Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi again,

have a april 2008 1.6 sx hatchback manual the car has only done 16,000 miles and i am confused

as to wether i need to have cam belt changed including all rollers and water pump or can i have
just the belt changed or due to low mileage should i just leave alone.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It isn't the mileage, it is the stop starts that put strain on thr belt teeth.
Your service schedule is replace at 40,000 miles or 4 years. It is your money, but if it was my car i would do it NOW! look up astra 1.4/1.6 engines cam belt failure to see the results. if it goes, it will destroy the engine. make sure it is the kit with the tensioner, and it is recommended to do the water pump as the difference in labour costs is very low. go to online automotive or just ask your local trusted indie. otherwise there is mr clutch and the like, but suggest you do it sooner rather than later.
Happy motoring!
Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mr clutch price is in line with the online price quote but the price difference is the franchise profit. are any of the others indies you can trust? where in the country are you? perhaps one of the other members near you might know a good indie. If you were here in carmarthen I know some one truly excellent, (£35 hour) (no vat)and also in rickmansworth. (rickmansworth service station opposite the underground). If bristol, i can ask a mate there... the cam belt KIT isn't the cheapest for the lacetti and if you throw in the pump and vat that adds up. don't forget £50 of that 300 is vat.
Your car is more than 3 years old so ask your networh q local dealer (vauxhall), a friend of mine got a very pleasant surprise on his old 16v 1.6 astra. even ask your chevrolet dealer, as that wasy and in fact any of them should give you a warranty on thr parts and labour, just get an itemised bill, stating whose parts they used. Let us know!Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi has anyone got a 2009 lacetti 1.8sx sw i have one and after many chats with a vauxhall garage have been told that the engine is a gm vaulhall engine and thus has the same timing belt chevrolet wanted £97plus vatfor the belt alone and vauxhall charged me £43 including vat big difference there has never been a workshop manual produced for this car so does anyone know where i can get the replacement procedure for the belt or what vauxhall vehicles had this engine fitted so i can look it up many thanks Ray

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

New to the forum but wanted to add my perspective as a driver from another country. My 1.4 model is approaching 60,000 kms and the belt is due to be replaced at the same time that the regular service is done, the extra cost involved is nearly double the normal amount. ı had considered getting the belt changed later but some of the comments here have changed my mind. I still think that this is not ahigh mileage for a belt to be changed, the quality of the material suggests that this is done to keep the harrassed motorist out of pocket longer. Still like the car though but will change to an aveo next year, with LPG of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts