Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay been here a few times with silly questions but have had fantastic help & anwsers.
Now here we go on the Diesel consumption

Ihave used £25 worth of Diesel (17.62litres)and drove 82 miles is that good or very bad

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fell in love with the car and thought nothing could be as bad as my CRV hmmmm think I could be wrong!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was paranoid about the fuel consumption of the Captiva for a month or so after I bought it, purely because the actual mpg was nowhere the published mpg. However, 5 months after purchase I've got used to it, the trip currently reads 27mpg and hasn't been reset for a couple of months, but most of the driving is urban.
My previous car was a 1.8 petrol Zafira and that averaged 29mpg over a 4 year period, so overall not much difference between the two. My biggest gripe isthat diesel has overtaken petrol in price in the last year or so, and so I am probably spending around £20 more a month on fuel.

Anyway all i'm saying is you get used to the mpg, it does what it does, you fill up, and then it does was it does again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a woman!!!!! so forgot to say it still states 40 miles to go before I need fuel, so oldroverboy could you work out my average mpg again sorry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a woman!!!!! so forgot to say it still states 40 miles to go before I need fuel, so oldroverboy could you work out my average mpg again sorry

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hi Newbie (lady). Expect Oldroverboy will get back to you - he's really good. From figures given you have put in 3.876 gallons and indicate the potential mileage as 122. 122 divide by 3.876 = 31.48mpg. You dont indicate type of drive ie open road/motorway or town/general or mix of both. Maybe not so tearful afterall
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
Are you blonde?

·
Registered
380 Posts
This is where it gets complicated. Newbie, had you run out of fuel when you put in that amount? I don't know what engine it is and if petrol or diesel. if your credit card will stretch to it, fill it up till the pump clicks. note the mileage or set the trip odometerto zero. fill up after 200-250 miles and then come back with figures or google fuel consumption calculator. ARE YOU BLOND? this is essential information for the forum!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Come on chaps allow some leeway and courtesy
. How many of you fellas would know how many shirts you can steam iron from one fill-up? I bet the lady would know that. Each of us are skilled in different areas. Hope this lady, blonde or other wise is taking this in good heart
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
Plenty of leeway given, no offence meant (even though there was a double post), and I can iron 6 shirts with one fill of the iron.

I am anemancipatedman and i think linking irons to females kinda dilutes your point somewhat! Is that where the "Aussie" bit comes from?

It would be so much easier if the trip computer worked and gave us real world figures instead of a measure that no-one understands.

And oldroverguy- your hair and mine are snap!

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha the comments have made me laugh typical Men sighhhhhhhh

Well............I can Iron Cook Hoover Clean and wash up all at the same time (multi tasking) as us women call it.
And for the record I am not blonde but a Redhead (and not from a bottle)

Sorry about the double post but it is akward when hoovering at the same tim as Ironing
I have now worked it out that I have driven 122 miles on that £25 Diesel my car is 2ltr Auto, the car states 29mpg on the computer thingymajig

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oooops sorry just dropped the Iron, also meant to say it is all arounf town driving to and from School and work.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well Well! swmbo uses henna, but she is from the middle east! as my duties include washing ironing, cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming, sadly not at the same time I need to relax by doing other things! I am (he says modestly) a pretty good cook and can multitask drinking wine at the same time. However, Newbie welcome , if somebody hasn't said it and if you think you are getting 29mpg be happy, but do the fill, zero fill bit. If you like the car it doesn't matter. Can you give some advice? HOW do I iron those oversized king sized egyptian cotton sheets?

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Good to see Newbie from Surrey has taken this all in good cheer
. I think we have all had a chuckle over these posts. Oldroverboy, Bigiain I can join you in a 'silver' hair trifecta, what I've got left issilver also. Bigiain all I can say is you must have a small tank - on your iron that is - only six shirts per fill - very poor 'mileage' in my opinion! Oldoverboy fold them inhalf or quarters. Good thing with kingsize is they give plenty of oil rags whenthrown out.Gotta be practical.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
652 Posts

Welcome miss/mrs/ms (delete as applicable) newbie.

We are not chauvinists <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>here, we just pretend to be ... hang on a minute the wife is burning my dinner...

....right, where was I... yes.

if you are just driving around town with an auto diesel, then 29 mpg is good. You havent really given enough info to work out your MPG, as OldRoverboy says, you need to fill, drive log the miles driven and refill to see how much fuel you burnt to do those miles to get a consumption figure. You need to do this over and over to get a more accurate picture as your driving style will change each trip. One thing I would say though is to fill the car past the click, right up till you see the fuel in the pipe, and do that again. The reason for this is to overcome different pumps clicking at different times. Visually seeing the fuel is the only way to actually guarantee how much you put in and how much was used.

Right.. got to go now, the wife has just sat down without making me a cuppa.... women these days

.... she saw me write that last bit....

Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ROFL as they say.
Old Rover Boy, you sound too good to be true Housework washing and cooking

I will take your advice and also be happy with my 29mpg thank you.

K.L. Richards, it's Mrs Newbie and I hope the dinner is not badly charred

Aussie Ed, All taken in jest and must say I have had a good chuckle even while ironing and on the PC at the same time

Thank you for your responses it is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Aussie Ed said:
Bigiain all I can say is you must have a small tank - on your iron that is - only six shirts per fill - very poor 'mileage' in my opinion! Aussie Ed

Ah, but they're big shirts and I am very particular....

Edited by: bigiainw

1 - 20 of 50 Posts