Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chevrolet Matiz M2 0.8 2009
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Can anyone tell me where the ECU is located on a 2009 Matiz M2 0.8? Hopefully add a photo too, so i could properly identify it? My Matiz is in a won't start state, with a P1629 code, from a recent local mobile mechanic diagnostic and both keys have been tested as ok by Kent Locks as for some reason the immobiliser had activated and is preventing the Matiz from starting up!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Rob. The ECU is located in the engine compartment and secured to the upper dash panel on the left hand side of the vehicle.
The DTC, P1629 points to a misread or corrupted vehicle key code being passed to the ECU. As a result the ECU is preventing fuel injector operation. The key code is read by the immobiliser unit located within the steering column shroud. This unit has wiring that is fuse protected. In your position I would rule out a failed or poorly connected fuse affecting immobiliser functioning. A problem with immobiliser operation will illuminate the dash LED. How is this LED operating with this no start condition?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jasta!
Many thanks for your helpful reply. I must admit that I am more familiar with Hyundai i20 ECUs as those are mounted behind the battery and stand out! I had a better look at the Matiz and following your advice, I found the ECU! I really don't know how I missed that one! The P1629 code covers a range of possible faults and advice given to me by the mobile mechanic, Kent Locks and Robins and Day, who used to look after Chevrolet customers until 2017, is to get the ECU reprogrammed. The keys were tested to be in good working order by Kent Locks. As for the teeny weeny red LED light, it is off before starting. Once key is turned to start engine, it comes on solidly lit until key is turned off.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Rob it looks like you have everything in hand to resolve the problem. It is interesting that the immobiliser LED is on solid. This and the DTC suggests some sort of difficulty has arisen reading data from your keys' transponder chips. When matters are sorted let us know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jasta,

Your reply of June 25th 2022 was helpful re understanding what faults could arise. The problem with my Matiz is that the immobiliser got activated somehow, of which I do not have a clue or know how it happened at all, as I think it should not have happened at all! Advice I got from mechanics is that the keys are both ok and are not the problem at all. The ECU requires reprogramming in order to fix the problem. However, no one is able to/will reprogram the Chevrolet ECU. I was given the run around by a certain company in Nottingham, which was not good. I have decided to put the Matiz on the Marketplace, as a project for anyone who would be able to fix it or for spares, as it has had a number of parts replaced.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Rob It looks like you have received poor service regarding repairs and I understand why you wish to dispose of your Matiz. Thanks for coming back and letting us know the outcome of this upset. Let's hope the new owner can sort the issue.
Regards
jasta

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aussie Ed!

Seems I missed your message regarding reprogramming the ECU. I tried one company in Nottingham who simply just gave me the run around in asking me to remove and photograph the serial number on the ECU and then did not have the courtesy to do a reply on getting the email and photo of the ECU. I have since decided to call it a day and put the Matiz up for sale for anyone who might be interested?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts