Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Some weeks ago there was mention of Tuning Boxes which generated a modest mixed response and I was asked if I went ahead with one to keep you all informed. So for those of you interested hereis the latest.
Yesterday (27th May) I had one fitted in Chelmsford as I was goingthat way for collection of some goods.

Here is'day 1' of report. Journey from Suffolk into Essex returned 34.2mpg on trip screen cruise set at 70. Return journey same route back (open dual A12 + A14)gave 36.2mpg (5.85% improvement). It should be noted that return journey was with Aircon running (wasnt necessary in the morning) and I also had a 112Kg load on board for return. Aircon can normally be considered to have negative effect of between 2-3mpg and the weight load I cant quantify, but if we take 3mpg as a loss figure then the improvement was probably nearer 39mpg meaning the mpg improvement was about 14% (34.2 up to 39).

Additionally, the slight 'hesitancy' I used to get from pullaway (ie roundabouts etc) has gone. Idle revs are up fractionally from 700 to nearly 750 but inperceptible. Feels more 'responsive' withoutfeeling like a runaway horse. I should add that I am not looking for 'Boy Racer' status and modest improvement in response and an increase in MPG seems to meet my criteria.

Further report(s) on town use and combined use will follow once I have data. Hope this is of interest to some of you.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
Can I suggest that you disregard the trip and do a fill to fill calculation. I had the same effect whenI had a tuning box fitted, but because the box essentially fools the ECU, it records better economy than it managed. I didn't see any improvement and in fact my overall consumption was about 1-2 mpg lower with it fitted.

Don't mean to be a damp squib...

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will be doing so Bigiain. Early days and will take weeks to provide conclusive data.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just read something about Tuning Boxes via Twitter (@ChevroletOwners), but it just directed me to this website.

What is it, who supplies it and what is it supposed to do please ??

Are they Chevrolet approved ??

And, the big question, how much are they ??

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi CBers, I had one fitted yesterday (see above post). I am one for trying reasonable 'gizmos' and thought would give it a try. It is 'plug & play' (the one I purchased at least) and can be removed / transferred to other car if you change vehicles. I will not attempt to repeat the tech info for brevity of space on this post but you can visit www.tdi-tuning.co.uk and key in your carmodel and get the detail. I would stress that I am not in any way promoting/selling this or anyother make; I am simply doing an evaluation which others may find useful whatever the outcome. Cost for my model £289.99 (buy the disconnection plug cap as well at same time for £9.99). Mention Chevrolet Forum and gave me 5% discount.Fee fitting at Chelmsford or can 'diy it' if reasonably competent (20 mins).

Have a look at web site for full info. Hope this info useful.
Cheers Aussie Ed

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigiainw said:
Can I suggest that you disregard the trip and do a fill to fill calculation. I had the same effect whenI had a tuning box fitted, but because the box essentially fools the ECU, it records better economy than it managed. I didn't see any improvement and in fact my overall consumption was about 1-2 mpg lower with it fitted.

Don't mean to be a damp squib...

Hi Bigiainw, I took up your point with supplier and they do accept that no trip computer can be 100%, so brim to brim fill is the ultimate answer, howevermost modern ECU's 're-learn' data and within a shortdistance my trip would be giving fairly accurate reading. (older static ECU's didnt have the 're-learn' function and could be inaccurate). The thing that has impressed me with the firm I have gone to is that they never avoided answering my questions and always responded promply - this shows their professionalism. I gave them my desired criteria and so far looks as if they have delivered.

Quote from their reply receivedthis afternoon copied below:

If it turns out to be a load of 'bull' then I'll remove it; if it does what I want all the better. I'll let you all know after several weeks evaluation.

Aussie Ed

Thanks for your email. Your friend is right in the sense that the MPG computers are only ever a guide and not 100% accurate. The MPG computers sometimes takes a few miles to adjust as the ECU gets used to the system however it will not be that far out. We always recommend brim to brim tests to accurately work out MPG return. I'd expect you to be getting a good 4+ to the gallon from the vehicle. I'd monitor the MPG computer, reset the mileage on the next fill up and then keep a close eye on the results.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
997 Posts
LikeI said, I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but like most of the electrics on the Captiva, the trip is not exactly state of the art and certainly from my experience does not cope with the ecu being altered or affected by an add on. I have had my Captiva remapped (and the DPF removed)and it does the same with that, ie, it reads much better on the trip than it does from the calculation. I like the remap for the same reasons that you like the box, the car is smoother and has much better acceleration, particularly in the mid range. The better economy would be great, but it's really a secondary thing for me, which is just as well because even the remap and DPF has only resulted in a 1-2mpg improvement overall, which is why I'm a bit sceptical. In terms of physics you don't get something for nothing!Edited by: bigiainw

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All, I promised to keep you informed of updates on use of Tuning Box.
Evaluation of results (MPG wise) continue with fill to fill and different journys and I will come back with more info when consistent figures achieved.So far all still thumbs up.

However, one of the factors of considerationwas how a tuning box is percieved by the insurance companies. I am able to confirm that after exchanges of correspondence and telephone conversations, my Insurer (begins with A ends with A and has a big Norwich office) has acknowledged that the 'tuning' of an engine is not necessarily done for 'boy racer status' and for specific objectives such as economy, towing etc that such changescan berecognised andthey have approved my 'modification' and listed it as recognised on my policy as 'Engine Tuned' without - yes without any surcharge or premium excess. Well done them.
Goes to prove that insurers will listen to you if you present a sensible case.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
If I'm ever up for murder Aussie Ed, I'm hiring you as my lawyer....

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Big Iain - nice compliment. I'll tell you (and anyone else if interested) how I convinced them, but best off forum on a personal email basis.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
Any update on your economy etc Aussie Ed. It's awfully quiet in here....

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Bigiain, Still building meaningful stats as I am aware of the 'one swallow doesnt make a summer' sydrome. Travel is a bit curtailed at moment with extensive work on house (to extent not livable in it at moment) so all effort on getting that done. Pottering around town plus bit of country roads has given 33.8 which is up from 28-29 previously. Decent run south on motorway two weekends ago was hampered byvery strong SW headwinds (the sort of wind you could lean into and not fall over!)and returned 32.8 (Suffolk>Kent>Surrey & return). Therefore weather hampered this into lower figs. This figure was down from previous Motorway test runsgiving 38+.
Running tyres at lower inflation of 35/36psi and not the 'hard ride' 38psi Eco.In theory the harder psi wouldgive furtherslight improvement. All tests so far in Auto mode.Later I will use manual box.

General view so far is that it is certainly no worse than I had before and by gosh it is soooo willing to 'go' ifI need it to! Good job this vehicle has good brakes.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
180 Posts
Aussie Ed said:
...... and by gosh it is soooo willing to 'go' ifI need it to! Good job this vehicle has good brakes.
Aussie Ed
LOL

Keep the stats coming.

I'm trialling ECO mode around town and normal on motorways to see if it's better.

Seems to have more torque in ECO mode (placebo ??).

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CBers, Okay will do. Glad this is of interest.
Think you are right about gears inECO modewith more 'grunt'. It will continue to 'pull'without shifting so soon, so retains higher gear which in turn should in theory give better mpg. I'll be pleased to hearthe results on your evaluation in due course.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's not gonna be at all scientific, just anecdotal via brim-to-brim re-fills but sticking, as I said, to ECO around town and non-ECO on the motorways, when I remember

I'll see how it goes, but not doing many miles currently as WFH a lot

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I forgot to mentionin ealier post that I have also been monitoring the calibration of the Trip data v's the brim to brim fill use. The largest variation I have found is only 1.8mpg, (reading slightly higher on the Trip)therefore the onboard Trip doesnt seem to be too far adrift on my vehicle.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why are we all so paranoid about the mpg with our Captivas?
I've owned plenty of cars before but never have I given the mpg a second thought on any of them!

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jonnybgood, The point you make is quite valid. Neither did we when deciding on the Captiva. It was 'the entire package' of the looks, the equipment, headroom,the ride and performance etcfor the outlay.My annualmileage now isnt going to bust the bank on fuel, but I do respect there are those doing it tough to/fro their job,with youngsters and taxi'ing them around etc where the mpg is crucial to the household budget.
I dont think anyone buying a 4x4/SUV expects real life mpg in the 40+'s. The 'beef' that some contributors to this forum had was the misrepresentation of mpg in the manufacturers literature which has been exposed as common practice by all vehicle manufacters by the very nature of the way the test is conducted.

I am trying the tuning box partly because I am a technophobe with 'gizmos'. Any advertised saving on mpg was modest so that didnt sway me, but the 'crispness' of engine is a success and it doesnt seem to be at any detriment to the mpg. Anyone wanting 50mpg from a Captiva has bought the wrong vehicle!

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm not paranoid, it is what it is. Doesn't stop me from wishing it was a bit better though. I'd settle for 10%.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts