Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay help again please........the orange petrol light was on today and I thought it said I still had 40 miles left, but when I got in the car later on and started the engine there was 3 flashing dashes on the trip computer does this mean no petrol left and how can it drop when I had not driven the car???

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe that it always shows dashes for a while until you drive for a bit as itdoesn'tstore whatever it calculated and displayed previously.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It's an automatic response when the fuel low warning light illuminates. There are usually about 10 litres left in mine at that point.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Seen this on mine a few times. There isnt pattern to it that I can replicate, all I can say is that it hasnt happened to me for a while.

I believe it is a bug in the s/w, which happens when the fuel gets so low that the trip computer gets erroneous readings from the tank, and cant perform the mile to go calc, so it resets itself. If you manually force a reset on the trip comp, you get the same --- indicator.

I mentioned it when I first saw noticed to Chevrolet and they confirmed a s/w update was due, but it wasnt available then and now I'm out of warranty.

Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please explain what a S/W is as I have only had the car 6 weeks.
Thank you all for the replys

·
Registered
997 Posts
The same happened in my old Renault Laguna and on my wife's Renault Trafic, fuel; light on = no miles left = buy some fuel.

Simples!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are you sure she isn't blond? seems like she only puts in £20 at a time, if you look at the fuel consumption query. Shall we have a whip round?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I am Red not Blonde

I put £65 in last night and it stated 340 miles to go,and today went out in the car and it now states 290 miles to go how can this be or maybe I am Blonde?
Sorry it must be a guy thing as us women do not need to be car geeks as that is what you Men are for

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mary, Mary, bit contraried, just teasing. Car electronics baffle me and I had 25 tears (i mean years) in the motor trade! when you filled it it was probably level, are you parked on a slope, either up/down or sideways. As we said before trip computers are not accurate, they are a bit of a guide. Did you see when jeremy clarkson drove from switzerland to blackpool on a single tank in a jaguar xj diesel and the car told him it was empty 100 miles short of blackpool and he got there. Apart from the niggles Are you enjoying the car? Happy motoring..

It will calculate the driving distance according to how you drove it today. If you go out on to an empty a road and drive steadily then it will show differently to what it will show if you are stuck in town.
Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmmm must admit Contrary Mary has been mentioned before

I am not parked on a slope well as far as I can tell but it does seem to be quite random this computer thingy suppose I will just need to live with it.
Yes I am enjoying the car very much I love any excuse to drive it.......maybe that's why the fuel is a problem???

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Newbie, Simplest solution is to do same as me - forget the trip computer thingy and use the original one; the fuel guage with swing needle thatgoes from 'F' to 'E' as you drive. When it gets near to the 'E' put more fuel in and write the mileage on the receipt. Keep the recepts (as I do) and you can work out virtually any option of fuel consumption over any given period of time.
We blind ourselves with technology these days. Old and original still has its benefits. By the way I got into a habit years ago (before fuel line filters were added to vehicles) never to go below quarter empty for fear of sucking up debris from bottom of fuel tank; also gave me time and miles to find the next service station.Dont let all the gizmos on your vehicle confuse you - drive the thing and enjoy the vehicle.
I am.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry bit late replying to your question, what is s/w. Roverboy was spot on, sorry I'm from an IT background so have habbit of using abbreviations where possible.

s/w is software. These are the computer programs that run the functions.

h/w is hardware. These are the computers or the actual physical devices that you can touch and feel.

So, in this case the h/w is the actual trip computer, the screen to put it simply, but the fault lies in the program, the s/w, which interprets the data given to it to give you information on the screen. In this case, there is bug (error in the program), which it cant make sense of the data it is recieving, so performs a reset. Why you see the --- flashing until the reset is complete, then you get refreshed information displayed.

As for running your car so low on fuel, i have done so when caught out before, but you shouldnt make a habbit of it. There was a post on this last year about this. The fuel pump uses the fuel to keep it cool, if you run the tank low, the fuel pump can overheat and seize, leaving you with an expensive repair bill. As a rule of thumb, you should run below a quarter full.

Cant remember what tht thread was, if I find it, I will post a link. I think, OldRoverBoy and bigiain where on the board back then and contrubuted to the thread. I think it may have been one I started, re me getting home on a nearly empty tank.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Oldroverboy said:
It will calculate the driving distance according to how you drove it today. If you go out on to an empty a road and drive steadily then it will show differently to what it will show if you are stuck in town.

I'm not so sure. Regardless of the average consumption showing on the trip, my Captiva always shows the same miles to go on a full tank (383). If I'm being careful, I can do about 100 miles with the trip saying that I can do another 350 ish miles (incidentally, I can easily do 425 per tank). Go figure. I look at the trip as an amusement rather than a tool and use the good old fashioned fuel gauge and nearly empty warning.

KL, I think they could do with your services to write some software that actually works. It's all a bit basic and agricultural. The trip in my old Laguna was very accurate by comparison to the point where i didn't bother with the fill to fill calculation

·
Registered
380 Posts
As KLR said I posted a comment on his post about howfar he got with the fuel light showing before he filled up. "Chevrolet (and others) state that fuel pump failure due to running out of fuel where the lubrication of the extremely tight clearances on the high pressure fuel pump ceases is NOT covered under warranty." Any doubters, ask your dealer and don't run out of fuel. it will be one expensive economy!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Oldroverboy said:
As KLR said I posted a comment on his post about howfar he got with the fuel light showing before he filled up. "Chevrolet (and others) state that fuel pump failure due to running out of fuel where the lubrication of the extremely tight clearances on the high pressure fuel pump ceases is NOT covered under warranty." Any doubters, ask your dealer and don't run out of fuel. it will be one expensive economy!

I don't doubt that in the slightest, I was merely commenting on what a waste of time it is paying any attention to the trip! I fill when the light comes on or, more usually, before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts