Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Chevrolet Spark+ 1.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I was wondering where I am able to purchase fuel filters for a 2011 Spark+.
My engine is running a little lumpy when idle and my engine management light keeps coming on with the error “cylinder 4 misfire”.

After a little google I’ve read that changing the fuel filters might help. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am clueless when it comes to cars. I just really need this car to last me another 2 years at least 😅. Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
7,219 Posts
Majestic, Lets go back a bit before attempting to answer your question.
What makes you think that a new fuel filter will solve the problem? Fuel from the same filter is supplied to ALL cylinders so why does cylinder 4 have problems when cylinders 1,2,& 3 apparently dont?
If just cylinder four is misfiring doesnt that possibly point to the spark plug or the lead to cylinder 4 ?? Just need to apply a bit of logic here .

Next question is when did you last have the vehicle serviced and the spark plugs cleaned/reset or replaced?

As to where to purchase vehicle parts ....... you've told us you know how to use Google ........ there's your answer!
Typically I found the following link :- https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/fuel-filter-10361/chevrolet/spark/spark-m400/135926-1-2
But ! .......... before assuming that is the part you want, I've had to guess which engine variant you have in your Spark because you havent told us !
Were you thinking of changing this yourself? If so be aware that there may be fuel line clips which often break when dismantled so make sure you have replacement clips if you plan to do this. (The Forum Search function has discussions on fuel line clips).

Finally, you didnt complete your Sign-Up as to where in the World you are (the Forum system believes you to be in UK?) and we know nothing about your vehicle variant ie M300, M400, engine size etc - this is important so as to obtain correct parts.
As a new member you'll find the following link useful:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

As you've admitted you are 'clueless', I'm going to suggest that you take your vehicle to a suitable Automotive mechanic and have it serviced.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Majestic, read my post in the Aveo section regarding my poor Aveo with a Nr3 cylinder misfire. Your may well have the same (or very similar) 1.0 or 1.2 engine.

With problems like this, you start with the simple, and move on to the more complex. Bad fuel will give you a misfire on ALL cylinders, but, might, just might, show up on one of them due to other factors.

Plugs are one possibility, a bad one will be a different colour to the others due to the misfire. Swap them over and the misfire will "move" if that is the problem. Leads are another possibility, you measure the resistances of the leads to see if one is bad. Again, swapping them over will "move" the problem to another cylinder. On these S-Tec 11 engines, the coil pack has 2 coils, one for cylinder 1 and 3, the other for 2 and 4, again, a simple resistance check will show up a bad one, but a failure will affect 2 cylinders, not just one.

Final stage is to check for lack of compression in the cylinder by doing a compression test. A dry compression test will smoke out a stuck valve, and a "wet" test (one with a small amount of oil put in the cylinder) will show up a piston ring/bore problem.

You will see that my engine had an exhaust valve stuck slightly open, I never found the REASON for this, but did (with a little help from a friend) conclude the CAUSE of the problem. All of the exhaust valves had a fair degree of carbonation on the stems, and the valve springs on these engines are very soft/weak (you can push the valves open with a finger when the camshafts are removed, the softest valve springs I have ever come across). We concluded that the springs were not strong enough to close the valve properly with a contaminated stem.

So....it could be simple, or it could be complex. If you are indeed "clueless", then you need to find a mechanic who can properly work his/her way through finding out what it is.

Reactions: MajesticMidna

·
Registered
2011 Chevrolet Spark+ 1.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Majestic, read my post in the Aveo section regarding my poor Aveo with a Nr3 cylinder misfire. Your may well have the same (or very similar) 1.0 or 1.2 engine.

With problems like this, you start with the simple, and move on to the more complex. Bad fuel will give you a misfire on ALL cylinders, but, might, just might, show up on one of them due to other factors.

Plugs are one possibility, a bad one will be a different colour to the others due to the misfire. Swap them over and the misfire will "move" if that is the problem. Leads are another possibility, you measure the resistances of the leads to see if one is bad. Again, swapping them over will "move" the problem to another cylinder. On these S-Tec 11 engines, the coil pack has 2 coils, one for cylinder 1 and 3, the other for 2 and 4, again, a simple resistance check will show up a bad one, but a failure will affect 2 cylinders, not just one.

Final stage is to check for lack of compression in the cylinder by doing a compression test. A dry compression test will smoke out a stuck valve, and a "wet" test (one with a small amount of oil put in the cylinder) will show up a piston ring/bore problem.

You will see that my engine had an exhaust valve stuck slightly open, I never found the REASON for this, but did (with a little help from a friend) conclude the CAUSE of the problem. All of the exhaust valves had a fair degree of carbonation on the stems, and the valve springs on these engines are very soft/weak (you can push the valves open with a finger when the camshafts are removed, the softest valve springs I have ever come across). We concluded that the springs were not strong enough to close the valve properly with a contaminated stem.

So....it could be simple, or it could be complex. If you are indeed "clueless", then you need to find a mechanic who can properly work his/her way through finding out what it is.
Thank you for your reply. I’ll check out your post as I have a 1.0 engine.

I really appreciate all the advice you have given! Very informative :).

I feel like this is way out of my comfort zone and will definitely be seeking out a reliable mechanic to help me figure out what’s going and if it’s even worth the money to fix.

Thank you again :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts