Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the trim around the car has gone a grey white in places and needs colouring back to what it was. Does anyone have any ideas as to what i can use?Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
As in external chrome trim? it is coated plastic, my epica has been like that since i had it chevrolet won't pay up. so leaving as it is. you can find some bits on e-bay, but don't DON'T go to any of the chinese websites!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry I wasnt clear, I mean the pvc trim...it should be dark grey and its gone very pale (almost white in places).Thanks

·
Registered
652 Posts
You can get colour polish for the external trim in most car part shop or Halfords. The do their own brands or Turtle Wax, lods to choose from.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For me, the plastic trim is one of the things that lets the look of the car down, and cheapens the image evens further.
The last new car I bought with a plastic trim like this was a Corsa in 1994 and after two or three years the black trim faded to a grey in the sunlight and had to treated annually to bringthe colourback.

Can't believe in 2012 I'll have to go back to that annual nonsense in 3 or 4 years time, unless of course i've traded it in!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Sounds as if plastic has oxydised with atmosphere and sunlight (what sunlight I ask myself?). In Australia I used to use the foam tyre restorer (not black tarry coating) with old paint brush or rag. I have just used Autoglym Bumper Care and although my plastic trim isnew, it has brought the 'life' back to it. The Autoglym product is useable on any colour plastic and is semi permanent in its treatment so doesnt have to be repetetive chore. It leaves a sort of 'sun tan lotion film' on the plastic which protects and makes cleaning much easier. As previous post indicates most motor stores have a bewildering range. Remember the older the plastic the more elbow grease needed.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
Autoglym bumper care is great- that's what I use too. I always put it on the grey parts before polishing the car- it stops any ordinary polish getting stuck in the indentations on the grey trim. I pit it on with a soft nailbrush as it seems to penetrate better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts