in 5 or 7 seat options...

The LS however, was only in 5 seat and was 2WD (Front Wheel).

The LTX was top of the range until replaced by the LTZ. Bothe LTX and LTZ should be 4WD (Front Wheel Drive with rear wheels automatically cutting in when front wheels slip).
Thats my pennies worth

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dave, that brings us a little closer. Can anyone else confirm if all diesel captivashave 4wd?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, thanks for this... so can I have a 5 seat, diesel with4wd? (the facts bing it is definately 5 seats and diesel, the question being does it have 4wd?! Or have I been sold a 2wd instead of a 4wd?!)

Paperwork states it is an LT.

Still waiting on chevrolet to get back to me...

·
Registered
652 Posts
As already mentioned, if it has a propshaft then it is a 4WD.

As the 4WD mechanism is an automatic one, ie. you cant shift it to 4WD manually it is not easy to tell.

Another way is to check the dashboard lights when you start up, but you have to be quick...

On your dashboard you will see a "warning light" which illuminates and goes off when you start the ignition.

It looks something like (excuse my rubbish graphics)

/----/

!

!

!----!

If this flashes during driving (where 4WD is needed) it is normal (apparantly). If it comes on and stays on, you have a problem with the automatic 4WD system and need to get it checked.

If when you start you car, this light comes on and goes off you HAVE 4WD. If it doesnt come on, you dont....

All in the handbook

Also, it is not a stupid question, it has been asked before (http://www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk/forum/2x4-or-4x4-how-do-you-know_topic94.html)and been wondered by many of us. But come the winter and the snow, you will know.... just put your foot down, spin the front wheels in the snow and watch (and be ready for) the back ones to kick in... great fun, just make sure you are ready for it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, that is great. Not that I don't trust my hubby and his'propshaft' check...but I wanted another way of confirming!

I have just put the key in the ignition and I have that warning light on the small panel above the fuel gauge. It comes on orange with all the others and then goes off. I feel so much better now, I wasn't looking forward to having 'that' conversation with the dealership! So, to all non believers (of which there have been a few since I have had the car!) 5 seat, non import, 4wd Captivas do exist!

I'm looking forward to the snow now! Thank you everyone for your help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do!

I have to say although I have only had the car a few weeks I do love it! I did have a saab 93 cabrio so ittook some adjusting to,but with a baby on the waythe Captivawas a stylish, good value car with plenty of space and 4wd for the Yorkshire hills when it is snowing. Fingers crossed for many years of happy Captiva-ing.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but there is/was a 2wd diesel LT with 5 seats. All 4wd have 7 seats, so yours is a 2wd (FWD) diesel.
Simples!

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Iain,

Actually I have now had written confirmation from Chevrolet Head Office that my captiva does definately have AWD (Ie 4WD as I call it). From the chassis number they have confirmed that it is a 2007 5 seat diesel LT AWD. This is backed up by the presence of propshaft and also the applicable light on the dash. They have also confirmed again that it is not an import and is a UK vehicle.

I am presuming then that my car is quite unusual?!

·
Registered
997 Posts
My guess would be that it is not a UK spec car- possibly Republic of Ireland- Motorpoint imported a whole load of them a couple of years ago- I was offered what was basically an LS spec 7 seat AWD, but couldn't understand the spec so declined. I suspect that this might be another Irish anomaly, either that or a launch special. Since it's an early car, it might even be a discontinued spec. In the brochure for my 2008 LTX, it only lists the following models;
2wd petrol LS 5 seat
2wd diesel LS 5 seat
2wd diesel LT 5 seat
4wd diesel LT 7 seat
4wd diesel LTX 7 seat

Iain

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe it is a launch special then or just a discontinued spec that was available in 2007. It is definately a UK car supplied by a chevrolet dealership in Leeds new to the 1st owner. Chevrolet havealso confirmedit is a UK car. I am just pleased it is an AWD after all and a UK car, I'll probably never get to know how it came to be such an unusual spec!

·
Registered
997 Posts
My advice is to keep the confirmation, just in case, and to enjoy the car!
Happy motoring

Iain

1 - 20 of 24 Posts