Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about wheels, sizes, tyres, etc....

This is not the usual what size Alloys can I use, etc... well supose it is sort of the same.

What I want to do is buy a cheap set of 4 Wheels and "Snow"/winter tyres, that I can simply keep in the garage and fit to the Captiva when the weather turns nasty.

I'm not intersted in fancy Alloys, I'm quite happy to have steel wheels for the time they will get used, but I cant find any. All searches take me back to expensive Alloys, and then the price becomes silly.

So at the moment, I have the LTX, which has 18" Alloys, with 235 R18 55 on them. So what sizes wheels can I go for, and what size "snow" tyres, as there doesnt seem to be many options on 4WD tyres on the Captiva 18" rims.

I dont want to get into the spacer, and this and that issue. I simply want to be able to swap them over when the weather changes for the worse. I know that wheel sizes have insurance and road saftey implications, as well as speedo reading, that is why I want to stay as close to the size I have now. Unless someone can educate me on compatible wheel sizes.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.... Cheers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The brakes on the captivas are all the same size, so provided you choose your tyres carefully, you can use the 16/17 inch wheels off of an LS or LT. There are winter tyres in the 18" size, but I don't know that they would be worth the extra expense, especially if you are looking for a spare set. There is a really useful rolling radius comparison widget here- http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%20calculator.htmwhich allows you to see which tyre an wheel combo gets closest to your current setup. I would personally go for a set of LT wheels- they crop up from time to time on ebay and then get some decent, but relatively cheap snow tyres and match them up using the calculator as a guide to what size you need. I had a quick look and 17" rims with 215/65/17 winter tyres or 16" rims with 235/65/16 or 225/70/16 come out at almost the same rolling radius, so your speedo reading will not be compromised. Camskill.co.uk are great for tyres, quick delivery and usually have a good reange of snow tyres in stock (they have none at the moment though) Hope that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
I'm not intersted in fancy Alloys, I'm quite happy to have steel wheels
for the time they will get used, but I cant find any. All searches take
me back to expensive Alloys, and then the price becomes silly.
I prefer much the steel wheels . Even though is not that attractive compared with alloys, the installation of hubcaps really get my attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts