Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Tips for buying a 08-10 Aveo?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  cornwall747380 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

Since my driving test is coming up, I have been looking at first cars and the Chevrolet Aveo has caught my eye. Looks wise, I think it looks fantastic and the insurance quotes that I have been given are MUCH lower than any comparable Corsa or Fiesta. The used prices are lower too. (My budget is around 1500 for the car only) Seeing as the 1.4 is only 100 pounds ish more to insure and comes with a lot more options as standard and is more powerful, is this the right engine to go for? And is there anything to look out for when buying one? I have tried to do research on this car myself, but apart from an ancient AutoCar review, there is barely any information about what this car is like to own.

Thank you for any help

#2 ·
Cornwall, Welcome to the Forum.

One of the first things you'll learn on this Forum is that there is a jolly good chance your question has been asked before - and this one is no exception.
The very previous post has asked much the same thing and there was a helpful reply which may influence your choice(ignoring the location the observations apply to UK in general)
Link:- Looking to purchase an Aveo 2013/14 LT model around the...

Other helpful info on how to find your way around the Forum can be read here:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

#3 ·
Cornwall, Welcome to the Forum.

One of the first things you'll learn on this Forum is that there is a jolly good chance your question has been asked before - and this one is no exception.
The very previous post has asked much the same thing and there was a helpful reply which may influence your choice(ignoring the location the observations apply to UK in general)
Link:- Looking to purchase an Aveo 2013/14 LT model around the...

Other helpful info on how to find your way around the Forum can be read here:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum
Thanks for the reply, but I am asking about the previous 08-10 model, which I haven't seen a post for

#4 ·
Okay, just bear in mind that irrespective of year the UK dealer support for Chevrolet (and former Daewoo models) is virtually non existent and availability of parts may be difficult. This may have an influence on your decision.

#5 ·
Firstly, Ed is correct, there is no manufacturer support anymore for these cars, however they do have some good points regardless. The advice I will give is somewhat biased, as I have one, and it is one I've owned since it was a few months old.
Steer clear of the 1.4. It is marginally more powerful, but thirsty and has belt driven cams. The 1.2 is chain driven and effectively maintenance free in this area. For the 1.2, expect 33-44mpg,
Mine has proved to be very reliable. It has had no replacement parts at all apart from standard service parts. General consumables, filters, brake parts, etc, are all easily available and cheap, as are wishbones, bearings, etc. Mine has been home serviced since 20,000 miles and remains in good order, so as an unsophisticated car, most garages will be able to deal with it.
Tyres are likewise cheap. (£40 approx).
The interior is of rather hard "scratchy" plastics that car journalists love to seek out and criticise, but are hard wearing and easily washable, however the trim is well made, easy to remove and refit, and nicely modular if you need to dismantle it, and does not squeak.
Euro NCAP ratings were never good for this car. So don't crash it :eek: .
The radio is OK, but not wonderful, however, it's standard double din so £45 and an adapter gets you an Android head unit with navigation if you so desire, with no clever canbus crap to make the job difficult.
Handling is a bit roly-poly due to being tall and soft sprung but my passengers have never complained.
Luggage space a bit small. Hence my expedition roof cage for forays into Europe 🤯. I also tow a trailer fairly regularly.
Conclusion. Uncomplicated, and no bird puller, but reliable and comfortable. And cheap. But not nasty.

Reactions: Aussie Ed
#7 ·
Firstly, Ed is correct, there is no manufacturer support anymore for these cars, however they do have some good points regardless. The advice I will give is somewhat biased, as I have one, and it is one I've owned since it was a few months old.
Steer clear of the 1.4. It is marginally more powerful, but thirsty and has belt driven cams. The 1.2 is chain driven and effectively maintenance free in this area. For the 1.2, expect 33-44mpg,
Mine has proved to be very reliable. It has had no replacement parts at all apart from standard service parts. General consumables, filters, brake parts, etc, are all easily available and cheap, as are wishbones, bearings, etc. Mine has been home serviced since 20,000 miles and remains in good order, so as an unsophisticated car, most garages will be able to deal with it.
Tyres are likewise cheap. (£40 approx).
The interior is of rather hard "scratchy" plastics that car journalists love to seek out and criticise, but are hard wearing and easily washable, however the trim is well made, easy to remove and refit, and nicely modular if you need to dismantle it, and does not squeak.
Euro NCAP ratings were never good for this car. So don't crash it :eek: .
The radio is OK, but not wonderful, however, it's standard double din so £45 and an adapter gets you an Android head unit with navigation if you so desire, with no clever canbus crap to make the job difficult.
Handling is a bit roly-poly due to being tall and soft sprung but my passengers have never complained.
Luggage space a bit small. Hence my expedition roof cage for forays into Europe 🤯. I also tow a trailer fairly regularly.
Conclusion. Uncomplicated, and no bird puller, but reliable and comfortable. And cheap. But not nasty.
Thanks for the advice and help. Much appreciated!

#6 ·
In addition, my older daughter learned to drive in it and had no problems, the younger one (15) already drives it on private roads, and it hasn't broken yet.
And, in 10 years time it'll be as rare as a 747 or a 380....;)

Reactions: cornwall747380
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.