Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a 100% sure if you call it a towing hook so correct me if i'm wrong :D
But i want to fit one on my 2008 captiva, but is there an electrical schedule available to connect everything?

·
Registered
2014 series 2 auto 2.2L Diesel Holden Captiva
3 Posts
Sounds like your talking about a tiedown point, if so,these a used on car transporters to secure vehicle. These are on all vehicles front and rear

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
JR, It sounds very much to me that Deebo is referring to tow ball hitch. His mention of 'electrical schedule' is to me the guiding phrase. You dont need 'electricals' for the transportation lashing points which you refer to.

Deebo, if, as I suspect, you are referring to a tow ball hitch for trailer/caravan use then you have to be aware that the existing chassis behind the rear bumper/bodywork is not adequate.
When I had my Chevrolet tow ball fitted it involved removing the rear bodywork panel, the existing steel cross member removed, and a new steel subframe and ball fitted.
I did post all the diagrams on this Forum in 2013/14 but with the Forum having been reformatted many of the illustrations are no longer readable on the forum.
As far as the electrical connections are concerned there should be a blanked off 'take off' in the area of the rear wheel or near the spare wheel bay. The Chevrolet mini loom is specifically wired to connect to this with out the need to 'butcher' the existing wiring. I would suggest that you consider the 13 pin option rather than the 7 pin.
There are numerous tow frame and ball fitters listed on the Internet who may be able to fabricate a suitable subframe without the need to remove the rear body panels.

PS; I'll see if I can find my old illustrations on my previous computer. If so I'll add them if/when I find them.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Deebo, The Forum Search tool (10+ years of back info) has numerous discussions on this subject.
The Search function can be found at the top of the Forum page or you can use the Advanced Search by going to the three white dots in the Black Header bar.
Typical link here with lots of discussion which may be useful. Read the one captioned Chevrolet Wiring Kit January 2014.
There is also mention that one member purchased his tow installation from Witter (there are other providers)
Link:- Search results for query: Tow hitch
Bear in mind that some aftermarket tow frames use diagonal members which may prevent the use of the spare wheel void.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Additional info: From Member 'Captivabits' post dated 20.05.2011
" A dedicated kit plugs straight in to the vehicle harness and obviates the need for by-pass relays (which fitters of non genuine electrics always use in order to avoid any warranty claims with the vehicle electrics - obviously, with a Chevrolet kit this issue does not apply).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, i think the last post refers to the case when you have a pre installed connector where the spare tire is, wich i don't have unfortunately

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Thanks for the info, i think the last post refers to the case when you have a pre installed connector where the spare tire is, wich i don't have unfortunately
Do double / treble check the wheel arches as well because it was my understanding that the Series 1 Captiva had a loom take off.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Do double / treble check the wheel arches as well because it was my understanding that the Series 1 Captiva had a loom take off.

Deebo, I've spent some time looking back through previous posts on tow hitch wiring with forum Members who had a Series 1 model.
Typically members Jesta, Neil Meeks, MK Captiva (all owners of Series 1) reported finding the loom take off point in the area of the wheel arch and/or spare wheel void. Just check again in case it has been taped back tightly to the main loom and needs untaping to expose the connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Deebo, I've spent some time looking back through previous posts on tow hitch wiring with forum Members who had a Series 1 model.
Typically members Jesta, Neil Meeks, MK Captiva (all owners of Series 1) reported finding the loom take off point in the area of the wheel arch and/or spare wheel void. Just check again in case it has been taped back tightly to the main loom and needs untaping to expose the connector.
Found my daughters Series 2 cable clipped to the main chassis rail, rear RHS up under the back. You are looking for a plug with a dozen or so pins, but of course there is no readily available connector so I just cut into the loom end and took off all I needed for a UK setup. Fitting the towbar requires removing the main rear bumper/skirt to reveal a bolted on x member which you swap for the towbar x member. I didn't have to trim the skirt. With wiring, all done Sat afternoon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts