Chevrolet Owners Club banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
In my limited experience it's near impossible to get those sensors out without breaking them. Last one I took out on the 407 (to do a bearing), had to be drilled out. I'd guess that the coils of fine wire inside them just break if any twisting effort at all is applied.
Test it with a low range AC voltmeter and spin the hub. No volts, no good.

Young, overconfident, and slightly aggressive? Hopefully she will calm down and realise that the road is a shared space with no place for overconfidence or aggression.

A road I drive regularly. Also happens to have a very high incidence of gun and knife crime. Best to keep a low profile.

·
Registered
2011 CAPTIVA LT VCDI 2.2 D AWD, 2012 AVEO LT VCDI 1.3 D T300 (70KW 95HP LSF) FWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Eeek that's scary, Child No.1 isn't violent to people just young and relatively inexperienced. Had a solo accident a year and a half ago in a really tidy low mileage Fiat Grande Punto by skidding on ice clipping a drystone wall putting it on it's side & sliding down the hill for 200 yards ending upside down.......needless to say it was a write off. No injuries except to pride. The side door pillar was worn through but the airbags didn't deploy, the only part that was unscathed was the boot lid?! Claimed to be doing 40mph which I believe, however should have been going 20 or less. It's a road I know well and have had a few near misses on & now avoid if there is even a hint of frost on it. Narrow single track with passing places, plenty of bends & steep bits, large trees that shade the road etc. To be fair, when we went to recover them & the car & tidy up; we could hardly stand up it was that icy. But if my moaning about how I didn't like going over the hill in icy weather had been listened to, if they'd had more experience, exercised more caution, been going slower the chance are that the Punto would still be with us we wouldn't have bought the Aveo and I wouldn't be on this site. Lots of ifs there I know. It calmed them down for a while but bad habits have crept back in. Hoping to get a sensor by midday tomorrow so that they can go on a 350 mile trip to England to visit relatives; a bit later than planned but hey ho in a safer car.

We were real canny about taking the sensor off, absolutely no twisting just very gentle prying with a thin bladed screwdriver, a little bit here a little bit there until it eventually came free but I think you are right it is almost certainly b******d. We've broken a few over the years, but hoped as the rear came off ok we'd be right with this one.

Will check with the meter & hopefully it'll confirm the sensor is dead not some other harder to find fault.

·
Registered
2011 CAPTIVA LT VCDI 2.2 D AWD, 2012 AVEO LT VCDI 1.3 D T300 (70KW 95HP LSF) FWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update re discussions with Chevrolet/Vauxhall CS. The Frenchman and I have been at cross purposes due to the language barrier. He thought I wanted a whole gearbox not the gearbox mount. Don't know how we got so far along in the process but we've now established that fact it's a gearbox mount and my case has not been escalated. I'm now in conversation with some one else re possibly a place in Preston that can help. which is OK because mechanic brother lives near and can go and thump a counter on my behalf. Don't really need the gearbox mount as the work around is good but am pursuing the matter out of sheer bloody mindedness or masochism, take your pick.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
ABS is a totally different Topic to the original captioned Topic (Engine /Gearbox mount).
New ABS discussions should be a totally different topic (either new or added to existing ABS discussions).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Understood, the thread has morphed, but if you read the whole thread it follows on from what has been said before. Perhaps should have titled it differently.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
Understood, the thread has morphed, but if you read the whole thread it follows on from what has been said before. Perhaps should have titled it differently.
Whist ABS may have been touched on in your Engine mount Topic it is a separate topic issue. The use of the Forum Search function would not identify ABS discussions under the title Engine mount. Your Topic on ABS has therefore been moved to a new entry titled 'ABS' for ease of discussion and traceability.
Forum Guidelines do encourage contributors to relate discussion to the topic title; "If you have more than one Question please try to open (or add to) an existing Topic for each question. Importantly keep discussion relevant to the Topic under the caption title".
I hope this clarifies and explains why your ABS issue is now a new entry.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts