Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on a RED alert here in Wales. First opportunity to try the new tyres in the snow. They performed ok, but not great.
But the real upsetting thing is when out my windscreen wipers packed in. Heard a thump and the passenger stopped. I pulled in to see if I could do anything, which I couldn't and when I started again the driver did half wipe (so it is vertical) and also stopped. They are now at 3 o'clock as you look at them and not working... B!oody marvelous. Loads of snow and the 4WD is undriveable due to wipers...

Anyone, any ideas ?

Cheers...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sounds like the weight of the snow may have pulled the wiper linkage apart at a joint, hence the bang. Snow tyres needs about 500 miles on tarmac to work at their best- it takes time for the sipes in the tread to become open and malliable so that they grip the snow. You'll find they get better as they bed in.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They had all last year on the road :-( Just think I bought a bad lot... Or at least not as good as the last ones.
As for the wiper, think you are right... I reckon the linkage arm came loose, which stopped the passenger. Then the lose link arm must have got caught on some body work or somethig stoping the driver side working.

Tried to get the wiper arms off this afternoon, so I could remove the cowling and see... No joy, my wiper arms are fixed solid, cant budge them.

I even tried making a puller, using a bracket I shaped and a threaded bolt to screw against the wiper "thread", but no joy at all...

Looks like its a garage job... 1st sign of snow since 2011 and the 4x4 is off the road... What luck :-(

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got RAC out, and it was the linkage arm. the plastic joint was worn, the arm would not stay on and jammed the drive wiper.
Got driver wiper working and booked into garage Tuesday to get fixed properly.

Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
997 Posts
I love it when I get it right!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts