Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a ""˜57' plate Captiva LTX with 38K miles.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I amassuming that my wheel bearing is on the road out. The whining noise has been getting louder for the past 6 months!!

I think it is time I replaced it!!

Has anybody on here done one themselves?

From what I can see it looks pretty straight forward.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Havent done it myself, but my bearing was replaced in dec/jan under warranty. Mine is a "57" plate LTX as well... I had done less than 30k when mine went.

Not very impressed at that wear n' tear stat....

Suggest you order one now, as I had to wait weeks for the Chevy dealer to get a wheel bearing in stock to do the job. My saga is posted on this site .... somewhere ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haha wheel bearings!

just got rid of my audi a4 58 plate. had 3 wheel bearing changes in the last 15 months! they seem to think the snow was the possible cause. settling at a high level and into the bearings.

seem to be hearing a lot of bearing stories though so maybe true

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doeas P me off a little !!

Considering my second car is a clapped out rover 75 (51 plate) with 170K milles on the clock, (130k which i put on), andI have not had to change its wheel bearings!!
The cheapest i can source a wheel bearing is £185.

Looks easy enough will keep you (s) updated on how i get on.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It looks from the manual as if the bearing is integral to part of the hub- it doesn't mention it being changed seperately, so I guess thta's why it's so pricey. If you want the instructions for the change, I can stick them in an word document and email them.
Iain

·
Registered
153 Posts
With regards to the low mileage for wheelbearing problems be the use of 18 inch and larger wheels? Perhaps the car was designed for smaller wheels and narrower tyres? PS I do know that my own cars runs on 18 LTZ wheels, however are these fitted in the UK and not in Korea?

·
Registered
652 Posts
evo, I wish that could be proved, because it would open Chevy UK up to a law suit if they didnt replace the bearing free of charge, as they would have changed the spec of a part outside of the tolerances of another....

Ian. Posting the info would be good... It may be worth setting another DIY thread going, where info like this can be posted and got to quickly for anyone who does their own repairs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Jeeeesus! Maybe I'll drive ours like a madman and make sure everything wears out within the three year warranty period that we have, then after that drive carefully....?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delayed response!!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Just done the wheel Bering myself.

NOT the easy job I had predicted!

Sourced the part from:

www.123spareparts.co.uk

£165 delivered.

The bearing comes as part of the hub assembly, its held in plane with 3 bolts.

Procedure (front drivers side):

1. Jack car up

2. Remove wheel

3. Remove brake caliper and secure, care full not to damage the brake cable.

4. Remove brake disc

5. Remove x3 bolts holdingbearing/hub assembly. These are quite awkward to get to, youhave to turn the steeringfull lock remove 1 then full lock the other way.

6. Now the fun part the bearing in theory should chap out, NOT SO 1 hour with a heavy hammer and still it would not budge!!!

Eventually I got the beast off by ""˜attacking it' with the afore mentioned heavy hammer and a (x2) cold chisel's. My arm are still sore.

7. Once off the new one slotted in and the above procedure reversed.

Car fixed ""“ No more noisy wheel bearing!!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, did mine today, 08 plate 32,000 miles, not impresed FSH but dealer not intrested, so will use independat next time.
Part £165 as above, I used a 3 leged puller and it came off easily bigest chalanges where the need of a 36mm socket to get the hub nut off and 18mm socket for the break caliper, only had 17&19 so trip to Halfords! The top bolt is a pig to get at and you need to jack up suspension.I needed Torc set to put new part on as came with those bolts and did not want to re use the originals.

Took me 3 -4 hrs, but would be quicker next time. Also did brake pads at same time, probably saved about £300.

If you have a go, good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts