Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at a Captiva LT, 60'reg, under 3000 miles, 2.0, 5 seat.

Has anyone got one of these & how do you rate it?

Things that worry me are:

Fuel economy. I can live with the figures quoted in the manufacturers book. But are they anything like 'real life'?

Am I correct to think that this model is 2 wheel drive with on-demand all wheel drive?

Depreciation. This Captiva is a really good price vs the original list price. Is it a good deal OR a sign that the Captiva wont hold its value very well?

Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
yep, i got a 2010 LT, Iwould rate it a good 7.5/10, when i had the original 17" wheels on it, it wallowed a bit on the corners, it seems to move along the wall of the tyre, but obviously the bigger you go, the ride quality gets 'firmer', with my wheels fitted id rate it 8.5/10, but its horses for courses, and what you want from the car.

The fuel economy is a difficult one, the captiva LT uses 17" wheels, the rolling circumferance of the wheel does not match the 'true' speed of the vehicle, it reads 74mph on speedo, but is only actually doing 70mph, thus giving you 'more' miles to the gallon under manufactuers figures, i live in hilly wales, and it'll do about 32mpg average on hills and town, on a run upto about 38mpg.

The 5 seat LT is 2 wheel drive only, its the 7 seat thats 4 wheel drive, and the ltz is 4wd.

I had a good deal on mine, and have had it 7 months, my second hand value is about £1500 more than i actually paid for it, it does pay to shop around!!!

My only Gripe with the Captiva is it should of had a 6 speed box, the engine has plenty of torque to cope.

Its only a personal opinion, and will probably not be right for everyone.

Whats your second choice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just purchased one of these and it is very early days I have only done just over 200 miles. I purchased it because the price appealed to me and it looked a practical sized vehicle. It says it is returning 41.3mpg (dont know how accurate the computer is)but i have not thrashed the car as i want to run it in. But i am more than pleased with it at present.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Super thanks for your replies.

I paid a small (refundable) deposit onit today - saleman was keen for this & it takes it off sale, so I could be joining the 'Owner' ranks soon ;)

I'm going back next Saturday with my wife for a longer test drive (1st was very short and on main roads without much to test steering etc), A: to satisfy myself and press all the buttons etc and B, to let my wife drive it (she's a little concerned about the size of the Captiva). This car has rear parking sensors - which should help her.

Its a shame it isnt 2 wheel drive with 4wd on-demand... will this be much of a miss do you think?

Regards MPG, I'll be happy if it returns low 30's around town and high 30's combined. Sounds from you guys that this shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi.
I live in Ireland and I'm thinking of buying this car myself. I've read and heard some good opinions about this car, and I hope it will be suitable for me and my family. So I did a google search and found this review of Chevrolet Captiva, and when you visit it, you can see, that "Ride & Handling" is scored 4/10, and the review says: "Driving
the Captiva feels a lot like driving a SUV from about 5 or 6 years ago.
The ride is good but the steering is slow, over-assisted and larely
numb and it rolls too much, too. It's competent but not confidence
inspiring like, say, a Sante Fe or Mistubishi Outlander."

So how is it with this car?
Is it worth the money?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I hear a lot about this "Ride & Handling" and the so called "roll".

It is an SUV, a 4WD. If you want ride and handling of a sports car then buy a sports car.

I had an S-Type Jag, before one of these. And theu are like chalk and cheese. Yes the Captiva can wallow a little, but then again the Jag went no where in the snow.

It's horses for courses.

I 'm really please with my Captiva. I would question anyone saying they are getting 41mpg, as I cant see that. It is difficult to say how much I average, I just know it is more than the 23 mpg I got from my Jag. I say I get an average of around 33 mpg.

The one thing I would say about 2WD to the 4WD. In the snow the tourgue from the 2WD was mostly fine. I live in the South Wales Valleys, and the 4WD kicking in was uselful on the snowy hills some time. The problem is though the 4WD only cuts in when the front wheel slip. This meant instead of easing back to cut revs and gain traction in the snow, you would have to press a little harder on the pedal to spin the wheels to get the AWD to kick in. But when it did

The one thing though I would recommend is going for the 7 seater. Ok, most of the time I only use the 5 and a good boot. But I have used the 7 seats often, and it does give so much more flexibility. Also they are full size rear seats, not "deck chair" like in the Mitisibushi. Have had 7 adults in the car (big lads from a rugby game). Sitting the the very rear is like being in the back on a mini. You wouldnt necessarily drive for hours there, but it is practical enough to go from A to B.

Ok, it's a Chevy and does not have the quodos of a Land Rover Disco, or Shogun or Volvo C90, etc. But is is a very practical car, very well equipped (Vauxhall Antara is most optional extras), and so far I am very very pleased.

If getting a used, check the recall on sterring has been done (Link on this site to VOSA) and check out for the "rust" on the rear tailgate, which is a known issue and will be fixed by Chevrolet under warranty.

I looked at the Santa Fe, and I think the Captiva is a mark above...

·
Registered
997 Posts
I totally agree with all of Mr Richard's learned words- great car, does what it says on the tin. Economy not as good as the official figures suggest, but mine returns roughly the same as yours and it definately keeps going in bad weather. That and it cost me less than a Focus!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure where you live but over at Corby, Northantsthe vauxhall/chevrolet dealership there have a brand new unregistered diesel lt for same price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
nice deal with evans halshaw, if you checkout the secondhand values, even upto a year old is still worth more than your deal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ring forest gate, i saw one today advertised at 14995 brand new in dark metallic Blue, although on the road with 12 months tax worked out at 15400 ish. This is where i got mine from although they only had one colour Poseidon blue but they look nice, and im pleased with mine...so far

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have spoken to Pentagon - Salesman called Carl. He was v-helpful and worked hard to come up with a deal. In the end, he had to tell me they actually only have the Blue left at the deal price. Carl even checked the Chevrolet UK stock to see if he could find other colours (silver or black), to no avail.

In the meantime, I found the one I've paid a deposit on, and on reflection I think the saving I'm making on a car with 2k miles vs brand new, is a good deal.

I'd recomend Carl @ Pentagon if anyone else is looking for a Captiva LT... and doesnt mind the Blue. Here's his number: 01226323050

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gal10 said:
Been looking at a Captiva LT, 60'reg, under 3000 miles, 2.0, 5 seat.

Has anyone got one of these & how do you rate it?

Things that worry me are:

Fuel economy. I can live with the figures quoted in the manufacturers book. But are they anything like 'real life'?

Am I correct to think that this model is 2 wheel drive with on-demand all wheel drive?

Depreciation. This Captiva is a really good price vs the original list price. Is it a good deal OR a sign that the Captiva wont hold its value very well?

Thank you!
With a good price come with performance parts . This Captiva is a good choice for me especially if you travel in group of 4-6 people. This car can accommodate such crowd. The fuel economy is not that bad but its worth owning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PhilipCruz said:
With a good price come with performance parts . This Captiva is a good choice for me especially if you travel in group of 4-6 people. This car can accommodate such crowd. The fuel economy is not that bad but its worth owning.
You seem to know the stuff ;) What about this Chevrolet Aveo? Looks good, but the review is so-so. Good for driving my family through the city? I care most about safety and space. But I see it doesn't have many stars for safety ;/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a quick update - I DID buy the Captiva and so far love it. I'm getting 37.5mpg and so far havent had any issues (other than needing the front badge replaced - which the dealer did FOC).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts