Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have just had a headlamp bulb pack in, ( the dipped one ), so i need to replace it, i think i will buy a new set of very bright white ones,
any one got any reccomendations?

and more importantly, how exactly do i get my bulb out of the headlamp...

thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Tell us which vehicle you have and someone might help.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well........ i thought a big clue was that i posted the question in the captiva section!!!...
but for those who cant work it out...

its a chevrolet captiva LT in thunder grey, and its rear ashtray is nearly full!!! ( with kids rubbish )

·
Registered
652 Posts
tut tut intimidator, sarcasm will get you no where...
I assume by the statement... "i think i will buy a new set of very bright white ones" you are considering the HID Xenon lights. If you are, you should note, you cannot just replace the bulbs with Xenon bulbs, but must fit the correct assembly.

Someone did this a while back and posted how to do it, think it was either Al or Iain... I'm sure they will post a link to their previous posts if it was them.. Failing that, search the Captiva forum for HID, sure you'll find it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Mr Richards

i thanked you anyway..

and i apologise for my sarcasm... its just that i am gifted in that catagory!!!!

i will have a look and see what i decide.

·
Registered
652 Posts
intimidator said:
and more importantly, how exactly do i get my bulb out of the headlamp...
So Sorry intimidator, I obviously didn't read your opening post carefully enough, as I missed you ask "how to do it"....

Replacing the bulb, isn't difficult, just laborious...

As per the diagram you posted, you need to first remove the plastic "radiator" cover to access the bolts on the light lens. Advise, when removing these bolts (3 of them - on the light lens) watch you don't drop them. That can be fun trying to retrieve them. When you have done that, you simply, but firmly pull the light lens out and it should pop off a pop fastener. You unscrew the back plastic plate and remove the spring clips to remove the bulb. Remove it from the spade connectors and fit the new.

Takes about 10-15 mins...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i decided on some new bulbs... ring super dooper over shine bulbs!!

so i have fitted one on one side, and will have a look tonight ( when its dark ) and see if the new bulb is better than the original!!

whilst fitting thou, the screw type fittings caused a little bit of a problem, as they wouldnt undo, so i had to leave a couple in, and undo the headlight unit by bending the radiator top cover!!

any ideas how these screw things come out, if they wont unscrew out!!

thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Try getting something thinunder the head of the screw force upwards and then try to screw out. Failing that drill the head of the screw off and when cover removed twist out with pliers while pulling up, I ended doing that and got new similar replacement screws from car accessory shop.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Big Al, beat me to it...
I had to do the same and place a thin flat bladed screwdriver under the plastic cap apply a little up force then the thread catched so you can unscrew. Not fool proof though, as some had to be prised out, but I had enough to refit on a miss every one basis, which is enough to secure the cover.

Havent got round to buying new push rivets (thats what they are called) yet. Cheap enough on eBay.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had the pleasure and very nearly left the cover off. I have a tool that we used in the burnaston factory, back in the day
but when its needed you can't place your hand on it?

I got soooooo close to leaving the cover off, but I made sure I changed the pair of bulbs while it was off. I must admit its a bit strange to remove the whole lamp to change a bulb. But as long as it doesn't loose its position?

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you can get the correct measurements you can do it up against a wall with the car level in the dark [set the beam that is] or simpler take it in and let them do it on a beam setter, mot stations have them.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Intimidator- If you work out how to adjust the lamps, can you post it? I have looked at the thing many times, spoken to someone at the dealer and stiill no-one can tell me how to adjust them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well as far as i can see, there are three nuts to pull the unit upwards, and one to pull it downwards, so if i aim somewhere in the middle, they might be ok!!!...

i will change the other bulb soon, because i have a new shiny white dipped light, and an old yellowy one on the opposite side!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ian and Intimidatorto adjust the headlights iseasy, open bonnet no covers to remove look to rear of head light unit on metal cross-member there is a hole between the rubberadjustable bonnet stop and the inner headlight fixing using a small torch look down you will sea about two teeth from a toothed wheel using a medium flat blade screw driver place between the teeth and the edge of the surrounding metal and do a slight twist this willflick one tooth at a time the adjuster, that wheel adjusts the up and down, anti-clockwise for up clockwise for down,[can only describe this as adjusting the play out of the old drum brakes going through a hole in the back of the drum].That's the up and down the left andright adjuster is the same butdown a half moon shaped hole in the small plastic cover just behind the light unit closer to the wing of the car, its turn the screwdriver to the left for left and to the right for right, hoped that helped. To set the beam quickrule of thumb on level ground drive up to a wall or garage door on the dip there should be a tiny circle on the glass showing beam center with a level transpose the dot on to the wall and mark using tape makea cross, back off 25' andcover one light [best done at dusk] and using the adjusters bring the top cut off down just below level on the crosses [should be a 0.5 degree angle down] Then using left to right adjuster on thenearside lightset the up flare starting point to the vertical line of the cross, next set the offside lightwith the flare starting point justto theleft side of the vertical of the cross.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Cheers big Al, had tired numerous tools, but never a flat screwdriver. Guess what I'm doing tonight!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts