Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking of changing our caravan in the near future. I would really like a twin axle, but I haven't a clue about kerb weights etc and was wondering what the max tow weight is? A lot of the caravans I have been looking at are very close to the captivas kerb weight. Does by adding weight to the captiva count towards what you can/can't tow?

What do you tow and what is it's weight?

I have a 2ltr 2007 manual 4x4
Edited by: j80mfs

·
Registered
997 Posts
I tow nothing- it's what hotels are for. If I wanted to poo in a bucket, I can do that in the comfort of my own home.
No Offense...

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
9 Posts
the towing weight of the captiva is 2000kg mpln

i tow a 26ft twin axle bailey limousin with a weight od 1800kg with no problem
and NO adding weight to the captiva wont help in pulling any extra

Edited by: andy23537

·
Registered
153 Posts
I tow a twin-axle Bailey Olympus 624. I do not feel the caravan on the back of the car, however my car has been re-mapped, and the CAT and DPF removed, it probably has in excess of 200bhp., and over 400Nm of torque PS. If you sleep in a hotel bed, you are sleeping in a second hand bed, who was in it before you? I am lucky enough to be able to afford a new caravan therefore I do not share my bed bugs with anyone!!!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Ah, but Evo, you still poo in a bucket. It might be a very nice bucket, but it's undeniable...
Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
153 Posts
Iain, yes but my posh bucket has electric flushing which is more than I have at home, at home I have to use all my effort to turn a lever! The effort I save in the caravan gives me the energy to wheel my posh bucket to an emptying point. Unfortunately I am not posh / rich enough to employ a butler to do this for me.

Evo.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Ah, now I had no idea that was possible. That might make it more livable, particularly if they bring fresh towels every day, hoover and dust the caravan, make the beds and do a beer and a burger at 4am!
Iain

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
andy23537 said:
the towing weight of the captiva is 2000kg mpln

i tow a 26ft twin axle bailey limousin with a weight od 1800kg with no problem
and NO adding weight to the captiva wont help in pulling any extra
This is exactly what I don't understand. The kerb weight of a captiva is 1820kg (auto trader) and the caravan club recommend a caravan with max of 80% your cars weight?

Caravans nowadays have cassette toilets making them easy to empty. Also I operate a no number two policy in my van!

·
Registered
997 Posts
[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I don't understand. The kerb weight of a captiva is 1820kg (auto trader) and the caravan club recommend a caravan with max of 80% your cars weight?

Caravans nowadays have cassette toilets making them easy to empty. Also I operate a no number two policy in my van!
[/QUOTE]
Cassettes in the toilet, next there will be recodrds in the bedroom and cd's in the kitchen- **** advanced these fancy caravans...

Iain

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi im a newbie but have been towing a 26 ft twin axle sprite quattro for 3 years with a 2ltr captiva ltx. 7 seater fully loaded and packed caravan, you wouldnt know it was there . tows with ease .

·
Registered
4 Posts
ment to say the tow weight goes on max gross which is 2500 kg tells you on plates on slam panel for front and rear axle weights . totals 2505 kg .you also have a max train weight of 4500 kg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts