Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a Tow bar and was wondering if anyone had fitted one, if so are there any pointers you can give or any problems I might encounter.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Had mine fitted by a firm that comes to your house and does it [the same firm fits them for the main dealer]. You have to remove the cars back bumper section of bodywork,then remove a box section of the cars frame workfull width of the car this is still in my garage, then fit a new section which comes as part of the tow bar kit that supports the tow bar. Next brake into the wiring loom and wire up relevant wires, sensors and electronics box so as to bring on tow bar light on dash and supplementary indicator buzzer.Fit tow bar complete and re-fit bodyworkbumper sectioncutting out bottom section that goes over thetowbar. Perhaps not too bad to do but did not fancy the risk of marking the body work or even doing the wiring without a proper wiring diagram. Cost me £300 pounds worth of beer tokens, good look anywayjust don't rush it or force anything

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have had a PCT towbar fitted. Price was £270 including twin electrics and an Alko towball. Job is very neat and tidy. Company used by me was Discount Towbars in Falkirk. You can check out the PCT website for full details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
20/05/11 Discount Towbars, Bog Rd, Falkirk fitted removable towbar and single electrics for £305 inc vat to my 60 Captiva. Removable is recommended to avoid parking sensor errors. Nice job and chap advised availability of clamptype bike rack for swan neck towbars. Good service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chindley said:
I've ordered a Tow bar and was wondering if anyone had fitted one, if so are there any pointers you can give or any problems I might encounter.

Just to point out that a fixed type bar does not interfere with the reversing sensors - guaranteed. They are very high in relation to 'normal' cars and the sensors miss the bar completely.

It was one of my own concerns, and I checked it out before buying a bar by place a tow ball on some bricks at the correct height.

All was OK, so I went ahead with a fixed bar because it [1] offered the best range of bolt on accessories and [2] there is nothing like lump of steel at the back to dissuade other drivers from parking too closely

Subsequently fitted a tow-step to the bar for my grand kids to shin in and out of the fold down rear seats - still no problem with the sensors.

BTW - I have a genuine (unused) Chevrolet 13 pin towing electric kit for sale - see my ad in the general 'for sale' section.

They retail at about £180 (istr) but I'll sell it for £50 as I've now sold the Captiva. A dedicated kit plugs straight in to the vehicle harness and obviates the need for by-pass relays (which fitters of non genuine electrics always use in order to avoid any warranty claims with the vehicle electrics - obviously, with a Chevrolet kit this issue does not apply)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Yes, still got it.

I've been meaning to put all my captiva stuff on ebay, but can't seem to find the tme to take the piocs and do the listings (did the sunsahdes, though - they went within a couple of hours,or so
)

If you want any info on the towing electrics (or some photos sending) quickest thing would be to ring me on 01469 533937.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Just been looking at this thread. I've recently had a twin electrics removable bar fitted to my 57 plate Captiva. Be aware that the newest requirements for the electrics are not to have them hard soldered. There should not be a buzzer on indication (pre 2003 requirement only) if there is, the instalation is incorrect!! The trailer bulb failure should still work as per the car ie double fast solenoid. Speak to Genisis towing centre in Telford, this guy is a tow bar guru.

·
Registered
476 Posts
don't understand so buzzers were not to be fitted AFTER 2003, and a good thing not to solder connections [best form of secure connection]. me thinks con man not guru, use less gear do less work ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts