I am english but i live in thailand and here you don't get log books
just a service book,
any help would be appreciated,

Regards,
Chris.

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Chris, The location where you have posted is for help concerning use of the Site and not directly your question.

The answer to your question is quickly and readily available using the internet.

Read this link and ensure that you scroll down and fully read identifying GM Vin codes.

"Identify the first three digits of the VIN. These represent the World Manufacturer Identification number. For GM vehicles, which are assigned the 1G initial designation, the following codes represent the manufacturing divisions of GM: 1G1 represents Chevrolet passenger cars; 1G2, Pontiac passenger cars; and 1GC, Chevrolet trucks.

Step 3
Find the next five digits. This is the Vehicle Description Section of the VIN code. For GM vehicles, the fourth and fifth digits represent the platform and series. The sixth digit is the body type. For GM vehicles, 1 is a two-door coupe; 2 is a two-door; 3 is a two-door convertible; 5 is a four-door sedan; 6 is a four-door hatchback; 8 is a four-door wagon/two-door hatchback; 9 is a four-door station wagon. The seventh digit designates the restraint system and the eighth digit defines the engine type.
Step 4
The next three digits represent production numbers. The ninth digit is known as the check digit, which is used for VIN validation based upon a calculation developed by the Department of Transportation. The tenth digit is a letter that represents a vehicle model year. For GM, "X" stands for the 1999 model year, "Y" is for 2000, "1" is for 2001, "2" is for 2002 and so on. The eleventh digit represents the assembly plant where the vehicle was manufactured.
The remaining six digits are the vehicle's serial number, which are assigned sequentially based upon production order with the first vehicle being 100001".

There are numerous websites which describe how to read Vin numbers.

·
Registered
259 Posts
All of the above is correct, but for a quick answer, look at the moulding date record on an accessable plastic part, such as the filler flap. Cross reference this with the stitched in tag on the lower end of the seat belts. They always have the date clearly marked. This will get you to within a few weeks of the build date.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Talking about safety belts they used to fit pyrotechnic pre-tensioners and they were generally subject to a 10 year life limitation, marked on each unit. I was always surprised they weren't included in the MOT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts