Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Captiva that prior to the bad weather the front jet washs were working, I can here the pump under the bonnet but no water comes out from any of the four front nozzels.

The back jet wash works fine.

any ideas would be greatly received

thanks

Gaz

·
Registered
652 Posts
Under the bonnet, on the right, follow the 2 rubber pipes. There is a join between them. Check it hasnt worked loose here. I believe that is the only join in the FRONT washers.

If they are connected, might be work disconnecting and use wash to make sure water is coming out (where you seperate under the bonnet). If not, then sounds like the pipe has come free at the bottle.

If water comes out, then using a pin, check no blockage in the nozzles. They can get blocked, especially if you have used "washing up liquid", as this turns "gunky".

Unfortunatlty the rear washer has more joins, and if you are unlucky, like I was. A joint works loose and it is under the interior roof lining. Luckly mine it being fixed under warranty, especially as it caused water damage on the internal mirror (auto dipping mirror).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My front washers work wellwith the bonnet up and resting down, but when I push the bonnet shut they are reduced to a trickle. Checked pipe runs for pinching on closure but no evidence.
?Ideas

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Gaz I had the same problem last week,it made the same noise as normal but no water,the fuse had blown,check in the footwell it's the fuse nearest the clutch side.

·
Registered
227 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
Under the bonnet, on the right, follow the 2 rubber pipes. There is a join between them. Check it hasnt worked loose here. I believe that is the only join in the FRONT washers.

If they are connected, might be work disconnecting and use wash to make sure water is coming out (where you seperate under the bonnet). If not, then sounds like the pipe has come free at the bottle.

If water comes out, then using a pin, check no blockage in the nozzles. They can get blocked, especially if you have used "washing up liquid", as this turns "gunky".

Unfortunatlty the rear washer has more joins, and if you are unlucky, like I was. A joint works loose and it is under the interior roof lining. Luckly mine it being fixed under warranty, especially as it caused water damage on the internal mirror (auto dipping mirror).

Sorry for late reply KLR but on my motor the pipe with the join in it on top of the wheel arch is the rear wash. It is the point where you put a non return valve to stop the initial few wipes on rear wash/wipe being dry

·
Registered
652 Posts
Agreed jegrugby, one pipe is for the rear the other the front washers. I didnt make myself clear in my explanation.

I would love to fit a non return valve in to stop the water running back, as it can take ages to get it through the pipe to the rear. Have you done this, and is so, what valve did you fit, where did you get it from ?

Thanks...

·
Registered
227 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
...found one on eBay.. Should have checked really before asking.... Thanks.
Hi KLR
I used a Halfords NRV and about an inch of washer tubing. This enables the original connector to be left in place - very easy to revert to standard if necessary.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well got round to fitting the non return valve for the rear washer.....

Makes no difference at all.... Suppose it could be a faulty valve. Will replace it and see if that works.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi KLR,
When I fitted my valve I blew through it to check which was the correct way round to fit it - only to find that I could blow neither way! Gentle prodding with a blunt prodder found which way the valve worked and I could then blow through one way and not the other. I assume the valves are a bit sticky for a start.

Hope that helps

JegRugby

·
Registered
652 Posts
Got an arrow on mine showing flow direction....

I suspect it is jamming open or simply broke, or the capilary action from the washer bottle is too strong and pulling back somehow... Suspect a faulty valve as the first point ofcall, as my second theory may be a little unbelievable.. I mean how strong a "suck" would it have to be
(could put something rude here, but I'll keep it clean).

Out of interest, where did you fit yours... Next to the bottle or in the pipe under the bonnet on the wing (which is where i did mine).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Didn't try sucking, just blowing, and as said could not blow either way for a start. I fitted it on top of the wing where there is a convenient connector. NRV plus a short bit of tubing means that the original bits stay in place and the NRV can be taken out "on the road" if necessary.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Got a new non return valve. Tested it first using the soap dispenser bit off a hand wash pump and a glass of water.
Tried the valve both ways to be sure... Worked one way (pumped water through), not the other way as expected. So the new valve is working ok.

Replaced the suspected faulty one on the car.... and Bingo. Rear wash now with no dry initial wipe.

Surprised that Chevy dont fit these in the first place ....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts