Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am sure every Captiva comes with the all season tyres as stock wheels. have you had any problems using these wheels on last years snow in the UK. Im just wondering because I have not experience this before. If you have these tyres, do you need to replace it for winter tyres during bad snow weather? Any comment will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't know what model you have, but I have an LTX with 18" wheels and the standard dunlop tyres and used those last winter. I had no problem keeping going, but the car was awful under braking, with it sailing on regardless of abs or anything else. My wife's car- a renault trafic minibushad snow tyres on the front and was brilliant in the snow and stopped much quicker. I now have a full set of proper winter tyres on my captiva. All season tyres are fine as they go, but that are a compromise and if you want to definately keep going and stopping, my advice would be to go for the full winter snowflake marked tyre.
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
652 Posts
Had no problem at all... Agree with bigiainw, winter tyres will be better, especially in stopping, but as for traction the captiva AWD system (also have a 2008 LTX - manual) was brilliant, and the hill decent was great in the snow.

I didnt really have a problem stopping, but I should add, I drive for the road conditions, so if there is snow I drive slowly, and brake accordingly, so havent experienced stopping problems in the snow.

I changed all 4 tyres recently, and whent for an AT tyre, so hopefully will be better this year. Maybe it wont, and I'll be changing my mind come the snow....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just fitted a set of M&S tyres to a spare set of 18" wheels. We live at the bottom of a steep hill which is impossible to get up unless you have a 4x4. I could get up the hill without a problem but now I have the M&S tyres fitted it will give me extra confidence when coming down.

The 4WD is great fun though, I was able to get some great four wheel drift round corners when the rear wheels kicked in :)

Just need some snow now :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Guys,

I had my mate from Hometyre Pete come and put a new set of tyres on and he recommended mud and snow tyres. Apparently they rate 1-10 1 road 10 pure off road, I settled for a set of 5 rated tyres and I have to say they performed really well.

We bought the Captiva in order to have options in snow as we got caught out 2 years ago. It works a treat my wife can get home in all weather's with my two kids with ease. I love this car despite it just costing me £700 1 service, 2 new tyres, brakes and pads all round and 1 new wheel bearing!

A five rated tyre did us well, must stress though a little extra noise than before but hay you cant have it all!

Cheers

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts