Chevrolet Owners Club banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Cricket,

Well we tried. Managed just five days before a Model Specific post (Captiva by Karloz) ends up being posted in 'Main Message Centre'.
I'm back to questioning whether we actually need this forum title at all because if you read the entries in this location more than 90% of posts are vehicle specific. Just a couple of Spam.
If this title/Caption is removed completely it will ensure the model specific posts will end up in the Model forums.
Not having Main Message Centre title will not adversely affect the functional use.

Maybe the posts in Main Message Centre can be 'moved' to their respective Forums prior to closing the caption completely.

Can you consider rethinking this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ed, if a new member inadvertently starts a thread in the Main Message Centre instead of the specific model forum wouldn't it be better if you just moved it to the relevant forum and leave a link in the original thread? I feel there is still a need to keep the Main Message Centre.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Victor,

What do you consider role of 'Main Message Centre' to be?
Its misuse for a long long while has shown that it only acts as a point of confusion because members dont read or understand the layout of the Forum and the title to many would seem to be the place to be (wrongly).

If you visit the Main Message Centre forum and review the 200+/- entries going back to April 2010 the bulk of them (185+/-) had a model specific requirement to the entry which should have been in the Forum for the Model in question. The odd 15 or so were spam or vendor type entries.
The proof of the pudding is in the reading and I'm sorry to say that replies & responses added to these incorrect posts simply compounds the error further.

If the question on a Cruze (for example) isnt in the Cruze Forum then it will not be traceable using the Advanced Search criteria under Cruze. A lot of other members (unlike you and I who scan read all posts) will often only read their model forum and thus incorrectly located posts dont get read by like model owners anyway so the OP shoots himself in the foot as far as getting targeted replies.

The Main Message Centre is simply an old legacy caption prior to the expansion of the model specific forums.
There is no justification in keeping an obsolete function and then say that someone can 'move' the posts. Let's have a tidy-up and get posts in the correct location from the outset.
It is not a difficult conclusion.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I'm fine thanks , hope you are also. Cricket still okay I hope?
I'm keeping my 'head down' due to the Corona virus situation.

Wife and I had a 'close call' with our next door neighbours (Mr & Mrs) both being admitted to hospital with covid and only the wife came home !! My neighbour of 36 years and same age as me had his life snuffed out just like that ! That is really frightening.
It is no longer a number on the evening TV news when it is right next door to you. We have been shaken by this.
Forum wise I've had to use the delete function on some Spam a couple of times.

Do you have any views on dropping (deleting) the Main Message Centre caption ref my post a month ago (#21)?

Cheers
Ed

21 - 26 of 26 Posts