Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forum. Ive just replaced the front tyres after 26,000 miles. Anyone had crazy tyres wear like this? They are 235/55/R18
Tyre pressures were checked every month.

Offside Front

Inside

Outside

·
Registered
997 Posts
From the look of my tyres- I have the same size, they appear to wear a bit more on the outside edges, although a tracking change seems to have calmed it down, it is still there. The wear pattern on yours does seem a bit odd, but 26k from a set of tyres is pretty good by today's standards.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Cant comment as yet. Have done 12k on my tires since I had the car, 27k on the clock now. But the previous owner must have changed tyres at some point, as I have different brands on front to rear.

I was wondering this when I bought it, as the previous owner must have changed either front or rear at 15k miles, which seems odd, unless he had a puncture or something...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the same on my first Captiva. It had 15k miles and Michelin fronts and Dunlop rears, one of the things that made me a bit suspiscious of it's history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have a LTZ version and just took it in for a 20k service. Both my fron tyres are scrubbed out on the inside like yours. The offside front is the worst. I was told by the garage that I was lucky to get 20k and most need new after 15k.

This seems wrong to me, what can we do about it.

Bob

·
Registered
214 Posts
looks like the tracking is out or the wheels camber in at the top too much. dont know if you can adjust the camber on your car .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Lucky you, just changed on my epica at 16000 miles, friend with lt bigger wheels changed twice, 12,500 and then 22000 still on same rears though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
the normal where on any Tyre is:-
nearside Tyre wear outside edge
offside Tyre wear inside edge
its all to do with driving around round abouts i asked this question to my Tyre fitter tonight when having tyres fitted to my car he also stated 15-18000 miles on a front Tyre is normal

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just changed the front two tyres. They were coming down to the tread wear markers. The fitter called me to have a look. I was horrified to see both inside edges were down to the fabric. The car has 24000 miles on the clock and I'm not sure if those tyres were the originals as I bought secondhand.
I've now booked it in for the tracking to be adjusted and will keep a close eye on things from now on.
The new tyres by the way are Kumho 798 Plus at £218, fitted by etyres.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Johnboy said:
The new tyres by the way are Kumho 798 Plus at £218, fitted by etyres.
Interesting - mine has these tyres fitted and when I tried to find out a bit about them I found they were popular in the USA as an 'all season' SUV tyre. Whether they're a 'winter tyre' as we would know them I'm not sure.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Had those Khumo's on my car (front) and original Dunlop on the back. Done 41k miles before I changed all 4 this weekend. Dont know how long the Khumos wher on, as I also bought my car 2nd hand with 15k on the clock. Which means original owner changed the front Dunlops before 15k, and I got 26k out of them. I didnt find them bad in the snow last year, evern with the wear they had.
However, unless that price if for more than 1 tyre, I think you have paid well over the odds. I was offered them at £100 each (told the retail was £115). I didnt go for them though as after checking the Khumo web site they score them very low for snow and state they are a summer tyre. http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/selector.php?tyre_id=4

But as I said, I didnt find any problem with them last year.

I decided to go for a AT tyre this time, at £112 each. General Grabber, as I posted on another thread http://www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk/forum/tyres-235-55-r18_topic569.html

I do hope that wasnt a price per single tyre, as that is more expensive than Contintal, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Michelin, etc... £200 is in the Premium tyre price bracket and Khumo are not premium.

Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
214 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
However, unless that price if for more than 1 tyre, I think you have paid well over the odds. I was offered them at £100 each (told the retail was £115). I didnt go for them though as after checking the Khumo web site they score them very low for snow and state they are a summer tyre. http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/selector.php?tyre_id=4
Even more interesting -theKumho 798 Plus I have are not the ones you had - mine are these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+798+Plus
as you can see the pictures are very different.

·
Registered
652 Posts
minghis, I stand corrected... These are all weather tyres...

I assume you have a 16 or 17 inch rim, as they dont do this tyre for my 18" rim (LTX model), which is size 235/55 R18, they only do 60 profiles...

But as I said, I found the Khumos good in the snow last year, even though Khumo says they are not (the profile tyre I had that is...).

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did a little research on the net when choosing these mid-range tyres and these got a 'not bad' type rating for snow. The description on etyres reads:

'Designed for new cars and light trucks these tyres provide a versatile
blend of ride quality, noise comfort, treadwear, handling and year-round
traction, even in light snow'.

We'll see how they go. Meanwhile the tracking has been adjusted.

·
Registered
214 Posts
By the way, the price was for 2 tyres in case I hadn't made that clear. I know I could have saved a few more pounds but I've used etyres many times. It's very convenient to have the tyres fitted in my driveway.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Johnboy said:
I did a little research on the net when choosing these mid-range tyres and these got a 'not bad' type rating for snow. The description on etyres reads:

'Designed for new cars and light trucks these tyres provide a versatile
blend of ride quality, noise comfort, treadwear, handling and year-round
traction, even in light snow'.

We'll see how they go. Meanwhile the tracking has been adjusted.
I had year round traction in extreme snow on my original fit Dunlops. What I didn't have was any brakes. Getting a 4x4 going on snow isn't very difficult, stopping 2.5 tonnes is a different matter. That's why I bought proper snow tyres as my wife's car with snow tyres on the front axle only was almost as good as my Captiva in getting moving, but far superior in stopping. Traction is grand, but don't make the maistake of thinking it makes them stop quicker- it doesn't!

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had almost identical tire wear on my Captiva. Even down to the string on the inside as well. Gave me a bit of a shock to see it so uneven.

Since in Finland we have to have winter/summer tires I rotate them front to back every year anyway, so I changed all 4 at once. Will see how this new set have gone when I change back to the snow tires in a week time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts