Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi newb here,

I've decided upon a Captiva to replace my Citroen Grand Picasso
and was wondering if any of you helpful people have a list of things to look out for?

I'm kinda pushing myself financially for a 09 plate Captiva VCDi LT so I don't want to end up with a Lemon!

Thanks in advance

Mac

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not really... I think the Captiva is a good car.

Only thnk I would avoid, others may disagree, is the Automatic (esp Petrol), as its MPG is not as good as the manual. But most autos arent as economic as manual boxes.

There is an issue with rust forming on the tail gate around the corners of the chrome number plate light housing. This is a known fault and Chevy fix it under warranty (the once). I had mine fixed last year and pointed out at the dealers the same fault on nearly every Captiva there was on the forecourt (aged over 2 years). Problem is the rust is coming back through mine now, so in discusions with the dealer as it should not re-appear, especially in within 1 year.

The DPF (on diesels) can be a pain, but this seems to be the case on all new diesel cars.

I also had a wheel bearing go, but was within warranty, so listen out for any whirring from the front wheels.

Apart from that, really good cars and in my opinion, best SUV for the money.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ive heard of issues with the onboard computer so check that. Have a look at the tyres. They need regular (once a year or so) wheel alignment so check for uneven wear and factor this in when haggling.

Ours has been pretty spot on really. The rear washer jet doesnt work (its blocked) and we have had the parking sensors replaced, again worth checking both. I think an anti roll bar link went but with the roads the way they are and the car being heavy suspension is going to get a hammering.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Andrew, re your rear wash not working. Had this myself a few times in the past. Not a blockage, but the pipe comes loose. Now I havent fixed this, because both time happend to me it was still under warranty, but last time I asked, as I'm out of warranty now.

Apparantly there is a pipe connector in the rear quarter. You have to remove (drop) the rear inside roof lining and you can reconnect.

The dealer promised me last time they attached some small ties on it as well to stop it happening again, as it happend twice. Dont actually believe that, but benefit of the doubt, havent come loose again for over 12 months... Fingers crossed.

Its a common thing.... apparantly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thanks for the advice everyone, I bought the Captiva LT as planned. It has the Irmscher running boards and 20" alloys, its in black so its looks the business.

I love the look of the car but I'm not keen on the big gold badge, any of you found the best way of covering this up. Ideally I'd love to debadge it all together, but I think the emblem forms part of the grill..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've seen it covered with carbon fibre film, which would look the mutts nutts on a black one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good work, we have the 20" Alloys. Look great but the OH keeps kerbing them. Well worth getting the alignment checked. We learnt the hard way when we had to get two new 20" tyres due to inside edge wear.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Know what you mean about the gold Chevy cross. I'm not a badge snob (although I have had BMW, Jags in the past
), but the Chevy badge does look quite naff.... Saying that, my Captiva is gold (or officially Brown ...
), so it doesnt look that bad.

I have seen a silver (maybe chrome) one on a black captiva, and it looked good. Not sure if it was bought, or a DIY job. Check ebay...

The badge can be replaced without messing up the grill as when I bought mine they had to change it, as the one on mine was in a shocking state, lost colour and "bubling". Water had got into it. So I know they come off and can be replaced.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why has everyone got a downer on the old Chevy bowtie?
Its got astackload of history behind it and celebrates its100 yearanniversary next year, and its been going longer than both your Jaguar andBMW badges.

Surely that must count for something?!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hated the badge too when we first bought ours, but ended up liking it!!...after seeing the link for a new silver one I thought grest, however its too small for the captiva :-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I saw it was too small but thanks anyway. I believe that it can be removed easily enough so perhaps I just need to prepare it, sand it, prime it, paint it and seal it?

I agree its a naff logo/emblem and it looksout of place on a black Captiva. I'm no expert on design but in my opinion its too big and the wrong colour.

Mac

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I only just bought my Captiva 2 days ago, but the first thing I did was cover the gold logo.
I chose the non permanent option for consideration to later resale value.
I used sticky back vinyl which I got for free from my local sign makers.
It took around 20 minutes to complete both the front and back of the vehicle, just using a Stanely knife to trim around the vinyl.

I know this post comes a little late, but may be of use to others out there.
Neil.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yup, that works. particularly with a dark coloured car. It doesn't look so out of place with a lighter colour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, thanks for comment. I agree, making the logo in black on a lighter car would not work as well.The good thing about the badge is that there is a little hairline around it which makes for a good guide for the knife to follow.
My next decision is, do I do the wheels in black to match also. maybe later ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Regarding the "sticky back vinyl"that you used, will it not lift in the rain ??

Just wondering how a white badge will look on my white Captiva

Edited by: CBers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts