Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Windscreen Wiper - Not Working

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Aussie Ed 
#1 ·
Driving home on the M5 last night, started to rain, so turned on my wipers..... Drivers side wiper didn't move an inch!

Managed to get to the Services Ok, and fortunatley had some tools with me.

Got the wiper arms off, and the scuttle-tray. Found that the linkage arm from the motor to the driver-side wiper, had popped off. It's a ball-and-cup joint.

Tried putting it back on, only to find that the cup on the linkage arm had worn too much, and it wouldn't stay on!

Used a bit of Engineering inginuity, and lashed it together with an old shoe-lace...... Put it all back together again, and left it running in the car-park for 5-mins on fast.... no problems.

Gingerly drove the 4-hrs home, with no further issues.

Googling it once I got home, and this appears to be a fairly common-fault with this type of linkage design across various makes/models.

According to the Google links I've read, Vauxhall/Chevrolet do not just sell the linkage arm on it's own, you have to replace the whol wiper motor etc, at about £200.

Found a temporary clip that holds the join together for £3 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x2-NICKEL...127614?hash=item2585a75b7e:g:XuMAAOxyZzlTdlVF

and also a more permanent solution, which is an aftermarket replacement linkage for £35:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEVROLET...884563?hash=item2ef068a193:g:ZXYAAOSwMmBVrehc

I would recommend everyone buying a set of the clips, and having them in the car 'just in case' this happens to you.......

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same problem and have be quoted £284 for a repair, the linkage part cost £130. so will be finding the part and getting a mecanic to fit it, cheeper than the dealership. but i would think that this is an inherent dangerious faulyt in driving, that surely requires a recall for a free repair.

#3 ·
Johnhig03 said:
I would think that this is an inherent dangerous fault in driving, that surely requires a recall for a free repair.

You dont give us year of your model but assume it is out of warranty.
Take it up with Chevrolet and let us know how you get on !!

#4 ·
Hi, I was just driving along and the above has happened to me, I have managed to get back home, but can someone point me in the right direction for removing the wiper and inspecting if it is the linkage, I have removed a cap and found a nut, now it is obviously not going to be as easy as that, what else would I need to remove, just need a bit of direction so I am not just blindly going in and getting wet in the rain for nothing,

thanks,

Tony.

#6 ·
Sounds like linkage failure.
Before which linkage component you require you need to state Year & Variant of your vehicle.
Always please give this information because Forum Members are not clairvoyant.
Help for new members how to use the Forum is on this link. Please complete your 'Location' and Vehicle details. Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

You possibly need this repair link set but check the Year (which you havent stated). CHEVROLET ORLANDO all models New Wiper Motor Linkage Rod.Wipex Kit02 .2011-2019 | eBay

You can purchase metal clips and ring for about £5.00 but these have been found to be 'unreliable' other than as a temporary measure.
If you are not basic mechanically confident then get your dealer/mechanic to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.