Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking of changing my renault scenic to a captiva. Just wondered what the general consensus is about the vehicles. Any comments would be appreciated as I cant make up my mind. Its a lovely looking car but dont know whether to stick to renault.

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think ifit ticks the boxes to your requirements yes, I like mine. I got mine for a more steady style of driving, leather for the dog hairs, room,7 seats, and size for the safetyof the grand kids. Size weight four wheel driveand power for pulling a caravan. If you look at this site maybe80%of the posts are trouble and faults but if you look at when they joined it was just to put that fault on, If you then think of the amount of captive's, Antara's and windstorm's thatare built its probably negligible and the same as any car, of course people tell tails of all sorts of good bad and car comparison tails.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Horses for courses. As Big Al, says, what do you want.

If it is an economical 50 MPG diesel, then no.

If you want a sporty fast, road holding perfomance car, then no.

If you want a practical, intelligent 4WD car, with 7 seats (option), comfortable, easy to drive, handles bad weather with ease. Then Yes.

There are many issues reported on this site, but you have to ask why. All cars have problems and sometime indiviual cars are really bad, but go on any User Forum of any car, and I bet you will find the tales of woe. It's human nature, people will shout at anyone who listens when they have a bad experience, but seldom praise the good.

I had an S-Type Jag before the Captiva. Changed to the Captiva as I wanted something ifferent and the Jag was becoming expensive on fuel. The Jag was fantastic, but look at all the sites slating the Jag for its problems.

The Captiva is one of the best cars Ihave owned. I have had a few glitches, but nothing that any car could have (and do).

Would I recommend the Captiva. If you are buying a 4WD SUV of this class, yes. I was going to get a Mitsibushi Warrior, but the inside of that was like a tractor, even with leather seats. The rear (6&7 seats) where like a fold down deckchair. My son got in there, but had to be pulled out. No problem like this in the Captiva. The rear seats are full size seats. Ok, it's like sitting in theback of a mini, but people do that you know...

For me, the Captiva is best in class.... Ok, not a Volvo XC90 or BMX X5 or Landrover Discovery, but better than the Kuga, Santa-Fe, Antarra (same but Vauxhall doesnt have 7 seats), Warrior, etc...

·
Registered
997 Posts
On a bang for the bucks basis, I don't think it can be beaten- I love my Captiva!

·
Registered
226 Posts
i bought my captiva, because i wanted a 7 seater 4x4.
i looked at all the options, and chose the captiva ( mainly for price reasons )

yes, it has had a few little niggles, but on the whole, i have been really pleased with it.

i was expecting it to be sluggish, and that my overtaking days were over, but its actually not too bad at all!!. i really was surprised.

so i would give the captiva 8 out of ten.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's a yes from me, Only had mine a few weeks it was new on the 1st March and 5 days later someone smashed 3 windows and damaged the bodywork, so the garage has had it more than me actually but that's what you get if you leave your car in Ardwick. But yes take the plunge you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The only good thing to come out of a bad thing there is when they saw the car they must have likedit and was jealous. when the car was repaired back to new you have got a car to be proud of, the have still got there miserable life with a chip on there shoulder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments guys. I've gone and done it. Should pick up my new car Tuesday.
Unfortunately its just the basic model, finances wouldnt stretch to the LT model, but I am very pleased with what I have bought. Only stalled it twice on the test drive!

·
Registered
380 Posts
scotty71 said:
Hi,

I'm thinking of changing my renault scenic to a captiva. Just wondered what the general consensus is about the vehicles. Any comments would be appreciated as I cant make up my mind. Its a lovely looking car but dont know whether to stick to renault.

Thanks
As others say, if it will do what you want, you like the style, like what you are getting, go for it. best thing is to buy from a chevrolet dealer, you will get the remainder of warranty, ask for it to be checked and if necessary serviced before you buy, and if in doubt go and see the dealer, They are not all monsters, so be polite, put things in writing and if there are faults make sure you deal with them in the 6 months sale of goods act period, and ask. Personally i have had poor experiences at 2 chevrolet dealers, ok at 1 excellent at one, and if you have a network Q vauxhall dealer near you they can service your captiva, it's the same as an Antara. I am very impressed with my car, but my gripes are to do with dealer servicing issues, not with the car!

happy motoring and good luck, tell us what you do please.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fun oldroverboy my dealership service manager said that I should only have a Chevrolet dealer service the car, as they were the only people who could do the job. My dealer is 50 miles away my Vauxhall dealer is 1 mile away. He told me that the Captiva was a different car to the Antara. I think he was telling porky pies, anyway his price for first service £280. Another Chevrolet dealer 20 miles away £165.Moral of the story shop around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fun oldroverboy my dealership service manager said that I should only have a Chevrolet dealer service the car, as they were the only people who could do the job. My dealer is 50 miles away my Vauxhall dealer is 1 mile away. He told me that the Captiva was a different car to the Antara. I think he was telling porky pies, anyway his price for first service £280. Another Chevrolet dealer 20 miles away £165.Moral of the story shop around.

The Captiva is the same car as the Antara, just with a few different panels and trim. Dealer waslookingafter his own pocket!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Scotty, sure you'll be happy with it.

You said you got the basic not LT, so I assume it is an LS model.

No problem with that at all, and as I said, sure you will be happy with it. But just to be sure you understand, that is the 2WD model not 4WD. Just incase the salesman told you otherwise... I found not all the salesman (especially 2nd hand salesmen) actually knew the difference.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/chevrolet/chevrolet-captiva//?

The honest john website (link above) is a good read.

if you wanted the 4WD and the salesman incorrectly sold it, they will have to refund, and I'm sure you could find a good LT or LTX model for not much more. I have the LTX, which was top spec for the year. The LTZ became top spec, I think about 6 months to a year later (late 2008 onwards, ie 08+ plates).

All the best...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, thanks for all the replies. Pick my car up tomorrow. It is the LS version, pre-registered 11 plate, blue. It is the 2wd version, couldnt stretch to 4wd. My kids are getting too big for the rear seats in my grand scenic which was one of the reasons I was changing my car, that and the deal offered by the Chevrolet dealer. Would have loved 4wd, especially after the bad winter we had, but couldnt justify the extra cash for the sake of 3/4 weeks of bad weather.

Very excited about tomorrow. Ive not told the kids yet, they only know we are going to pick up something at tea time tomorrow. Havent broke the news to the inlaws yet either that there will be no more long weekends away with the grandkids, unless wetake my husbands megane too!I am not looking forward to that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Scotty 71 check that it has daytime running lights. I believe these are a legal necessity from Feb 2011. However Arnold Clark are selling pre-registered 2011 without these lights I know that they are breaking the law, but do they? Check your car. PS Mr bob bob I know they are the same car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
CarManufactured from Feb 11 need running lights, any car made before this datedoesnot needthem according to my local dealer??

Asked himregardingthis as we are looking at a Cruze for my wife (still miss mine!!)

·
Registered
652 Posts
As the Captiva (well mine anyway) has automatic lights, that come on when the ambient light outside dips below a certain value, anyone know if this value can be adjusted by Chevrolet so that the lights come on when the ignition is on, like a Volvo does.

Surely there is software that checks the ambient light outside and says "IF AmbientLight < 10 THEN LightsOn = TRUE", assuming 10 as a preset value for sufficient light outside and less than it turns lights on. That being the case the software could be changed so the value is 0 and the lights would be on.... Sorry, the IT Consultant in me trying to solve a problem....

Just wondering, as if the UK government is introducing the Daytime Lights, then it is only a matter of time before it will become law that you must have lights on when driving. What a revenue stream that will become, because if your lights dont come on automatically, you are bound to forget. Actually having automatic lights I never worry about it, so I KNOW I will forget

1 - 20 of 33 Posts