Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has any one got instructions or a manual for how to change cambelt on a 2.0D 4wd 2011 captiva please I'm going to change the water pump as well while I'm at it .it's just clocked 100k

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Warrior, It probably would have been practical to have combined/added your post to the existing cam belt Topic which makes it easier for the 'Search' tab to find later.

A Series 1 with 100,000 miles it is very prudent to get this done asap.

This is not a simple procedure. It requires considerable access to the engine and removal from engine mounts. It requires detailed mechanical knowledge and correct tools.

I am mechanically competent but is not something I would attempt.

This data has been accessed and translated from the following web link.
http://tis-chevrolet.com/static-tree.php

Every one please excuse this part post. The data pages are having trouble being attached.
I'll try again tomorrow.

<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102;">Edit: Now see next post entry below.
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102;">

<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102;">

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">The timing belt system[/B]
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Necessary equipment[/B]
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">DW 110-060 jig engine
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">EN-48245 controller timing belt - Camshaft Holder
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">EN-48246 controller timing belt - Crankshaft Holder

<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><a name="c1b0rp9" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb169, 3, 41; : inherit;"></a><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">removal procedure[/B]
  1. <li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Disconnect the negative battery cable.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the decorative cover.See."Decorative Cover"in this section.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the hoses and charge air ducting systems.See."Air injection system"in this section.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the accessory belt.See."Accessory Belt and Tensioner"in this section.<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><i style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Attention!Raise the engine far enough to take the weight off the engine mount assembly, or damage may occur suspension and lifting equipment failure.[/i][/B]
    <li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Support the engine assembly using the fixture DW110-060 Engine.<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the engine mount damping block.See."Engine Mount Assembly (right side)"in this section.<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the top cover of the timing belt.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the tensioner pulley accessory drive belt.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the tensioner.See."Accessory Belt and Tensioner"in this section.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the crankshaft pulley.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the bottom cover of the timing belt.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the engine mount bracket.<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the timing belt tensioner.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the timing belt.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the camshaft sprocket.
<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">
<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><a name="c1b0tba" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb169, 3, 41; : inherit;"></a><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tension adjustment of the timing belt[/B]
  1. <li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the vacuum pump.See.<i style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Section 1F1, Engine Controls - 2.0 Diesel.[/i]<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">By rotating the camshaft to align with the opening at the top.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Rotate the crankshaft, align with the mark on the crankshaft sprocket.<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the bolt-plug (a) holes for the crankshaft holder.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Insert the crankshaft holder EN-48246 into the hole (b) under the crankshaft holder.<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Note: Slowly rotate the crankshaft sprocket, simultaneously insert the crankshaft holder.[/B]
    <li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Set camshaft holder EN-48245 from the back side (c) of a camshaft.<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Align the mark on the sprocket and the label on the back cover of the timing belt.<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install the camshaft sprocket and tighten the bolt by hand.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install the timing belt.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install tensioner timing belt by tightening bolt manually.<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Turn the Allen key projection (a) anti-clockwise to pull a belt.Turn to the point of alignment with the notch (b).<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">After combining with knurled screw wrap the timing belt tensioner.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install the camshaft sprocket bolt.<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten[/B]
    <div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"></dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten the bolt tensioner timing belt to 25 N ""¢ m (18.4 lb-in).</dd><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 133 N ""¢ m (98.1 lb-in).</dd><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Remove the camshaft holder EN-48245 and the crankshaft holder EN-48246.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Rotate the crankshaft in a clockwise direction more 2 cycles and check the mark on the crankshaft sprocket.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">After aligning the timing drive belt wrapped bolt plug holes for the crankshaft holder.<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten[/B]
    <div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten the bolt plug holes for the crankshaft holder to 30 N ""¢ m (22.1 lb-ft).

<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Note: If there is no overlapping with the cylinder TDC point number 1, repeat the above procedure for the number 4 ~ number 10 until the alignment.[/B]
    <div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><i style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Attention!Since the installation of special maintenance tools aimed at alignment with the cylinder TDC point number 1, then if there is no precise alignment, it will affect the engine performance and emissions.[/i][/B]
<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><hr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">
<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><a name="c1b0ip10" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb169, 3, 41; : inherit;"></a><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">installation procedure[/B]
  1. <li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install the engine mount bracket.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install the lower timing belt cover.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install the crankshaft pulley.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install the tensioner pulley accessory drive belt.<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Install the top cover of the timing belt.<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten[/B]
    <div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"></dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten the engine mount bracket bolts to 45 N ""¢ m (33.1 lb-ft).</dd><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten the bolts of the bottom cover the timing belt to 11 N ""¢ m (97.4 lb-in).</dd><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten the bolts of the crankshaft pulley to 34 N ""¢ m (25.1 lb-ft).</dd><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten the bolt of the tension belt clip accessory drive up to 52 N ""¢ m (38.4 lb-ft).</dd><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Tighten the bolts of the top cover of the timing belt to 11 N ""¢ m (97.4 lb-in).</dd>
<br style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Excellent post Ed. Thanks you for your time doing this. Why a cambelt change has been left so late is beggers belief, must be delayed due to cost. On this engine its not a cheap job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gents thanks that's exactly what I required.I have an engine hoist which is ideal for the job. It has similarities to the scoda octavia which requires engine mounts to be removed and the engine jacking up to gain access and all the air con pipe work removing and a lot of plumbing needed before you can even get at it .Also as a general comment cambelt failure has a lot to do with how a vehicle is driven rapid deceleration is as much a culpit as fast acceleration as particularly with a diesel engine that has high compression stronger valve springs etc than a petrol engine it can put immense load on the belt on both the takeup and drive points .My last vehicle covered 274000 miles with very little problems I did change the cambelt and water pump at 110000 but on inspection it had very little wrong with it.I will let you know how I get on .Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Warrior, It sounds as if you are suitably technical from your reply.If you need to refer to further sub data you'll have to go to the web link I gave and trawl your way through the massive number of link options using Google translator.
Good luck.
Ed

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Scouse-Mafia said:
Excellent post Ed. Thanks you for your time doing this.

Thanks S-M. It took me nearly two hours to track down the correct section (noting that the link is all in Russian and I needed to use Google translator repeatedly to locate to correct sub section). Then it wouldnt attach last night. Managed it this morning.

I should stress that this data was with reference to the 2.0 litre engine. It may not apply to the 2.2 litre Series 2.

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Aussie Ed said:
Scouse-Mafia said:
Excellent post Ed. Thanks you for your time doing this.

Thanks S-M. It took me nearly two hours to track down the correct section (noting that the link is all in Russian and I needed to use Google translator repeatedly to locate to correct sub section). Then it wouldnt attach last night. Managed it this morning.

I should stress that this data was with reference to the 2.0 litre engine. It may not apply to the 2.2 litre Series 2.
Ed, My manual is 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first for the timing chain replacement, if I recall correctly with the 2.2 Engine.

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Scouse-Mafia said:
Ed, My manual is 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first for the timing chain replacement, if I recall correctly with the 2.2 Engine.

Jonathan, my Series 2 (mk1) (2012 / 61plate) says 160,000miles / ten years.
Maybe your later variant has been trimmed back by half !!??
Maybe that is telling us something we shouldnt ignore

·
Registered
21 Posts
A really informative post Ed, No wonder Bristol Street Motors didn't want the job, Still looking for somewhere to get mine done, mmmmm perhaps £475 isn't so bad after all

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Centerpin, There was another section on the web link that stated the hours/minutes set aside for each function (by a fully knowledgeable Chevrolet technician). Just on hours cost alone before you add in the parts it took care of most of what you were quoted !!
Not to replace the timing belt in a timely manner is about £8,000+ for new engine if the belt breaks and throws the pistons through the block! I guess that puts it in perspective.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh I've been there in my Cortina years, a lot more expensive nowdays though Ed, Did a Santa Fe last year but my healths taken a nose dive so it's pay time

Edited by: Centerpin

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
David, I'm sorry to hear your health has given you a bit of a hit. Get the belt done and look forward to Spring and some enjoyable days out in your Captiva to lift your spirits.Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts