Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change all 4 tyres this weekend. Probably have another 2-3 months wear, but with winter and potential snow, thought I'd do it now.

I have 18" LTX alloys (235/55 R18) and due to the size finding it difficult to find good all season tyres. I have been given a good quote on General Grabber UHP. On one site they say no good for anything other than light snow, on others they say good all round tyre. The review sites aren't much good as if they haven't been used in snow they aren't rated, which in turn gives it a lower snow rating. However, I have found them listed as scoring a 2 for general tyre, ie low road noise, good handling, etc, with a 2.9 for snow out of a score 1-6 (where 1 is excellent and 6 is poor). Which implies they are a good tyre and average for snow.

Has anyone had any experience of them....

(Cant find the site which reviewed it now..... )

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
found it again....

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=81541455.110.13220&typ=D-105082&ranzahl=4&Breite=235&Herst=General&Quer=55&Felge=18&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=GAN

This marks it as all seasons, and if go to the test link it has good results.

But the The tirerack.com says not to use in the snow... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+UHP

Which do you believe....

...again, if anyone has these tyres would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Its an A/T tyre, which means it will probably have quite good traction- it's fairy chunky with an M+S style tread, but they are a summer style compound and will be too hard to be of much assistance in the braking department when it's snowy or even just cold (below 6 deg). Also, the tread blocks are too big to aid traction. I got my wiinter tyres- Marrangoni Meteos - from the same site (in 235/60/18) and if you look at thoise you'll see what I mean about the tread blocks.
That said, they're likely to be better than the standard Dunlops which are totally lethal when you try to stop in the snow and ice. Hence why my proper winter snow tyres are going on tomorrow.
Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Iain.

I have Khumo on the front at the moment, and they where ok last year in the snow, even thought the Khumo site rates them only 1* for snow.

As these are A/T as you say, I may give them a go. If they are no good, then I'll be getting 4 steel wheels and proper winter tyres as originally planned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking for a winter or off road set up and fancy a set of ATs. I have pimp style 20inch wheels which are a pain. What options do I have for replacement )2nd hand wheels)...someone told me 2009 on astra turbos and desiels have the same pcd? any suggestions

thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
Update on the snow tyre front- I fitted these last week, just as Scotland hit a mini heatwave- the temp hasn't been under 12 deg since. However, far from being a disaster, the tyres are really rather good, evern when it's technically too warm for them. The ride quality is much better than the standard 55 profiles too and the braking in the wet, though probably not better overall, feels more positive. Can't wait till it snows, and with what's happening in the US today, it may not be far away

Iain

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the weather bloke on BBC, looks like you have a bit of a wait for the snow Iain, as the Atlantic is apparantly warm. (Fancy a swim
)....

...but on the otherhand if the weather man says it is NOT going to snow any time soon, I would bet it probably will.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Having my winter tyres fitted at weekend, going to see if I can book a sesion on the dry ski slopat sheffield.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Of course, they're not just for snow- I saw my first minus temp of this winter over the weekend...

·
Registered
43 Posts
bigiainw said:
Update on the snow tyre front- I fitted these last week, just as Scotland hit a mini heatwave- the temp hasn't been under 12 deg since. However, far from being a disaster, the tyres are really rather good, evern when it's technically too warm for them. The ride quality is much better than the standard 55 profiles too and the braking in the wet, though probably not better overall, feels more positive. Can't wait till it snows, and with what's happening in the US today, it may not be far away

Iain
We were with friends on holiday and they live in New Hamsphire. They had 7" of snow, could have been worse because 1ft was predicted. They are so well geared up for it and the roads were cleared twice while we were there.

They have snow blowers but the snow was too wet to clear so it had to be done by hand.

Anyway, I have a set of 20" and a set of 18" for the OH Captiva so I have managed to pick up a pair of part worn Vresestein Extreme Winter tyres on ebay which I will put on the rears and buy a new pair for the front. Thought it makes sense really, esp as we live in a village which is at the bottom of two hills.

It will be a shame if it doesnt snow but as its the family bus it will be good to know it will be safer in the wet and low temperatures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts