Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had this problem. While driving the Orlando on the A1 last week at 70 mph the brakes were suddenly applied bringing the car to a sudden, juddering halt. This was extremely serious as I was in the fast lane at the time, meaning rapidly moving traffic behind had to take evasive action - fortunately we were not hit. On reporting this to my dealer, friends and parents I was simply laughed at 'You must have stamped on the brake', 'The engine cut out'etc. However, two days later when my dad was driving, the same thing happened while he was doing 15 mph. He now agreed there was a problem, and we gingerly drove to the dealer's and dumped the vehicle there. The mechanics crawled over the Orlando and quizzed the ecu, but no fault was found. Currently, the dealer is in conflab with Vauxhall and Chevvy. Although Chevvy say no other instance has been reported, I do know that some Mercs and VWs have had the problem - put down to faulty yaw response sensors in theESP / ASC (the system that independently applies the brakes when understeer is present, although my Orlando braked whilst going straight). It would be useful to hear if anyone else has had this problem with Orlando or Cruze.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a similar complaint but was unable to replicate the fault. Has your car got an electric handbrake as this will apply full braking if applied above approx 15mph? (the apply switch can get dirt in it and stick)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was beginning to think I was the only one to suffer this problem. I had the impression that all the brakes came on, but my dad thought it was just the back, as the rear went down and the front went up. The dealer thought it was elec handbrake, as they are known to stick on. It could have been the problem, but the h/brake checked out OK. Incidentally, I now have Ford CMax, and was surprised to find that the elec brake has been deleted and a conventional lever fitted - too many probs with the elec brake, the dealer said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend of mine says this happened to him but his car has a normal handbrake lever. He said once the car stopped he could not move it for about 1 hour as the brakes were locked. Does this sound anything like yours? If yours has an electric handbrake and it is applied at m/way speed the hydraulic brakes are applied to ALL brakes. At 10 - 15 mph ONLY the rear brakes are applied - from your description it sounds like this would you agree? Could you move the car normally after the lock up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts