Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks new on here wife bought a 2009 ltx brand new fron showroom it was pre registered from march she got it in aug there now tryin to say its out of warrenty sales man never said 6 months warrenty had lapsed or she would never have got it an jus got a new one total joke there s only 39k on the clock an its already had a fuel pump replaced think this will be the first an last chevy very dissapointed
<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Sounds like need a concerted 'push' on the Chevy agent you purchased from and/or take issue up with Chevrolet HQ. Surely if it was sold as a 'new' vehicle full warranty applies irrespective of being pre-registered. Make sure it was not a pre-used demonstrator that you bought. Get all your facts/details togetherand be prepared to do battle. On limited info provided sounds like a bit of sharp practice by dealer.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
Nope, I shouldn't think so, the 3 years starts from the date of first registration. If it was a Renault or similar, you might be in luck, but I've never heard anything other than bad stories about Chev Uk and their discretion on warranties. Doesn't sound like sharp practice at all, pre reg is pre reg. I've owned a number of pre reg cars in my time and understood that this was the trade off for the lower pricing.

That said, it's a total bugger!

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Hi Bigiain, Thanks for your wise input. I will retract my view on dealer/agent
. Maybe this is a warning for all of us for future. I was under impression that 'pre-registered' simply helped with sales quota's. I still think pretty raw deal that the vehicle could have zero/delivery mileage only and yet the buyer looses out on warranty. Davy1100 could have a hard slog ahead.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
652 Posts
You will have a battle against Chevrolet, but if the dealer said it had a full warranty without explainning that 6 months (or whatever it was) had expired, then you have a claim against them. Proving this however, is the challenge.

I'm failing to get anyone, dealer or Chevrolet to accept liability for the tail gate corrosion reapearing within a year.

Impressed with the Captiva, not with after sales customer service.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you not check the registration document as to see when it was first registered. I got mine on 1st March however it was registered in the middle of January. My salesman made me prefectly aware this was why we were getting almost £8000 discount. I have to say that my dealer have told me that the warranty given by Chevrolet expires on the day that the car is 3 years old. Chevrolet do not give leeway unlike most other manufacturers eg Toyota. Goodluck, with your claim, you could try trading standards, if the car has been regularly serviced by a main dealer the belt is not due for achange for some time yet, therefore the belt in your car was substandard and not fit for purpose. My advise would be to contact Citizens Advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
when should the timing belt be changed ? ourswas first registered on27/9/07 and its now done 54,000miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same experience with a pre-reg car: it had 12 miles on the clock, if I recall, but I lost 6 months warranty. Does seem like a sharp practice though: this car had never left the dealer; it had never been sold to a real customer. Most warranties for everything else in the universe start when a consumer buys the item, not when a shop gets it in stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was sold as pre registered but salesman never mentioned 6 months warrenty had gone or we would nt have got it it was brand new with only 3 miles on the clock waitin for them to get back to me as i know a timing belt should not snap at 39k so its a faulty part i ll ltet you know how we get on<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
To answer question on when should timing chain be replaced (posted by Garyndawn), my manual says 160,000 miles (240,000km) or 10 yearsfor the Captiva Series II (2011>). Might be slightly different for Series I (have a look in your manual under vehicle maintenance) but would tend to imply that problem by Davy1100 is seriously premature
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
Series 2 is a different engine entirely. The recommended interval for the belt on the 2.0 VCDi is 100000 or 60 months (mytimingbelt.com). I'm not sure I'd leave it 100000 miles myself, I'll probably change it at the 5 year mark I think, when it'll have about 60-65k on it, just to be sure...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hope you get it sorted, we had the belt go on another of ours cars, just as the warranty finished, and it wa a very expensive job!

Just checked our manual and ours has to be changed at 6years or 90000km (55923Miles).

We are just over 53000, so have booked it in for a visual check and estimate on saturday morning.!

More money!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have read somewhere that the 2.2 motor has chain driven camshafts. Can anyone confirm?

jegrugby

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Hi Jegrugby, I have a 2.2 and under vehicle maintenance themanual page 7-4 item 23 refers to 'Replace timing chain'. (at 160,000 miles!). If it were a belt I guess they would have said 'belt'. From this I would conclude it must be a 'chain'. Hope this helps.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes,definitelychain driven!
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
652 Posts
Iain.... the mk 1, ie mine and yours, is belt driven though ... ?

I'm on 48k miles now, and was going to get the belt changed during its next service.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yep, the 2.0 VCDi has a rubber timing belt. The factory interval is 100K, but I'd never leave it that long. I think between 60 and 70 K is chancing it enough...

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think the timing belt drives the water pump and i have heard with other engines of the water pump seizing and breaking the belt, so you might consider doing the water pump at the same time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts