Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all on the Forum.
My wife and Iare trading in both our cars for a Captiva. The first one we saw and liked was sold while we were making up our mind. The dealer however found us another in a couple of days and now we are waiting for delivery of it.More when it arrives.

Once again Hi to all on the Forum

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,
An update on my first post.

Yesterday we took delivery of our Captiva. We have only driven about twenty miles as it was getting on for five o'clock by the time we left the dealers. We ("We" being my wife, my Father in Law and myself) had arrived at the appointed time to find the car wasn't ready. A fronttyre was being replaced. I had asked fortwo new tyres but was told that as there was a new tyre on the opposite side to the one being replaced only one would be needed. I asked the the tyre being replaced matchedthe oneon the opposite side "I want the same make and spec tyre both sides."When I saw the car I was surprised to see Dunlop tyres fitted on the offside back and front and Michelin tyres fitted on the nearside back and front. When I queried this the salesman said, "You asked for the same tyre to be fitted both sides."I found a hard place to bang my head against whilethe car went back into the workshop to have the tyres changed round so that one make was on the front axle and the other makeon the back axle. Throw in an argument about courtesy cars being charged for, my Father in Law had been told that it would cost him £20 a day for one that very morning, and the saleman and the dealers website claimed they were free. Once the tyres, the courtesy cars and the paper work was sorted we left to get the Road Tax just as the Post Office was closing but we managed it. Ok, dodgy start to Captiva ownership but once we got on the road amongst the rush hour traffic it was fantastic. I can't wait to get it out of the garage today for a play.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi All, I guess it's Hello, Goodbye. After a traumatic couple of weeks we have returned our Captiva LTX to the dealer and requested a full refund. In two weeks I have done around 400 miles, most of them being backwards and forwards to the dealer. Lots of problems damaged sump, tracking and tyre problems. The last straw came when the dealer started talking about replacing the rear axle becuase it look like it had suffered an impact of some sort. At the moment we do not want and exchange vehicle for fear of getting more of the samewe just want our money back. Its a shame because we really liked the Captiva. This was sold to us in this condition as a Network Q/Chevrolet Approved vehicle. Nice car really liked it. We are both fed upnow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tyres and wheels for Captiva are readily available on e-bay from around £200 a set (including alloys) as people that upgrade to "21" irmscher wheels at a dealer have brand new wheels and tyres to sell on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again,
I seems that it may not be Goodbye after all. After looking round and finding nothing about that could match the Captiva for price and equipment we decided to take Chevrolet's offer and have a like for like replacement. We had an 09 plate LTX with 15000 miles and now they are getting us an LTX on a 59 plate with 8500 miles. Hopefully this one will be better than the last.

We had spoken to the guy dealing with the finance/Gap insurance/Warranty side and he had told us that the first vehicle was an ex GM management vehicle that had been looked after because any damage caused came out of the drivers pocket. It turns out that the vehicle had been owned by Zodiac Rent-a-Car Limited, Bracknell. I shall be asking more questions with this next one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, Its now getting on for two weeeks since my last message and I am still waiting for my Captiva. I have been promised this week but it's Thursday already. I can't wait for it to come. I have had a brandnew Corsa loan car from the dealer since 24th of September which makes it three weeks today since the dealer took the first Captiva back. The Corsa is handy to have but it's such a struggle to get in and out of, and it's a manual gearbox as well, something that my cars haven't had over the last 20 or more years.
B

·
Registered
156 Posts
HI Brian, sounds like you have had some seriouse bad luck with this dealer thats for sure hope your Captiva turns up soon.

I bought a 59 Aveo LT auto and love it , was an ex Demo with 2777 on the clock had not problems as far and had it just over a week

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Steve, nice to hear from you, I hope you fare better than I did. I wish you many happy motoring miles.

Just come off the phone to the dealer, he informs me that my next Captiva should be in the showroom tomorrow. This is a 59 with around 8k or 9k on the clock. I suppose I could beat up the dealer and say that they shouldn't have put the first one up for sale, but, they have given me several choices. At one time I was taking my money back but after trying to find something to match the Captiva and finding nothing I decided to take the Chevrolet offer of a like for like vehicle. They have supplied me with a free of charge loan car for the last three weeksand have made several concessions regarding fuel and free fitting of side bars to the new vehicle. It doesnt make up for the agro but it sweetens it a bit. I just miss not having the Captiva. We only had it less than ten days and spent most of that time at the dealers but I really did like it and I have never seen my wife sitting so relaxed in any other car.
Brian.

·
Registered
156 Posts
wish you all the best when ya get it if its any help i used a local dealer called Bellingers http://www.bellinger.co.uk/ they will deliver to anywhere the Chevy guy is Lee woolford, if ya dont have any success with your dealer give him a go hes great and will find ya  decent Captiva without all the hassles 

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that Steve, I'll keep it in mind. I'll let this guy have his chance first and see how he does. Hopefully it will all work out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your welcome Brian lets hope it does work out i confess by now i would of wanted to kill them and sure as eggs are eggs told them to shove it , so i admire your persaverance

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have thought of breaking out the Molatov Cocktails on more than one occassion but this dealer is the only one round here and has a bit of a monopoly. The salesman at first was a typical salesman but things improved afterI sidestepped him and contacted Chevrolet Customer Service at, I think, Luton, and they contacted the dealers Sales Manager who promised to get all sorted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all, Latest update. This morning we went to the dealers to inspect their latest Captiva offering. Ten months old, LTX on a 59 plate with8730 miles on the clock. It comes with the satnav and reversing camera. The dealer put it up on the lift and we inspected it underneath as well as on top. We found a couple of minor scratches on the interior trim that you wouldn't look twice at but the dealer said he would get his trim people to look at them. Gave it a run round and came back over the Moon. The dealer is now going to valet it and fix my side bars and we should be picking it up around Thursday. Lets hope this one is ok.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all, here's the latest in the saga. We arranged to pick up theexchange Captiva this morning at 10:00hrs. We gave it a quick check over to see that all that we had requested done the previous weekhad been done. I had to get the service book filled in as they had done a service but not stamped the book. All satisfied we drove away from the dealer and while negotiating the first roundabout heard a knocking from the rear wheels. Not believing our ears we tried a few more roundabouts and heard nothing then on the next roundabout we heard the knocking again. so back to the dealer, it sounds strange but I had to laugh when I saw the look on their faces as I marched back into the showroom. Any way to cut a long story short they test drove it and took it into the work shop and came out fifteen minutes later and said it was a stone in the brake caliper. I thought ok if you say so, butit had sounded like a dry cv joint to me. We took the car again and so far we have heard nothing and all is ok. Lets hope it stays that way. It was really good to ditch the Corsa loan car that we had for a monthand climb back into the Captiva all I need now is a course on how to operate the sat nav. The dealer threw in a set of mats, a full tank of diesel andfitted my side bars free of charge. I'm chuffed as the upgrade with the sat nav and reversing camera gives me more toys to play with.
Brian

·
Registered
156 Posts
well thats good News Brian shame had to go back again for 15 mins though, lets just hope all well now and you get many years of driving pleasure in it.

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi all, Its three weeks now and I'm still evaluating our Captiva. Basically we love it although I still have some reservations. Perhaps it's me being too picky or over cautious. I have found that when on the moveI get a shudder or shimmy, it feels like the car isshaking from side to side, at around 12-15 mph during normal acceleration.This is the only time it happens and it goes as quick as it comes. Ithappens most times but not all.My other "whinge" is engine noise.This engine seems to be noisier than the other Captiva's engine that we returned to the dealer also it doesn't seem to have the same surge on quick acceleration although it does go quite well.
It's only done 9000 miles and it's been suggested that it's still settling in. I'm not so sure that I would say that myself. With all the trouble I had before I am a bit dubious about getting involved with the dealer again, asI say we have only had it three weeks nowand its only ten months oldso there is plenty of warranty left on it. I thought that i would give it a fair crack of the whip, a nice long run or two, and gather some more info before I go back to the dealer with any complaints.

Having said all that I think it's a great car.

Brian.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi BrianI hope it is just it settling down cause you sure have had some hassles, i have been lucky with my dealer he was honest and any problems i have had have been dealt with promptly and efficiently.

fingers crossed its ok

Steve

1 - 20 of 40 Posts