Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my thoughtson information gathered from the Internet on the use of tuning chip boxes. The engine settings have safety parameters for poor quality fuel and air quality etc. in third world countries,now Chevrolet wants to promote powerful economical engines so why don't they modify the engine settings on cars sold in this country at the pre-delivery check through the OBD port. The chip boxes basically intercept the cars ecu signal to the injectors and fool the engine, one way is by telling the engine the air temp is lower than it is so as to inject more diesels and thereforeget more power. So you can get more power but there are no free meals, additional power and torque has to be handled and that erodes clutch, engine and gearbox life, if you accept that, you have a more powerful car. Regarding improving mpg the sellers of these boxes just want one thing and that is you're money, if by telling you the mpg is improved as well as power it has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Were the boxes are fitted physicallycan only be fooling the injectors so regarding getting into the higher gears at lower revs is only possible on manual gearboxes the autos will stay unchanged. On the manual boxes you can go into the higher gears sooner because you have more torque, but the only reason you have more torque is that you are burning more fuel, so that balances out. Also if you drive steady to up you're economy you are not putting in as much diesel in so why bother with the box, if you use the box for the power you are using more fuel so down goes the MPG. If you are still blinded by the sales talk send them you're money, But also send me £5.00 I can make you live for ever, HONEST

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course and better looking, made £130.00 already. Going to start 12" ding dongs for a £10

·
Registered
997 Posts
Bargain!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Big Al,
The chip boxes that I looked at on the web seemed to be connected between the common rail pressure sensor and the ecu. So I am guessing that they just lower the output of the pressure sensor with the net result that the rail pressure will increase. Increased pressurewould give increased flow, hence more power for a given throttle setting.

Am I on the right path?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
basically by one means or another they fool the injectors into upping the fuel giving more power and torque, but as I say thismust put added pressure on the engine, clutch, gearbox and DPF. What I cannot see is how you can produce any more MPG. I know if I was to fit one of these with my right lead foot what would happen to my already bad fuel economy!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also another thing while towing my caravan if I was to continually use any extra torque to the full I would be looking for a new gearbox in a few years, but everybody has a choice. I think if I was not satisfied with the cars power I would have bought a 4x4 with a bigger engine which has the running gear to match.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I hope the manual box does not suffer in the same way - my first tow with the Cap will be next month for a trial few days. Then Scotland in May. I hope it tows well............

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car with the auto does tow very well, the stabiliser makes it even better but as I say even more torque would make it feel even more effortless but I think in time it will knack the box, so keep those safety parameters in place especially on an auto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts