Chevrolet Owners Club banner

541 - 560 of 573 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Hi Strad,

I'd be very interested in your feedback - as I've got these tyres in my sights. Our household has recently taken receipt of two Captivas and some of the tyres will need changing in due course.

Jonty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
watched the the ABS, Hill descent and traction control lights come on, Grrrrreat!
(least I've got 50 weeks of MOT before dumb as bricks UK MOT regulations requires these to be fixed). Guessing I've lost ability to toggle traction control while this error code exists.

Felt the microswitch (keyless entry) in both front doors stop being a microswitch (is now just a soft rubber small pad). (keyless entry now only works if pressing offside rear door)

Internal door lock button (central locking) stopped working (open button works).

Have to lock the doors using the lock button on fob - while sat in the car.

Had 3x local scrappers scoff down the phone at me when asking if they get any Captiva's in (my thought was of grabbing a couple of exterior front handles, see above).

Had the car 14 days, beginning to regret this.
It's beginning to feel like a shitty Nissan.

Then stood in rain looking at this heap of shite thinking "Car looks great though".

Seriously though joking aside (all in a day!) I'm guessing no aftermarket supply chain for parts from what I've searched around for? Has to be dealers and dealers usual horse crap?

Be great to hear from other Captiva owners about fixing these "Nissan-y" type problems.

(2013 Captiva LTZ facelift model with better looking exhausts)

·
Registered
33 Posts
replaced the cabin air filter. the glove box would open all the way, so I was thinking that a plastic thingy was missing, I am used to the Hyundai I30 glove box, there is a plastic thingy that stops the lid from opening all the way.
I was sure I read here somewhere how to take off the glove box, but could not find it. a quick search on youtube found a tutorial for a 2012 captiva, turned out to be a different model, but the principle is the same.
3 bolts on top, 3 bolts on the bottom. then just pull it towards you.
the glove box is out, 2 sets of wires are connected, one for the light and the other for the light switch.
very easy to disconnect.
found the reason why the lid will open all the way. broken stopper on the right side.

searched my bins for a bolt that could do the job.
found something.

tried to fit it back - too long, will not go back in.
shortened the bolt.

pops right in, but the lid will not open.
need to shorten it more.
the rain just came in for a visit, so had to take a forced coffee break.

now its good.

the cabin filter is right behind the glove box, one bolt and the cover comes off.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
DMX, Useful (and at times hilarious) post. Could be worthwhile reposting this in the Captiva Forum where users are possibly more likely to look for this helpful info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
DMX, Useful (and at times hilarious) post. Could be worthwhile reposting this in the Captiva Forum where users are possibly more likely to look for this helpful info.
done- new thread with topic description to match the content.
thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #546 (Edited)
Changed out the original AC Delco battery and replaced with a Exide EA640. Thanks to Aussie Ed’s tip many years ago on the service from Tayna Batteries :) They delivered next day even though I ordered 4pm in the afternoon on previous day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Went to change a headlight bulb and found out that the dust cover had fallen and is gone!

Can't be arsed to buy an original one got two generic from ebay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Went to change a headlight bulb and found out that the dust cover had fallen and is gone!

Can't be arsed to buy an original one got two generic from ebay.
gcmarcal - do you have the PN? I have a feeling that I will need some as well.
thanks

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #551
I thought you'd nip in and do a sly edit SM so I took a screen shot of what you posted originally
View attachment 1376
Easier to edit and thanks for noticing (y)though I give up sometimes when you type something in correct, and bloody iMac spell checker changes to a girls name after processing the posting.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
gcmarcal - do you have the PN? I have a feeling that I will need some as well.
thanks
I had two missing on the near side front lamp enclosure.
Main beam cover PN is: 20838703
Dipped beam cover PN is: 20838702

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
as we have here forced WFH and a bit of curfew, I took off the headlights to check what's hiding behind the plastic covers. the right one is dirty inside, found the cause of this - no rubber caps, need to order some, the left headlight have the caps.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #556
Passed MOT with no advisories yesterday. Though garage I go as a precaution checked my PAS pipes from the steering rack as they have seen a few Captiva’s with power steering fluid seepage from the crimps of pipe/hose to the steering rack. Something I will need to keep an eye on.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
S-M, Useful info. In 8 + years on the forum I think this is the first time I can recall this being a mention.
Possibly it is an 'age related' issue only now coming to light.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Good afternoon,

The sun was shining today so treated the girl to a home clean. I've only had Charlotte (yes, she has a name) 3 weeks and the silver body was grubbier than I thought. It was also a good opportunity to focus on the plastic trim which was looking rather dated and weathered.

Turtle Wax Wet 'n' Black Trim & Tyre Gel to the rescue. Even with just one treatment the trim has come up a treat, and the car looks new! Sadly, before, it looked dated which was a pity.

Tomorrow will see the wife's black Captiva pampered too, as long as it's not raining!

Stay safe.

Jonty.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Howdy,

Today I've fixed and improved our glove boxes. Both pin switches were sticky so some WD-40 came to the rescue, so both lights now illuminate when the glove box is opened - and every time. Have also replaced the bulbs with 36mm LED Festoon ones, so each box lights up superbly. I'm now just waiting for my other LED cabin bulbs to arrive :)

Jonty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replaced the rear pads for the MOT retest which might or might not be happening on Tuesday! Also decided to strip the bubbing chrome bootlid handle. Wish I'd never touched it now - it was a pain to strip but now flattened and painted. ?

541 - 560 of 573 Posts