Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CAPTIVA LT VCDI 2.2 D AWD, 2012 AVEO LT VCDI 1.3 D T300 (70KW 95HP LSF) FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been trying unsuccessfully for a while to find a new engine/gearbox mount for our 2012 Aveo 1.4 D Hatch. Not found anything from normal parts suppliers; not always listed & never in stock. There are some used on eBay, but until you get them home you'll not know if they are any better than the one you're trying to replace. We have managed to find more common parts eg brake pads/wheel bearings from parts suppliers but no luck with the gearbox mount. Even managed to buy a Corsa sump to replace the original. Would anyone know

a) Where I can get a gearbox mount or a supplier of tough rubber gromets so I can try & replace only them
b) Is the Corsa gearbox mount likely to fit; I may then risk ordering it to see
c) What on earth is going on with the Chevrolet Authorised Repairers system; I've been passed from pillar to post and back it's a bloomin shambles.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
R-R, I've just done a quick search in respect of your item (a) and there is a whole page full of them online.

Item (b) no idea if Corsa part is appropriate. How ever ...... think outside the box.... the Aveo was the successor to the Kalos and many Kalos parts suit the Aveo.

item (c) There is no Chevrolet Authorised Repairers system. When Chevrolet withdrew from the UK/European markets in 2015 the designated Chevrolet dealers died a death. Some Vauxhall dealers were happy to service certain Chevrolet models which shared common parts such as the Captiva/Antara, Trax/Mokka, and other Vauxhall dealers never wanted to 'know' Chevrolet owners at all.
When Vauxhall was sold to the PSA Group in 2017 Vauxhall (as we knew it) then had new directives to support PSA Group vehicles. New computer shift ceased to provide any parts data appertaining to Chevrolet and as a consequence very few Vauxhall dealers have any means of looking up or ordering parts.

This Forum is not a parts sourcing facility....... you will simply have to scour the internet or breakers yards as everyone else, or of course, as in the case of item (b), find vehicles which have or share common parts. The 'check vehicle compatibility' on many parts sellers websites list the vehicles the part is suitable for. Items on the link I gave you above shows Kalos/Aveo suitability.

·
Registered
2011 CAPTIVA LT VCDI 2.2 D AWD, 2012 AVEO LT VCDI 1.3 D T300 (70KW 95HP LSF) FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply Aussie Ed.

I also did a similar eBay search unfortunately those do not fit my Aveo (it's the rear engine/gearbox mount I'm after & most don't even look similar).

I know the Chevrolet dealer network died a death when they left the UK/Europe but there is supposed to be support for 10 years and we are not past that yet. Their website Chevrolet UK: New & Used Cars, City Cars & Family Cars gives the impression of there still being authorised repairers. On discussion with their Customer Services (the freephone number goes through to Vauxhall CS) Vauxhall dealers are still supposed to be able to order parts for Chevrolets. I've an open case number with them so I'll let you know how that goes. It's been a frustrating journey so far with CS saying one thing, one of the supposed authorised repairers saying another and being passed from pillar to post. I'm still waiting on a call back from the parts dept of Arnold Clark (Dundee), who's receptionist confirmed that they still have dealings for parts with Chevrolet. We also have a very poor quality voicemail from the CS person saying something about France but I will have to ring him back (not helped by English not bring his first language but he's still better at English than I am at his native tongue, whatever that is). I'm taking notes to keep track.

I have scoured the internet like everyone else and got precisely nowhere which is why I joined this site/forum. I know it's not primarily a parts sourcing site although judging by the number of requests for help re finding parts; it's getting there. Part of owning any car is maintaining/repairing it. Most people use dealers or independent garages/mechanics but we do as much as we can ourselves as we have some skills and not much money. It's not easy when sourcing parts is so difficult. We bought our Aveo & Captiva second hand and relatively cheaply compared to other comparable makes/models; now we know why.

We have a pretty good independent parts supplier near where I live which is how we ended up getting a Corsa sump that fitted perfectly (almost identical), there were 2 potential variations, initially we were given the one with an extra hole for a sensor which the Aveo didn't have but exchanged it for the one without. This was due to the suppliers knowledge/experience not from anything written down in a parts catalogue. I was hoping that some-one here would have more insight into the potential for Corsa part cross model compatibility. Comparing pictures of the mounting shows that they look similar & if it is I will post again it may help some-one. I will investigate more thoroughly the Kalos option.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
There is a Vauxhall dealer who is still connected to Chevrolet system - Baylis at Cheltenham.
Maybe you can arrange a mail-order if they can obtain the part.
See this link post #3 this may be a route to obtain the part you require.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
R-R, Just to pick up separately on your comment "Vauxhall dealers are still supposed to be able to order parts for Chevrolets", the cost to a dealership to maintain tech data, diagnostics & ordering function online is considerable, hence very few will commit funds for a dying brand which is in effect not viable financially to offer any support to. Added to this, the emphasis for them (Vauxhall) is to sell and support PSA Group vehicles, not Chevrolet !
It will be interesting to hear about the feed back you get from your contacts.

The underlying fact is that this Forum and its core members are not qualified parts personnel to take on the role of sourcing parts. Why should the nucleus of existing members be expected to become 'button pressers' and do other peoples online shopping for them when these folk can explore the internet and motor factors directly themselves? Over the past 12-18months there has been a huge proliferation of one off contact members who simply want to off-load the shopping / sourcing task to someone else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R-R, Just to pick up separately on your comment "Vauxhall dealers are still supposed to be able to order parts for Chevrolets", the cost to a dealership to maintain tech data, diagnostics & ordering function online is considerable, hence very few will commit funds for a dying brand which is in effect not viable financially to offer any support to. Added to this, the emphasis for them (Vauxhall) is to sell and support PSA Group vehicles, not Chevrolet !
It will be interesting to hear about the feed back you get from your contacts.

The underlying fact is that this Forum and its core members are not qualified parts personnel to take on the role of sourcing parts. Why should the nucleus of existing members be expected to become 'button pressers' and do other peoples online shopping for them when these folk can explore the internet and motor factors directly themselves? Over the past 12-18months there has been a huge proliferation of one off contact members who simply want to off-load the shopping / sourcing task to someone else.
Aussie Ed, It wasn't my comment it was what the Vauxhall CS agent said; I should have put it in quotation marks. I understand that the former dealers have nothing to gain but hassle from supporting Chevrolet owners. Chevrolet by stating that they will continue to support owners for a period of time but then not having a system in place to effectively do so is very bad customer service. Not having an informative website with accurate info is also pretty poor. I too await with interest the deciphering of the response from Vauxhall CS and any reply from Arnold Clark (they are thieving b's at the best of times & probably more so when they've got you over a barrel). I won't be holding my breath.

I'm not expecting any member of this group to do my shopping for me; I'm capable of doing that myself usually successfully but when you hit a brick wall you ask for help from others with more experience and a passion for the car/subject or whatever. I/We are relative newcomers to owning Chevrolets which admittedly has happened by chance but we like them and want to continue to use them. We do not want to have to scrap an otherwise perfectly good vehicle over the difficulty of sourcing a small part. It doesn't matter one jot that members aren't qualified parts personnel, this is an owners club and hopefully there are owners that have found solutions to problems that they can share. I'm fortunate to know a number of mechanics/enthusiasts who have no formal qualifications just oodles of experience unfortunately just not with Chevrolets. I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone for knowing the answer.

Of course there has been a proliferation of people joining to try & source parts; they can't find them anywhere else (there will also be a few who are lazy). Where better to ask for help than on an owners club website? Looking for rare/difficult to find parts is probably the reason why many people initially join an owners club of any marque (Morris Marina & Ital Owners Club....anyone......no?.....I am surprised!). I'm going to hypothesise that many one-off contact members are one-off for the reason that they cannot find parts and so scrap the vehicle therefore becoming ex owners.

Another possibility I'm going to explore is getting something that almost fits and getting the local smiddy to modify it; as we don't have the equipment to bend or weld cast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We now have the offending part off the vehicle, (it was quite easy) and will be taking it to the parts place tomorrow to see if anything from any make or model is likely to fit...not a purist.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was going to try to add to this before Ed commented, but decided not to get involved.

What occurred to me is that although you have told us that you have a diesel T300, you didn't mention if it is a 75bhp 5 speed, or a 95bhp 6 speed, so we cannot know if it has an F17 or an M32 gearbox, nor did you post a picture of the mount, and didn't do so even after you had removed it, despite multiple GM vehicles using these gearboxes. Posting a picture would have helped others to compare your mount with others fitted to more common vehicles.

We have all seen pictures of people's attempts to "fix" the "open" type engine/gearbox mounts with silicon/PU mastic, where the rubber has split/ detached, however you then mentioned that you were looking for hard rubber grommets which made me think that it was not the open type of anti-vibration mount. Do you understand why posting a picture might help folk to get thinking?

Re the repairers scheme. It is a joke. Does not exist and never really has. When GM announced the pull out in 2013, that was it. Gone. My own Aveo was in for minor (and I mean minor) front end damage in Feb 2014, and it was eventually returned to me in June 2014, as a result of front bumper parts (bits of plastic) having to be shipped from Korea.
GM have done the same in AU/NZ , India etc and don't give a toss because they will never again be selling us a product so why would they care? PSA bought the assets not the liabilities so don't care either. Chevrolet carried on selling T300's in the UK until early 2015, it was the last car that was available, and these were just old stock, in previous times they would have been dumped via an auction house like the Alfa Arna/ Cherry Europe, Fiat Chroma, Yugos, Rover CityRover etc, but GM wanted to keep the illusion going a bit longer until PSA took over in 2017.

Nobody now buys or operates a Korean Chevrolet because they think it is a good car. They do so because it was a "bargain" or because they have one and are stuck with it. As it happens, I like my car too, and by December, will have done another 30k in it during the course of the year, so I sympathise with your cause.

With regards to Arnold Shark. The only time I would go into one of their showrooms is if I happened to be passing by, and was busting for the toilet. And only then if there wasn't a VW/Audi dealership within "range". Much nicer!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Also.... There are only a few hundred T300's on UK roads, and a small percentage of diesels, and few "active" members here. In 2021, few people work on their own cars. They have been "educated" out of it, so finding T300 expertise will never be easy.

When you manage to sort your car, either by finding a new part or modifying one, PLEASE report back what you did, with photos, as that is the only way that a resource for others is built.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
2012 1.2 Aveo Hatch
6 Posts
Interesting you mentioned that there aren't that many T300s on the roads, I'd never thought of it. Had a check and assuming T300s are post 2011 manufacturing date, there's just over 600.

Few are aware there's also a T300.1 version, which mine is, which can either have a mixture of parts from the pervious gen and even parts that were only traditionally fitted to European cars such as from Italy, Lithuania etc. Brake calipers is a classic example, at around the 2012 crossover there is actually three different front calipers, however only two formally listed. On GM's computer system if you search by reg you can find the 'in between' parts but they're cropped by even worse availability.. except from the continent where dealers may still have NOS. Even more oddly (and I still use calipers as an example) the rebuild kits were released to aftermarket and as such are freely available in the UK at aftermarket prices. Some of these cars are also fully continent packaged cars that were imported before registration.. you won't find record of the import outside of GM but the differences are there, if not slight.

T300.1 Front Caliper 2012 crossover £246 main dealer

Rebuild kit £19 delivered.

Shocked me that figure though, no wonder it's difficult to find bits!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hadn't taken a picture of the gearbox mount as it was late & after a day hairsting & we were away to have a beer before bed. Plus I was going to post a picture of the Corsa one next to it. Picked up the new mount this morning.

Just back in after another day hairsting & taxiing the kids to find that it was already fitted, so no side by side photo but once I figure how to post a photo I can show you the knackered one. (not had much luck posting photo's of any kind on any forum)

Anyway the Corsa part is a good enough fit only requiring a couple of washers to pack it out as the original is slightly deeper. The original bolt fitted which was a bonus; it did look slightly smaller but that was just an optical illusion. The local smiddy has a lad that can weld aluminium so modifying it was a possibility but thankfully not needed. Cars aren't their thing and it's a busy time of year for them.

The current job is to try & remove the front drivers brake disk whole but smash it off if necessary in order to fit the new wheel bearings tomorrow. They (+ new discs) arrived at the parts place at midday but I've not had time to go get them yet. Will get them tomorrow morning then take the hub to the smiddy to get the old bearing pressed out & the new one pressed in.

Sods law means that we are down to one car between the 3 of us, the Captiva is away for it's MOT to a good friend that 'relishes?!' the challenge of working on awkward b's of cars and we've had a few of them, although he did threaten to torch the late Ulysse when the clutch wouldn't line up. Hopefully there's nothing too serious wrong with the Captiva, the problem could be getting an MOT slot, there's normally a 2 week wait.

Wish us luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re working on cars, we, well one of us is a pretty capable self taught mechanic, I'm just the "orra loon". We know our limitations. Anything electronic is a definite no. If we weren't so pressed for time we would have replaced the corroded brake pipes on the Captiva ourselves & tightened up the electric hand brake; that is now our friends job plus whatever else he finds. Exhausts we out source along with fitting new tyres even though we have a set of tyre levers of the old fashioned type.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Re working on cars, we, well one of us is a pretty capable self taught mechanic, I'm just the "orra loon". We know our limitations. Anything electronic is a definite no. If we weren't so pressed for time we would have replaced the corroded brake pipes on the Captiva ourselves & tightened up the electric hand brake; that is now our friends job plus whatever else he finds. Exhausts we out source along with fitting new tyres even though we have a set of tyre levers of the old fashioned type.
Excellent. Self taught, the best way! Over here "Anything electronic" is a definite "yes" and has been for as long as I can remember. Tyres. Yes. Outsourced here too.....time to fish the winter ones out of the shed soon.
One car between three of you? What a nightmare. Last Christmas I was down to one for a bit. The 407 was "last man standing" for a few days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Excellent. Self taught, the best way! Over here "Anything electronic" is a definite "yes" and has been for as long as I can remember. Tyres. Yes. Outsourced here too.....time to fish the winter ones out of the shed soon.
One car between three of you? What a nightmare. Last Christmas I was down to one for a bit. The 407 was "last man standing" for a few days.
We own 6 cars at present. 3 are non runners a 1978 Morris Marina Estate Deluxe! no less - initially off the road because some ned smashed the windows & replacements were difficult to find. A Toyota Corolla rally car, the engine of which is still in said brilliant mechanic friend's shed after a rebuild a decade ago; the wiring loom has been savaged by mice so now needs replacing. A Honda FRV that was the last family car which just wore out and is mouldering away out back (I really liked it when it was working). The first 2 are potential retirement/lottery (makes me laugh semi-hysterically) projects; the Honda is awaiting the scrappy.

Beside the 2 Chevy's there is a 3 pot Skoda Fabia which is the only one running. The Aveo was used by Child No.1 who as an apprentice had no money to buy and run a car. So then we bought the Skoda to teach Child No. 2 to drive and as our regular run about. Then we bought the Captiva for it's 7 seats/size/price and ability to pull a decent sized trailer. The next home for every car we buy is the scrapyard but only when they are really done. We once bought a new car and it turned out to be a nightmare with all sorts of issues requiring fixing (or not as the case maybe) under the so called warranty, so was sold quickly before it needed an MOT.

Just heard back from our mechanic mate the Captiva only needs a brake pipe(s) & tyres; apparently the all weathers disintegrated on the rolling road; no mention of the handbrake so we'll look into that ourselves when we get it back. Our mate has a very good relationship with a MOT tester; there's a 2 week wait for a test just now but they are able to take a car down and have it sit there waiting, on the off chance that there is a no show and luckily for us there was. It's failed but our mate is trusted to do the work properly and it'll get a pass without having to see the tester again. This involves a lot of trust between all parties.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two photo's of the knackered gearbox mount off the car. As you can see the original is swan necked whereas the Corsa equivalent is just straight, this made comparing the two difficult. Our parts mannie allowed us to take the part to compare side by side and to offer it up to the car without taking payment. One of the benefits of building up a good relationship with a local business. In the last (3rd) photo (of the new part) you can just about see the washers used to make the depth of the part up to that of the original. It seems to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is where we are just now; note the obligatory baler twine in the first photo. Been to the parts place and collected a pair of discs £70 (only need one but sold in pairs, however got them at trade price); wheel bearing £38 and the mount £20. Straight to the smiddy; disc removed with their fancy vibrating tool & some persuasion; the old bearing pressed out & the new one pressed in. The weathers good so putting it back together again will have to wait till later tonight when the dew is down. Got help from Child No. 3 so I'm able to waste a little time on these posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By being a no no, I mean we can't/won't touch it; as we don't understand it, even using a fault code reader is witchcraft as far as we're concerned. So we try & avoid it as much as possible which is a losing battle. Down to one car is a pain but not crippling as we work at home & Child No. 1 can usually borrow their works van (which cramps their social a little) and if we're really desperate there's always the tractors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
OK, so all assembled and now the ABS light is on and after being extensively tested it's obvious the ABS is not working. I'm sort of OK with not having ABS as the cars I learnt on and drove for many years didn't have such wizardry and I would drive accordingly. But Child No.1, the main driver of the Aveo is young, overconfident and slightly aggressive driver who has known nothing else so I'm reluctant to let them drive it, even temporarily. We have a new rear brake sensor which of course/sadly doesn't fit the front, we did compare on the off chance. MOT's not for a few months so we've got breathing space. What's really annoying is that we took our time and very very carefully and slowly eased the old sensor out so that we didn't break it (haha). When we did the rear wheel bearing we did the same but assumed that we'd break the sensor which we didn't hence the spare. It's Sunday and although we're still working as usual the parts place where normal people work is annoyingly shut. Meh!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts