Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,Looking for urgent help,
I had my chevy Captiva 2008 checked over on the computer today 25/3/11
and returned that the Traction Control Module was faulty :(
Does anyone know how much these cost?
Can they be replaced personally?
Does this mean going into a dealership and get ripped off?

Replies would be greatful

·
Registered
997 Posts
The traction control system is part of the abs baking system. Is this something you have noticed as an issue, or is it simply a stored fault code. I would be wary in the extreme of letting them look at your car if it's out of warranty, which I presume from your post it is, unless they can tell you what is required definatively before they do.
Some stuff to check before you hand it to the dealer- who are variable at best according to the posts in the forum

1. Are there any warning lights on the dash in normal operation?
2. Have you checked that the TC works? Try switching the dash TC on/off switch- does the warning light indicating TC off on the dash illuminate? If not, find a wet or muddy piece of road, give it some (too much) welly and make the front wheels spin up. The yellowTC light on the dash should flash if and when the wheels spin and you may be able to feel the TC activate- fast vibration or similar.If the wheels spin andthe light goes on, does it stay on after the wheels stop spinning? If so you may have a problem.
3. Does the abs work? Again, find a piece of slippy road if poss, get some safe speed up, stand on the brakes and lock the wheels, do you feel the pulsing through the brake pedal indicating the abs kicking in- make sure you do this somewhere safe with no cars behind you, otherwise traction control may well be the least of your worries.

In my experience with other makes, if there is no abs fault showing,it's seldom the abs that's the problem. It's usually the TC switch or sensor or wiring, but I would want to be as sure as I can that there really is a problem before doing anything about it that might cost a packet. If you have the actual fault code I can diagnose the issue for you- I have access to the codes, but there are a number of codes relating to the TC/ABS system, so without the specific code, it's not possible to be definate about any of this.

If it does turn out to the the abs, then I think that's probably a dealer only job, but TC issues might be a deal easier to deal with. 9 times out of 10 it's the switch in the cabin. If nothing else is indicated but the issue is still there, I would get hold of a switch, swap it over and see if it's cured- cheaper than an abs module replacement!

Hope this helps

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply Ian,You are right the TC lights came on first then the ABS light came onintermittentlyand nowpermanently. I will try and get the codes that came up.
The dealership couldn't source a traction control module, so unsure if maybe the software local garage is using has differentterminologyto the dealership i may have to bite the bullet and let them have a look.
Will keep you informed with progress and if anything info for others.

Cheers
Ally

·
Registered
153 Posts
How long has your car been out of warranty, if only soand you have a full service history try to get Chevrolet pick up the bill. It will only cost you a stamp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts