Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Chevrolet Oralndo Diesel Auto LTZ 2011 near wembley/harrow area. All was fine till yesterday night, suddenly today morning when i tried to start the car, nothing
All the lights and dashboard seems normal. No warning lights.
Got the guy to check the battery, its fine, has enough juice and is only 6 months old. So can rule the battery out.

The car was fully Serviced and MOT'ed one month ago as well.

When trying to start, no clicking noise either.

The battery guy told me it could be quiet a few different things, but not very easy without getting it in to a garage. (Ironically my Breakdown cover ran out 2 days ago crying:)

He mentioned it could be Starter Relay Fuse. Any ideas where exactly to find this, is it easy to locate and replace ?

If its cheap enough and available on euro car parts, then i might order one, if i know which one exactly to order ?

Any other ideas or suggesstions ?

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Look up location of fuses in your owners Handbook and check them first.

If you havent got hand book I posted a link in the General Forum for owners to download.
https://www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=2959

Check the battery terminal connections are tight and no corrosion. If you have access to an OBD2 code reader extract codes and repost them here.There is no point whatsoever in starting to purchase parts on guesswork before you have Trouble codes.

You can also use the Forum Index Search function for finding previous discussions. Tools>Advance Search> (topic)> Orlando. (You can also try Captiva forum to see if anything there matches your symptoms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Aussie Ed

Update :

I tried to open the Fusebox next to the battery terminal. And pressed all the fuses firmly, just in case. Once i did this, the car started immediately without any problems.

Driving now since 2 days over the weekend without any issues.

Not sure, if this means there is no other underlying problem, just a loose fuse. ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Lulla, Good to have your feed-back. Sometimes we are never told of the solution but it does help.

Although you have 'resolved' the starting issue, as it involved pressing down on fuses it may be prudent to double check that there is no corrosion. Removing the fuses one by one and clean all the contacts would be wise.

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Lulla, Good to have your feed-back. Sometimes we are never told of the solution but it does help.

Although you have 'resolved' the starting issue, as it involved pressing down on fuses it may be prudent to double check that there is no corrosion. Removing the fuses one by one and clean all the contacts would be wise.

Just a late after thought. Might be worth double checking the earthing connections for the fuse box.
The action of pressing down on fuses may well have had an effect of 'remaking' a loose or corroded earth point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Aussie Ed : Were will i find the earthing connection in my orlando, (any youtube pointer videos will help) ?

Also further update.

In this week twice it has happened that the car will "Play Dead"(i.e. all lights on dashboard are fine, except when i try to start the car then a single click or nothing) first thing in the morning.
This time the resolution was(by random trial)
Press the break, switch the car gear from "D" to "N", tried to start the car and that seem to fixed the problem, (it started immediately). Also once this is done, it will behave normally all day long, and it will start normally in "P" all day long

Note : I did not have to open the fuse box cover at all on both occasions.

I am really confused. What do i do now to permanently fix this.
I have attached 2 screenshot (1 of the fuse box and the other of the fuse box inside cover, telling me which fuse does what). Is it worth changing any of them , I have highlighted a few, unless based on my above explanation, its something else.

Also i mostly don't use the car during weekday, but my wife drives locally for kids classes, so am worried if she faces this problem, she will not have a clue.
Desparate to get this fixed properly. My past experiance with the garages nearby have not been good, especially with unexplained problems or intermitent issues.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Thanks Aussie Ed : Were will i find the earthing connection in my orlando, (any youtube pointer videos will help) ?

In this week twice it has happened that the car will "Play Dead"(i.e. all lights on dashboard are fine, except when i try to start the car then a single click or nothing) first thing in the morning.
This time the resolution was(by random trial)
Press the break [brake], switch the car gear from "D" to "N", tried to start the car and that seem to fixed the problem, (it started immediately). Also once this is done, it will behave normally all day long, and it will start normally in "P" all day long

lulla,
I dont have an Orlando so dont know the specific earthing points but these are usually visually identifiable by a cable being bolted to a chassis point.
Having read your explanation on starting am I misunderstanding that you are are sometimes trying to start other than in 'P' or 'N'. 'D' should not be a cranking position. Only 'P' or 'N' with foot brake applied.
A click or clunk can sometimes be the starter motor not engaging. My thoughts come back again to checking the cable nuts/bots on the starter motor earth strap and terminals on the starter motor.

If need be take the vehicle to a dedicated auto-electrician.

Helpful tip: This topic is about to run into continuation pages. Any new reader will not know what specific vehicle we are discussing. It would be helpful if you put your full vehicle details into your 'Footer' (like mine below my posts). If you go to 'Tools'>'QuickLinks'>'Edit Signature you can add the vehicle info and it will automatically appear under your posts without you needing to add it every time you post and all readers will be able to identify.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry apologies, meant to say "P" not "D", my mistake. but yes today morning i did not cranck in "P" but did in "N", and after that it was fine with cranking in P.
Seems to have happened twice this week, but both time morning 1st thing.
I am going out now again shortly , so will update again, its 4:30 pm now, so car is parked now for nearly 5 hours.
Do you think any of those relays in the pic need changing. I looked at swapping the starter one "8385 relay in my previous post"

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Okay, correction understood.
My bet is on a poor earth somewhere.
Personally I wouldnt change relay(s) until checked earthing points which is where I would concentrate first.
If you do decide to change relay make sure it matches code for code. Preferably disconnect earth terminal on battery first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, it happened again, won't crank on P or N, so this time I opened the fuse box, took out relay that says 8385 in my previous attachment in yellow, cleaned it with tissue and put it firmly back, and it cranked and started straight away.

This : New OEM GM 4-Pin Relay 13500114 High Power 4 Terminal Multi-Use Relay 8385

Also earlier this week, I kept occasionally hearing a gentle click while the car was idelling but nothing loud, I noticed because my wife heard it. Could be unrelated but worth a mention here

https://www.amazon.com/GM-4-Pin-13500114-Terminal-Multi-Use/dp/B00MEJ6LXA

Found one on Amazon US website. Doesn't seem to be available on amazon UK, also tried eurocarparts, can't seem to find it, may be its called something different.

Hope it's this or earthing as u mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Aussie Ed : I ordered and received this from ebay, but since l ordered this part, it has never happened again, it is now 15 days without any issue whatsoever, so I am just keep this ebay part as a spare inside the car in case its required at some point in future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final Update.

Finally one fine day the car won't crank at all. Called the break down people, after spending a lot of time trying to start, the guy finally took a hammer and went down below the car and tap it firmly a few times on the starter motor, while i tried to crank it and it started.
So it was after all the dying STARTER MOTOR.
bought a new one from euro car parts and finally the issue is resolved.

Many thanks to all here for helping out.

HTH someone else in same situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts

If you havent got hand book I posted a link in the General Forum for owners to download.
Search threads

Check the battery terminal connections are tight and no corrosion. If you have access to an OBD2 code reader extract codes and repost them here.There is no point whatsoever in starting to purchase parts on guesswork before you have Trouble codes.

You can also use the Forum Index Search function for finding previous discussions. Tools>Advance Search> (topic)> Orlando. (You can also try Captiva forum to see if anything there matches your symptoms.

Search threads

Hi

I have a Chevrolet Oralndo Diesel Auto LTZ 2011 near wembley/harrow area. All was fine till yesterday night, suddenly today morning when i tried to start the car, nothing
Got the guy to check the battery, its fine, has enough juice and is only 6 months old. So can rule the battery out.

The battery guy told me it could be quiet a few different things, but not very easy without getting it in to a garage. (Ironically my Breakdown cover ran out 2 days ago crying:)

He mentioned it could be Starter Relay Fuse. Any ideas where exactly to find this, is it easy to locate and replace ?

If its cheap enough and available on euro car parts, then i might order one, if i know which one exactly to order ?

Search threads

Hi

I have a Chevrolet Oralndo Diesel Auto LTZ 2011 in Coventry. All was fine till previous night, suddenly one morning when i tried to start the car, it cranks but engine won’t fire. No warning lights.
Got AA guy, he did the following:
1) battery checked - fine. Connected his booster and tried again. It’s same
2) Tapped on fuel pump with hammer and asked me to start the engine - is same
3) ran diagnostics with his tool - didn’t shows any obvious faults but shows less fuel pressure obviously due to not completing the firing cycle
4) he checked fuses / relays all good
5) it was a Saturday hence couldn’t take it any garage, he came back on last Monday and dropped it in a garage after speaking to garage and they confirmed that they can fix it

garage is too busy and only looked at it only last Friday evening after 5 days.

they looked at, timing, timing chain, cam position etc (I don’t understand much), after several calls they came back to me to say, they spent 2-3 hours on it but couldn’t get to the bottom of the issue as timing seems alright and don’t know what to do

This is very shocking despite of car sitting in the garage for almost 10 days and Easter holidays without a car now schools reopened and without a car is very difficult.

Any other ideas or suggestions please?

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Complain bitterly to your Garage about the delay in service.
I find it hard to believe that a vehicle which will crank but not fire up, hasnt got some Diagnostic code(s) recorded. Is your Garage using diagnostic equipment capable of reading all GM codes? Without codes it is virtually impossible to start narrowing this down. If the garage has the vehicle in front of them and are struggling, the chances of Forum Members being able to diagnose the problem remotely is virtually impossible on such scant information.
One quick question... had you refilled with fuel the evening prior to the morning when it wouldnt start. Is there the possibility you put petrol in the tank instead of diesel ??
If you still have your receipt check that as to what was dispensed.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi
I have a Chevrolet Oralndo Diesel Auto LTZ 2011 in Coventry. All was fine till previous night, suddenly one morning when i tried to start the car, it cranks but engine won’t fire. No warning lights.
3) ran diagnostics with his tool - didn’t shows any obvious faults but shows less fuel pressure obviously due to not completing the firing cycle
5) it was a Saturday hence couldn’t take it any garage, he came back on last Monday and dropped it in a garage after speaking to garage and they confirmed that they can fix it
The fuel pump is buried inside the fuel tank so how did he manage to tap it with a hammer?

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
The fuel pump is buried inside the fuel tank so how did he manage to tap it with a hammer?
Victor I thought the very same thing but didnt say so in my post above. #5
I think the AA man knocking with a hammer is a bit like the coffee advert a while ago on UK TV. Make lots of hissing and percolator noises with your mouth in the kitchen while putting a spoonful of instant coffee in the cup ! (to our non UK Forum members I apologise that you may not understand the 'funny side' to this joke).
Surya admits he is not 'technical' as far as vehicles are concerned and I think his garage needs to undertake a 'deep scan' capable of diagnosing GM Codes.
Without more detailed information there is little we can do to offer advice.
From recollection Sarya was 'taken for a ride' when he purchased this vehicle in the first place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi

Hi

garage is too busy and only looked at it only last Friday evening after 5 days.

they looked at, timing, timing chain, cam position etc (I don’t understand much), after several calls they came back to me to say, they spent 2-3 hours on it but couldn’t get to the bottom of the issue as timing seems alright and don’t know what to do

This is very shocking despite of car sitting in the garage for almost 10 days and Easter holidays without a car now schools reopened and without a car is very difficult.

Any other ideas or suggestions please?
Yes, indeed it’s fascinating how disorganised these workshops are!!!
Definitely there is no cross contamination of fuel and not filled the previous night either.
I am going to visit this garage and will pass on any hints I may receive through this forum as the garage guy also have mentioned that he will contact few other mechanics.

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Surya, There is virtually no point in Forum Members attempting a guessing game with 'Hints'.
All we can deduce so far from what you've told us is that there is (theoretically) no problem with the 'electrics' , or the 'starter' , or the 'fuel'.
There are three major segments to the function of your vehicle; fuel, air & electrics. Modern vehicles are full of sensors checking virtually every function.
To make headway your mechanic, or someone else suitably qualified, needs to use diagnostic equipment that is capable of reading ALL GM diagnostic codes.
Both we and your Mechanic needs to know diagnostic codes to be able to attempt any suggestions as to where to start looking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts